Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Isin't the wedding forum supposed to be a great laugh aswell?? Someone said. Must check it out

Here it is...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=670

Edit: That hat one has potential straight away...

Thank you so much for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Any link to the thread mentioned above, the link just brings me into the forum not the thread itself :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Any link to the thread mentioned above, the link just brings me into the forum not the thread itself :-/

The thread was started in the weeks coming up to the event by the bridesmaid who was horrified by the plan and didn't know what to do. There were thread updates on the night of the event itself as it descended into chaos and acrimony. Then, soon after, the thread was deleted to protect the guilty!

However, the original thread was zapped but there is an aftermath thread here which will give you an insight into the horror:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057262110

The basics are that the bride and groom had a 'secret' meal with an select inner circle, but even then these people were expected to pay for their own meal without so much as a round of drinks being provided. The rest of the guests had been sent to a reception where they had no inking that no grub was being provided or available. Lots of other hijinks and shenanigans ensue including, but not limited to, bridal parties being abandoned in parks and a bridesmaid being left without anywhere to stay for the night.

Classiest moment: Opening the cards and counting the money contained within in front of the 'inner circle' guests at the secret dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I genuinely am dying to read that thread now. Sounds incredible

(And can totally understand why it was removed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,986 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I doubt that ever really happened at that wedding. Poetic license for sure in parts anyway.

TBH most people with half a brain would have just said Congratulations, and legged it stat.

Nothing worse than being hungry at a wedding!

And nothing even worse than a bride and groom who just don't think of their guests either.

If they didn't want to pay for any guest comforts well then, off to the Registry Office with two witnesses with ya.

Ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Field east

Now I know it's to save money, but when I saw taxi drivers "coast" their cars on a rank, well that really gets me goat!

What I mean is, they take the handbrake off and push the dam thing up the queue instead of firing up the engine.

But maybe that saves them a fortune!

And then again, it's a long time since I had to wait at a rank or even take a taxi anywhere, and the above experience may have been when the price of juice was astronomical or something.

Still.... it seemed like a lot of work for a metre or two (no... not a meter lol).

The battery energy used up in starting a car is restored to the battery- via the car's charging system- by the car being driven for , I understand, circa 25 miles. So if a taxi driver starts his car and drives his car for an average of ,say, 4 miles between each start he could be looking for a new battery every two to three years instead of every circa 10 years. So it makes perfect sence to up the average mileage between each start.
    Also it's free exercise if done carefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

A couple of weeks ago I was in a cafe queuing up to get a coffee. This middle-aged woman was in front of me and had ordered (bear in mind the prices are clearly displayed behind the counter) something like three paninis, three hot drinks, couple of scones, couple of juice cartons whatever it was the girl behind the counter rang it up and it came to "€23.60 please". Not at all unreasonable.

The wagon offered her a twenty note and said "I think twenty will be enough for that". The girl was speechless, and the owner (I think) quickly came over and said "That's the price, if you don't want to pay it please just leave". The old girl turned on her heel and walked out with her chin in the air, followed by the others. It didn't seem like the first time it had happened with that particular individual, but I don't know for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Field east wrote: »
    The battery energy used up in starting a car is restored to the battery- via the car's charging system- by the car being driven for , I understand, circa 25 miles. So if a taxi driver starts his car and drives his car for an average of ,say, 4 miles between each start he could be looking for a new battery every two to three years instead of every circa 10 years. So it makes perfect sence to up the average mileage between each start.
    Also it's free exercise if done carefully

Buy a hybrid....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've decided that I'm not going into all the consumerist nonsense surrounding the forthcoming midwinter celebration.
    I've been labelled stingy for telling people that I don't want gifts nor will I be buying any.

Am I being labelled wrongly?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

snubbleste wrote: »

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I've decided that I'm not going into all the consumerist nonsense surrounding the forthcoming midwinter celebration.
    I've been labelled stingy for telling people that I don't want gifts nor will I be buying any.

It's one of many words that could describe you based on that paragraph

But seeing as it's nearly Christmas, enjoy yourself this 'midwinter'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

A couple of weeks ago I was in a cafe queuing up to get a coffee. This middle-aged woman was in front of me and had ordered (bear in mind the prices are clearly displayed behind the counter) something like three paninis, three hot drinks, couple of scones, couple of juice cartons whatever it was the girl behind the counter rang it up and it came to "€23.60 please". Not at all unreasonable.

The wagon offered her a twenty note and said "I think twenty will be enough for that". The girl was speechless, and the owner (I think) quickly came over and said "That's the price, if you don't want to pay it please just leave". The old girl turned on her heel and walked out with her chin in the air, followed by the others. It didn't seem like the first time it had happened with that particular individual, but I don't know for sure.

Hyacunt Bouquet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Seen an ould one (elderly lady) stealing the candles from a church today as I was praying. That's pretty stingy!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Seen an ould one (elderly lady) stealing the candles from a church today as I was praying. That's pretty stingy!.
    Why buy when you can just steal and ask God for forgiveness :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Oul ones seem to be the worst for the stinge, they seem to think their age gives them carte blanche to do what they want. We have one of those charity baskets in work where you can take sweets/crisps/chocolate and pop a euro in the box. Now a euro is actually really cheap for a bar of chocolate, you'd pay more in the shop. But the amount of people who just help themselves without paying is unreal. I've caught a few people doing it and it always seems to be older people. The box was €20 short last week, which I had to top up from petty cash as I felt so bad about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Stingemeister

Midwinter?

Yes, they should have labelled you a kunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I strongly hope you tip your fedora while telling people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

ncmc wrote: »
    Oul ones seem to be the worst for the stinge, they seem to think their age gives them carte blanche to do what they want. We have one of those charity baskets in work where you can take sweets/crisps/chocolate and pop a euro in the box. Now a euro is actually really cheap for a bar of chocolate, you'd pay more in the shop. But the amount of people who just help themselves without paying is unreal. I've caught a few people doing it and it always seems to be older people. The box was €20 short last week, which I had to top up from petty cash as I felt so bad about it.

you do notice it being very prevalent with the elderly alright, to be fair to them though a lot of them have lived through times when stinge was fairly necesery so I usually just let them away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Depp wrote: »
    you do notice it being very prevalent with the elderly alright, to be fair to them though a lot of them have lived through times when stinge was fairly necesery so I usually just let them away with it

And they might be broke now.

True that. Seen an oul one make a song and dance over having to pay .20c per page to print scans. She had several to do and would have came to the roughly €2 in total. Kept harping on about it in the library you'd swear they wanted €20, what was she printing?. Letters concerning the land she owned!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Depp wrote: »
    There's a different between stinge and theft though, my mum is in her late 70's and is very thrifty as she grew up with nothing. She'd never in a million years steal candles or sweets from a charity box!

There's a different between stinge and theft though, my mum is in her late 70's and is very thrifty as she grew up with nothing. She'd never in a million years steal candles or sweets from a charity box!

Guarantee you she didn't see it as theft. Perception is an amazing thing!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

I had to get the train up to Dublin a few weeks ago. It was off peak and full of pensioners. This aul one sitting beside me had brought her own teabag and wanted a cup of boiling water from the girl on the trolley. This was refused stating that €2 was the minimum charge. The aul one wouldn't pay it and went without. I don't know who was the worse stinge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I had to get the train up to Dublin a few weeks ago. It was off peak and full of pensioners. This aul one sitting beside me had brought her own teabag and wanted a cup of boiling water from the girl on the trolley. This was refused stating that €2 was the minimum charge. The aul one wouldn't pay it and went without. I don't know who was the worse stinge!

The aul wan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

A café I used to work at, a pot of tea for one was €1.80, and a pot of tea for two, unsurprisingly, was €3.60. The amount of auld wans who thought they'd found a loophole of 'can my friend and I have a pot of tea for one and a pot of hot water and an extra teabag, here's your €1.80' was mad.

I didn't really give much of a shít, I'd let people off with it unless there was a manager watching (very stingy company) or the customer was annoying me. We had one auld wan who we all knew to watch when she came in and not give an inch with that sort of stuff, she came in with her friend and tried the tea thing, wouldn't back down. Manager was in a bitch of a mood that day anyway so the two of them ended up arguing about the rather Jesuitical distinction between a pot of tea for two and a pot of tea for one plus hot water plus another teabag for AGES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Birneybau wrote: »
    The aul wan.
    The auld one for sure. She's not even paying a fare to be on the train. This is why the old age pension has been so protected. You have old people who would literally rather die of hypothermia than heat their homes due to their commendable but ultimately over the top thrift and stoicism. So we couldn't reduce their basic pensions even by 1% during the height of the recession for fear there would be a mass self inflicted cull of the elderly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

A café I used to work at, a pot of tea for one was €1.80, and a pot of tea for We had one auld wan who we all knew to watch when she came in and not give an inch with that sort of stuff, she came in with her friend and tried the tea thing, wouldn't back down. Manager was in a bitch of a mood that day anyway so the two of them ended up arguing about the rather Jesuitical distinction between a pot of tea for two and a pot of tea for one plus hot water plus another teabag for AGES.

Would ye not just give them the one cup between them, so they'd have to pay for the second cup?

'Oul wans....they're either stinge or they're like this.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Arent you the unofficial Bargain King of Boards?

Also, I know a guy who proudly claims he takes 6 normal small eggs from the carton and replaces them with 6 large organic eggs.

**** sake like.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

The teabag itself is approx 1c of the cost of the cup of tea. Definitely not the sellers who are the stinges in these situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Field east

benjamin d wrote: »
    The teabag itself is approx 1c of the cost of the cup of tea. Definitely not the sellers who are the stinges in these situations.

I think that the tea trolley gent/ /lady on a train are issued with a specific number of tea cups and must charge €2 for each one. They then return €2 for each cup sold along with the cups not sold. A very simple accountability/ transparency system. This was relayed to me some time ago as I love a cup of weak tea - and being stingy I thought that I could get two teas for the price of one. Not possible said the lady as I have to account for all the cups so a cup of hot water will cost you €2.
    Next time when on the train I will bring my own cup and ask her to fill it up

Advertisement