Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Field east wrote: »
    I think that the tea trolley gent/ /lady on a train are issued with a specific number of tea cups and must charge €2 for each one. They then return €2 for each cup sold along with the cups not sold. A very simple accountability/ transparency system. This was relayed to me some time ago as I love a cup of weak tea - and being stingy I thought that I could get two teas for the price of one. Not possible said the lady as I have to account for all the cups so a cup of hot water will cost you €2.
    Next time when on the train I will bring my own cup and ask her to fill it up

Makes sense to me. I used to work in a cafe that charged 30c for a cup of hot water and the whinging about it was unbelievable. The cups themselves were working out at 10-12c each before staff ever put water in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Red Kev wrote: »
    Would ye not just give them the one cup between them, so they'd have to pay for the second cup?

'Oul wans....they're either stinge or they're like this.....

Oh sure that'd just be a whole other argument. And that's before we get on to the "Yes can I get four scones to takeaway [and therefore at a far lower price] please. Thanks. Actually, this has just popped into my head, sure I'll have a cup of tea while I'm here. Give me a plate and a knife and nine butters please".

It was the attitude that used annoy me like, how they'd act so affronted when charged for perfectly standard stuff as though they'd never heard of such a thing, and how they seemed to think that the member of staff they were talking to was personally responsible and doing it out of badness rather than to avoid getting told off. They'd always try and go for the really young members of staff too, the ones who'd not stand up to them. And God forbid the member of staff who told them no wasn't Irish or you'd get a Brucey-bonus racist ramble on top of things. I let people away with stuff in that job all the time as long as they weren't like that about it, it's a completely counterproductive approach.

I was long enough in the game by that time that I could spot them a mile off, you'd know from the second someone walked in if they were going to be an awkward chancery stingebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

That reminds me actually; in the cafe I worked in on a university campus, generally one person would be making the coffees and someone else would be on the till. Occasionally the one person would be doing both if we were stretched.
    These two admin biddies ordered two americanos from me and queued on up to pay. By the time they got to the till I was manning it and one of them says that's two brewed coffees. When I told her she had americanos (1.60 vs 1.30 for a brewed coffee) she tried to start a full on row at the till over it, stamping feet and raised voices, the whole thing. When I pointed out they were clearly americanos she tried to say the server got it wrong and she'd ordered brewed coffees.
    Needless to say I wasn't taking being called a liar lying down and got in a bit of trouble with the manager afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Mother of Jayzus.

I work in an office Mondays and Tuesdays on a contract as an advisor. I'm usually in at 7.00 as I can get a couple of hours to myself. About 6 of us on the project have coffee and a snack at 10.30 with an informal chat on the project and any issues.

So this guy pulls out a wrapped napkin and in it is half a portion of butter (I see him do this every day). He then uses it on the scone that he buys with the coffee every morning. He stretches the portion of butter to last two days as they cost 10c each.

The odd thing is the coffee and scone is about €3.50 together and you're allowed to bring your own food in there. Two of the other lads have flasks with them, so there's no stigma attached to bringing your own (I bring my own breakfast and lunch with me, but buy coffee as it's lovely here).

One of the other lads said the guy with the half portions of butter started doing this a year ago after they started charging for butter. They started charging for it as so many people were taking 5 or 6 portions, using 1 or 2 and talking the rest home.

It's odd, as he spends a tenner a day there easily, but finds the extra 10c for a decent portion of butter on the scone too much. The fact that he goes to the trouble of Wrapping it up in a tissue and storing it in his desk makes it worse. He's on about €75,000 pa as.well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

benjamin d wrote: »
    The teabag itself is approx 1c of the cost of the cup of tea. Definitely not the sellers who are the stinges in these situations.
    Agree.
    When I was in college a tea from the canteen was 1.90 but a cup of hot water was 20c + milk was free. Its a no brainer really :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭4Ad

I drove about 20 miles in total out of my way last night for my brothers friend on the way to a gig..I paid for the toll / tunnel in Limerick..got to the gig no offer of a drink...I avoided the toll on the way home...I knew it would annoy me more.. he hasnt much money but the annoying thing is he bought a ticket for a girl he was trying to 'befriend' ( she never showed)....last time I ever give him a lift..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I was told this about a distant relative - when offering someone a beer, he'd take the one beer and share it with them. He wouldn't give them their own. And if there was some leftover in their glass, he'd pour it back into the bottle/can it came from.

Actually, I'm just assuming he gave them a glass, as anyone would. I hope he didnt make them take a sup out of the one beer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Robsweezie wrote: »
    I was told this about a distant relative - when offering someone a beer, he'd take the one beer and share it with them. He wouldn't give them their own. And if there was some leftover in their glass, he'd pour it back into the bottle/can it came from.

Actually, I'm just assuming he gave them a glass, as anyone would. I hope he didnt make them take a sup out of the one beer...

Has to the the stingiest person ever to do it three times to the one person :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Know a old woman who was left a fortune from the death of her spouse, like hundreds of thousands. Still goes to McDonalds to read the free paper and bring coupons for free tea. One of these fur coat types who thinks something doesn't stink!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Know a old woman who was left a fortune from the death of her spouse, like hundreds of thousands. Still goes to McDonalds to read the free paper and bring coupons for free tea. One of these fur coat types who thinks something doesn't stink!.

See, I don't think that's 'stingy'... thifty, certainly... but just because someone has a few quid doesn't mean they should forget the value of a dollar. If anything, it shows a healthy respect for money - although that's possibly stretching it somewhat.

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    See, I don't think that's 'stingy'... thifty, certainly... but just because someone has a few quid doesn't mean they should forget the value of a dollar. If anything, it shows a healthy respect for money - although that's possibly stretching it somewhat.

Stingy out in my book, won't spead a euro on a newspaper?. Seems pathetic when you are wealthy, do these people know you can't take it with you?.

Stingy out in my book, won't spead a euro on a newspaper?. Seems pathetic when you are wealthy, do these people know you can't take it with you?.

Why spend a euro when you don't have to though?

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Why spend a euro when you don't have to though?

Your not her are you!?!:P

Your not her are you!?!:P

:D

I wish - I haven't a pot to p*ss in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

On train to cork. I had my lyons t bag with me. (Cie only serve barrys t bags ). I just paid for the paper cup with boiling water and milk and sugar. ( 2 euro. ). What's the problem. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

[quote="Red Kev;10195321

It's odd, as he spends a tenner a day there easily, but finds the extra 10c for a decent portion of butter on the scone too much. The fact that he goes to the trouble of Wrapping it up in a tissue and storing it in his desk makes it worse. He's on about €75,000 pa as.well.[/quote]
    Reminds of a guy my uncle knew in America. The man was a millionaire a couple times over but if he managed to get through a toll without paying the dollar fee he would mention it gleefully to anyone he met through the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

On train to cork. I had my lyons t bag with me. (Cie only serve barrys t bags ). I just paid for the paper cup with boiling water and milk and sugar. ( 2 euro. ). What's the problem. ?

That you think theirs a difference in lyons and barrys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Can't blame her. The free paper is the Irish Independent. I wouldn't pay 5c for that rag, let alone the €2 it's supposed to cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

That you think theirs a difference in lyons and barrys
    Yeah. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought said t bag with me. I like tea to taste like tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I met up with a friend who lives in another city as I was there for work.

It was lunch time and he suggested going to a place that does take away stuff (various things salads/sandwiches etc). I was wrecked and wanted to eat in somewhere but whatever. He is known as the thrifty friend.

We go there - I make my order, he makes his - pay separately (obviously) but he makes sure the cashier knows we are together and then hands over his loyalty card to get two stamps and proclaims "Yesss!!! Next sandwich is free". That's why he brought me there - no other reason only to ensure his free sandwich.

He will also go to cafes with friends, ask for a glass of water - down that then fill the glass from the milk jug rather than buying a drink like everyone else.

Im actually not friends with him anymore and his stinginess grates on those that still are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Parchment wrote: »

He needs to be binned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Parchment wrote: »

It was lunch time and he suggested going to a place that does take away stuff (various things salads/sandwiches etc). I was wrecked and wanted to eat in somewhere but whatever. He is known as the thrifty friend.

We go there - I make my order, he makes his - pay separately (obviously) but he makes sure the cashier knows we are together and then hands over his loyalty card to get two stamps and proclaims "Yesss!!! Next sandwich is free". That's why he brought me there - no other reason only to ensure his free sandwich.

He will also go to cafes with friends, ask for a glass of water - down that then fill the glass from the milk jug rather than buying a drink like everyone else.

Im actually not friends with him anymore and his stinginess grates on those that still are.

oooo, free milk.
    never thought of that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

La_Gordy wrote: »
    He needs to be binned.

He'd probably eat out of the bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

today in work some people were selling hot chocolate in aid of Pieta house for 2 euro, as it's xmas the coffee machine was free to use this week and it has hot choc in it, heard one fella saying " sure why would you pay for it when you can get it for free" then proceeding to get the free hot choc from the machine It's 2 feckin euro and it was for charity how stingy are some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,986 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I honestly think the true Scroogies have a screw loose, or they may be suffering from some illness.

I say this because truly, who would not care what anyone thinks when they behave like that unless they are oblivious as a result of their health issues.

On the other hand some people are just plain MEAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

I remember back in my late teens in the 90s a friend started driving his mother's car, it was very much a novelty to drive and have access to a car at that age back then. Anyhow, of an evening he'd call over and suggest going for a drive somewhere calling in to other mates etc. Without fail he'd ask for petrol money so we'd throw whatever shrapnel we'd have. It was a bit of a running joke that he would suggest the drive and then charge but it became an issue one evening when we went back to his house. Part of his driveway was a slope, he'd stop the car on slope to let the petrol gauge indicator go up (due to the angle of the car) and then kill the ignition. This was to convince his mother he hadn't used any petrol and then she'd top up as the needle dropped when she was out driving. Still giggle about it - he's an accountant now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just a counterweight to the stinge stories:

Tonight we had a few neighbours round for some food and drinks. They all brought some drinks, and some brought food as well. We had a great night eating, drinking and chatting.

At the end of the night, one neighboring family was heading home, and as the bottle of wine they'd brought hadn't even been opened, I offered it to them to take it home with them. He replied "That was a gift for this house, and it stays in this house."

Good stuff, and maybe a reminder that the stingy f**ks are the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

osarusan wrote: »
    Just a counterweight to the stinge stories

You just reminded me of something that happened five years ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I have an aunt who gave me and my brothers bottles of sample shampoo for Christmas one year, she gets them for free and we were all under the age of 8.

She also never pays for tea/coffee when out with my mum. She always says I'll get it next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Wow that's amazing! I'm even more proud to be from Cork now. ☺

Advertisement