Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

fineso.mom wrote: »
    [quote="Red Kev;10195321

It's odd, as he spends a tenner a day there easily, but finds the extra 10c for a decent portion of butter on the scone too much. The fact that he goes to the trouble of Wrapping it up in a tissue and storing it in his desk makes it worse. He's on about €75,000 pa as.well.
    Reminds of a guy my uncle knew in America. The man was a millionaire a couple times over but if he managed to get through a toll without paying the dollar fee he would mention it gleefully to anyone he met through the day.[/quote]

And that's why he's a millionaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

And that's why he's a millionaire

Nobody becomes a millionaire because they dodge tolls.

I know what you are getting at but I dont think anyone really believes that thriftiness/stinginess at this level is a reason for amassing huge wealth. If the man mentioned is a millionaire there are many more likely reasons for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

John_D80 wrote: »
    Nobody becomes a millionaire because they dodge tolls.

I know what you are getting at but I dont think anyone really believes that thriftiness/stinginess at this level is a reason for amassing huge wealth. If the man mentioned is a millionaire there are many more likely reasons for it.

Maybe uses his teabags two or three times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

A man I know coasts down hills in his car and disengages the gears to save fuel.

Someone I know burns what they can in the range and either composts or flushes food down the loo, so they never have to put the bin out !!

A coworker of mine often pries open the jack's paper dispenser and takes a roll home for his own use. It's just a triangle key thing to open it, so can be opened with a car key or coin. He very proudly tells me this. I hope no one rats the lad out if he tells anyone else.

A woman I work with pinches a bunch of teabags from the basket in the canteen (tea / coffee is free). Once I caught her taking a litre of milk from the fridge and put it in her cooler lunch bag at the end of the day (just as I was walking into the canteen to collect my own lunch box). She didn't know what to say :P

Out breakfast items in canteen are five items for €3.50 and 50 c for each extra item. A man I work with will often hide a rasher under some beans.

All the above are ingenious !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

When on holidays for a few months in the USA and Canada I went into lots of McDonalds, hundreds of them probably.

The only thing I ever bought was a $1 coffee and I'd take an hour or more to drink it just to use the free wi fi to figure out where we would go next and where to camp/stay.

Also cause I hate their food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

dfeo wrote: »

The workplace ones are simply theft.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Jasus there's some right miserable b@stards in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The toilet paper story above reminds me of an old room-mate in England mentioned further back.

He was very decent in the pub but never spent a penny on household stuff. One saturday morning about 11 he was heading out the door. I asked him where he was going.

He answered, " Up to the Brit (Brittania) for a sh1t. There's no toilet paper here."

I pointed out that there was a co-op shop closer.

He said, "Those c*nts are too dear."

And off he went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

A man I know coasts down hills in his car and disengages the gears to save fuel.

Myth - car burns less fuel when coasting in neutral.

You actually use less fuel when coasting in gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Old housemate had en suite room. Sometimes hed nip to the local pub rather than spend the euro on toilet paper.

• Advertisement

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    Myth - car burns less fuel when coasting in neutral.

You actually use less fuel when coasting in gear.

That's true of modern injection systems, but not true of older carbs, where the habit (such as it was / not common) was more heard of. It persists to this day though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,470 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dan Jaman wrote:
    That's true of modern injection systems, but not true of older carbs, where the habit (such as it was / not common) was more heard of. It persists to this day though.

I know a fella who would turn off the engine to freewheel down hills.

Safety aside, it must have cost more fuel to restart the engine than you would save from 15 seconds freewheeling.

I know a fella who would turn off the engine to freewheel down hills.

Safety aside, it must have cost more fuel to restart the engine than you would save from 15 seconds freewheeling.

I knew a retired GP who would gradually accelerate to 80mph, knock it into neutral, then coast down to 60mph. Mile after mile on the motorway was punctuated by this; he swore he got an extra 2mpg because of it.
    My opinion was that he should be able to afford running an Audi, without worrying about 2mpg, and if he was all that concerned about economy, he should have bought something smaller and sold the boat we were going to work on for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

I know a guy who bought his wife a birthday card, (not on her birthday, just on a random day), with a nice greeting in the middle, he didn't give her the card, but he lets her read it when she's good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I know a guy who bought his wife a birthday card, (not on her birthday, just on a random day), with a nice greeting in the middle, he didn't give her the card, but he lets her read it when she's good

Whaaaa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

^D I V O R C E!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Did he marry a mannequin?

happyday wrote: »
    ^D I V O R C E!

She's waiting until he's worth a few quid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dealz are doing a dozen plastic red roses for €1.50

All I need to do is find another eleven people to chip in before Valentines'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Epic stinge.

A girl I work with who's a huge stinge told me a story the other day. She was checking into a hotel (she was just staying alone) she had a job interview with another company in Tralee (she lives in Dundalk). She didn't pay for breakfast in her stay.

She told me that she eavesdropped to another lone woman checking in, looked at her room key and heard her name.

She got up the next day at cock crow to drive back and went into the restaurant, she said "good morning, I'm Murphy , Smith (whatever) from room 123" and masqueraded as the other woman! Free breakfast! This woman is my hero!

She also told me that she took a photo of the hotel parking pass (to use a local council car park for free for hotel residents as the hotel has no car park and you have to return it upon checkout). It's a flimsy laminated card with no security marks for authenticity. She said she's going to fake one she'll have free parking in the town if she gets the job down there :D

Minister for finance in the making!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Epic stinge.

A girl I work with who's a huge stinge told me a story the other day. She was checking into a hotel (she was just staying alone) she had a job interview with another company in Tralee (she lives in Dundalk). She didn't pay for breakfast in her stay.

She told me that she eavesdropped to another lone woman checking in, looked at her room key and heard her name.

She got up the next day at cock crow to drive back and went into the restaurant, she said "good morning, I'm Murphy , Smith (whatever) from room 123" and masqueraded as the other woman! Free breakfast! This woman is my hero!

She also told me that she took a photo of the hotel parking pass (to use a local council car park for free for hotel residents as the hotel has no car park and you have to return it upon checkout). It's a flimsy laminated card with no security marks for authenticity. She said she's going to fake one she'll have free parking in the town if she gets the job down there :D

I know hotel breakfast prices are ridiculas but thats nothing less than stealing.

Nothing to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Epic stinge.

That isn't stingy, that's deception, theft. Don't leave your wallet lying around with her nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This woman is my hero!

If you mean that then you are as bad as she is. Your friend is a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

If you mean that then you are as bad as she is. Your friend is a scumbag.

Exactly, I'd be ashamed to say a leech like her was a friend of mine, horrible person.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

And then the woman who's breakfast she stole comes down only to be told she can't have what she paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

And then the woman who's breakfast she stole comes down only to be told she can't have what she paid for.

I'd say she got her breakfast
    But still, for the sake of €10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

A friend of mine told me a great one the other night in the pub.

He brings a guy he works with to and home from work every day as it's on his way, no big deal he said as he'd be passing the guys house anyway.

So after a few months of this without ever getting a penny of him, which never bothered my mate he stops to get petrol while he is filling up the other guy goes into shop and comes out with a bottle of coke for himself and nothing for my mate.

My mate said to him thanks for getting me a drink.
    Other guy freaks out and says your some cheap bastard expecting me to pay for a lift ( months of lifts) after you offered it to me and it's on your way anyway, well if it means that much to you here take the drink.

At which point he tossed the half drank coke bottle at my mate.

Now that's stinge

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

An old saying about a stingy person: If he owned the seven seas, he wouldn't give you a wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I know a man who puts plastic wreaths on the graves of family and friends at Christmas.
    At around this time of year he returns to take them off and store them to be put on again next Christmas.

I`ve wrangled with whether this is practical or stinge but personally I think you should never take anything out of a graveyard, even if you put it there, so I'm leaning for stinge.

I put potted perennial plants on my parents graves all year round. when the flowers die down, I bring them home, look after them, and put them back on the next flowering season.
    wouldn't consider it a stinge though. and I haven't had an bad luck either for it!!

Advertisement