Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Throw up a link to the thread I bet the op is a first poster, plenty of them shock threads in the last few weeks.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057250466

From post 24 onwards. All from a regular poster who's a brisesmaid at this wedding and understandably not happy with the carry-on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Dolbert wrote: »
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057250466

From post 24 onwards. All from a regular poster who's a brisesmaid at this wedding and understandably not happy with the carry-on!

It will be interesting to see the follow up after the wedding :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

There's a live thread on Weddings & Marriage where a bride & groom have invited 300 people... and aren't planning to feed them :o Carnage will ensue.

I know weddings are supposed to be about sharing a happy day with someone but screw that. Don't think I would go to be honest.

Although I do wonder why we expect free grub at a wedding but if you went out for a meal for a friend's birthday for example you wouldn't expect friend to pay and would most likely chip in to pay for them.

Why the difference in attitude?

I'm not defending the lack of food at the wedding by the way.

Collie D wrote: »
    I know weddings are supposed to be about sharing a happy day with someone but screw that. Don't think I would go to be honest.

Although I do wonder why we expect free grub at a wedding but if you went out for a meal for a friend's birthday for example you wouldn't expect friend to pay and would most likely chip in to pay for them.

If everyone started charging their wedding guests for the meal they would end up with few guests or guests leaving the wedding to get cheaper grub elsewhere and then coming back. It would be a nightmare to organise. It isn't as if the wedding guests get off scot free when invited to a wedding.

I know a couple that got married recently and had only close family at the wedding and meal everyone else invited to hotel for afters. A lot of people gave them €100 in a card even though there wasn't a meal yet they turned up their noses at anyone that gave €100 or less.

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »

If you make it clear from the invitations that there's no meal that's fair enough - but I wouldn't fancy springing that revelation on 300 pissed-up, hangry guests!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

If you make it clear from the invitations that there's no meal that's fair enough - but I wouldn't fancy springing that revelation on 300 pissed-up, hangry guests!

Hangry

Is that hungry and angry mixed together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

mackeire wrote: »
    Hangry

Nah, happy and grungy.

mackeire wrote: »
    Hangry

Yes, usually used to describe anger brought about by being hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

I know a couple that got married recently and had only close family at the wedding and meal everyone else invited to hotel for afters. A lot of people gave them €100 in a card even though there wasn't a meal yet they turned up their noses at anyone that gave €100 or less.

That attitude always irritates me a little. I've encountered it in my own family too. Own wedding if my memory is that good.

If you want to give people a cheese sandwich and a glas of coke - so what. Similarly if they wan't to give €20, €10, €0, or a moulded glass ashtray in the shape of a cow's arse - so what. Marriage is about 2 people starting their lives together and maybe we get to see some people we haven't seen in a while and maybe we'll have a nice day out - but those things are secondary.

I'm thinking of starting a new career as a wedding planner, so feel free to send me any bookings.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Yes, usually used to describe anger brought about by being hungry.

I love that word :D

Maphisto wrote: »
    That attitude always irritates me a little. I've encountered it in my own family too. Own wedding if my memory is that good.

If you want to give people a cheese sandwich and a glas of coke - so what. Similarly if they wan't to give €20, €10, €0, or a moulded glass ashtray in the shape of a cow's arse - so what. Marriage is about 2 people starting their lives together and maybe we get to see some people we haven't seen in a while and maybe we'll have a nice day out - but those things are secondary.

I'm thinking of starting a new career as a wedding planner, so feel free to send me any bookings.:D
    Here's the good bit the bride is my wife's niece she gave her €100 in a card. A few weeks after the wedding we visited my wife's brother the brides father he managed to drop a hint about wedding gifts saying that anyone should give at least €200 as a wedding gift :rolleyes: Same fella wouldn't dig too deep in his pocket when the table is turned. I couldn't give a fiddlers about receiving gifts but this expecting a certain amount annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Here's the good bit the bride is my wife's niece she gave her €100 in a card. A few weeks after the wedding we visited my wife's brother the brides father he managed to drop a hint about wedding gifts saying that anyone should give at least €200 as a wedding gift :rolleyes: Same fella wouldn't dig too deep in his pocket when the table is turned. I couldn't give a fiddlers about receiving gifts but this expecting a certain amount annoys me.

That really annoys me.

Round this way, its fairly tight community wise. Even though we've only been here 6 or 7 years the neighbours aways ask us to their kids weddings. We never go because we have chickens and ducks and ...

Anyway we always try and go to the church and stick 50 squids in a card. There has been about 3 or 4 in the last 18 months. Always get a card back and one (sometimes both) of the married couple pop in a month or so later and say thanks. It's no biggie but that's the way it should be:cool:

Maphisto wrote: »
    That really annoys me.

Round this way, its fairly tight community wise. Even though we've only been here 6 or 7 years the neighbours aways ask us to their kids weddings. We never go because we have chickens and ducks and ...

Anyway we always try and go to the church and stick 50 squids in a card. There has been about 3 or 4 in the last 18 months. Always get a card back and one (sometimes both) of the married couple pop in a month or so later and say thanks. It's no biggie but that's the way it should be:cool:

Yes a simple thank you means a lot. After the wedding my wife was at another nieces birthday party which the new bride was at also she actually shunned my wife not even a hello :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Getting an invite to a wedding is like getting a big bill through your letterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Seriously thought this wedding stuff died with the Celtic Tiger. I'm beginning to think they should be made illegal. One thing hasn't changed though, it is a day for the bride to pose in front of her friends and family and the groom has to go along with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Who said anything about an electric power shower anyway?

eh ... I did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Reminds me of the thread asking people if they pissed in the shower, and someone came along and said they **** in the shower and mashed it down the plughole with their toes.

http://cdn2.hellogiggles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/05/steve-carrell-office.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

oldyouth wrote: »
    Seriously thought this wedding stuff died with the Celtic Tiger. I'm beginning to think they should be made illegal. One thing hasn't changed though, it is a day for the bride to pose in front of her friends and family and the groom has to go along with it.

so it's all to make the bride happy. so where was feminism that day ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I have come to realise some of my mates are some of the stingeyest people i know... and when it comes to doing something everything comes down to price... say for example i was looking at a holiday there and the mate looks for something thats the cheapest and dingeyest possible when we could get a fantastic place for 50 quid extra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

There was an old fella who'd come into the supermarket I used to work in who insisted on you taking the bag off his bananas before weighing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

The OP locking threads because he can. Cowardly stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

There was an old fella who'd come into the supermarket I used to work in who insisted on you taking the bag off his bananas before weighing them.

if he had two diseases , he wouldnt give you one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Not quite sure if this counts are stingy or not but here goes. About two years ago after the last exam was finished a few of us went for drinks in a pub next door to the college. Now most of us were pretty hard up but one lad was completely skint or so he claimed. So we all felt sorry for him and each round one person would buy him a drink. I even bought him a 2nd one as it was end of exams after all. I was up at the bar talking to someone and just happened to look back at our table. The second he had got the table alone to himself he grabbed my untouched pint and was in the process of pouring it into his glass. Safe to say we had nothing to go with him after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Getting an invite to a wedding is like getting a big bill through your letterbox.

Do what I do, don't give anything unless they're very close family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

I never mentioned this before to anyone but some of the people in the following forum sicken me!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1530

And i dont mean people who use coupons, im talking some of the hardcore frugallers reusing and washing cloth nappies and things to save a few quid.

All the more power to them if they can do it i suppose, better for the environment and all that! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Ah there's a difference between being broke and frugal, and being stingey though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

Guy i know brings a thermos flask to work, and sells the hot water out reckons he making a fortune.He on about buying a second flask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

roofer1988 wrote: »
    Guy i know brings a thermos flask to work, and sells the hot water out reckons he making a fortune.He on about buying a second flask

If business picks up, he might be able to get a third flask :0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

roofer1988 wrote: »

Quite the opposite but a guy I used to work with brought a 2 litre bottle to work every day and filled it from the Ballygown machine in work so he'd have "posh" water at home.

Advertisement