Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

jcd5971 wrote: »
    A friend of mine told me a great one the other night in the pub.

He brings a guy he works with to and home from work every day as it's on his way, no big deal he said as he'd be passing the guys house anyway.

So after a few months of this without ever getting a penny of him, which never bothered my mate he stops to get petrol while he is filling up the other guy goes into shop and comes out with a bottle of coke for himself and nothing for my mate.

My mate said to him thanks for getting me a drink.
    Other guy freaks out and says your some cheap bastard expecting me to pay for a lift ( months of lifts) after you offered it to me and it's on your way anyway, well if it means that much to you here take the drink.

At which point he tossed the half drank coke bottle at my mate.

Now that's stinge

It's never about the money, it's disrespect. If that lad tossed a drink at me, there would be a video of him on YouTube walking home gingerly with a Coke bottle up his hole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

It's never about the money, it's disrespect. If that lad tossed a drink at me, there would be a video of him on YouTube walking home gingerly with a Coke bottle up his hole

Yep I agree couldn't believe it when he said he brought him home after that, he's back now Monday and will tell your man he's going a different way home now so can't offer the lift.

When I said just tell him **** of my mate was saying no I wouldn't want to fall out over it.

He's too nice for his own good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Yep I agree couldn't believe it when he said he brought him home after that, he's back now Monday and will tell your man he's going a different way home now so can't offer the lift.

When I said just tell him **** of my mate was saying no I wouldn't want to fall out over it.

He's too nice for his own good.
    I would wait till he tries to open the (locked) car door, and then drive off smiling at him.

And I have done it before, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I sincerely hope that guy no longer gives that prick a lift to work. Absolute nerve of him to call him the stinge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I sincerely hope that guy no longer gives that prick a lift to work. Absolute nerve of him to call him the stinge!!

Well this happened Friday and he was telling me about it Saturday in pub, so he's annoyed over it and is planning to tell the guy politely no more lifts on Monday..

But he's the easy going calm forgiving kind so I can easily see him caving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I know a man who puts plastic wreaths on the graves of family and friends at Christmas.
    At around this time of year he returns to take them off and store them to be put on again next Christmas.

I`ve wrangled with whether this is practical or stinge but personally I think you should never take anything out of a graveyard, even if you put it there, so I'm leaning for stinge.

We do the same. Have the flowers planted in a small greenhouse and they go out from the spring on, starting with snowdrops and daffodils, then primroses and so on depending on the season. At some stage in Autumn we take the flower pots off and put plastic wreaths on. They're kept in the garage when not in use.

Dunno if it's right or wrong, but we think that's the way our mother would have done it as well. Mt Dad would just be happy to keep her happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I put potted perennial plants on my parents graves all year round. when the flowers die down, I bring them home, look after them, and put them back on the next flowering season.

There's something really nice about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Red Kev wrote: »
    We do the same. Have the flowers planted in a small greenhouse and they go out from the spring on, starting with snowdrops and daffodils, then primroses and so on depending on the season. At some stage in Autumn we take the flower pots off and put plastic wreaths on. They're kept in the garage when not in use.

Dunno if it's right or wrong, but we think that's the way our mother would have done it as well. Mt Dad would just be happy to keep her happy.

You're very thoughtful Red Kev! I'm sure your Mum would be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I'm traveling in South America, and nearly every city has a free walking tour - based off tips, usually suggesting a top of roughly €5 per person.

We were on one tour, and they really did a good tour, even including a few free drinks, one alcoholic, and a few 'spot prize' vouchers along the tour. Most people were sound but I was shocked when I saw some of the pathetic contributions, around €3 between a group of three backpackers from Europe, and an aul pair who looked like they had money giving 2 quid - they barely would have covered the cost of the free stuff the stingy cnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Grudaire wrote: »
    I'm traveling in South America, and nearly every city has a free walking tour - based off tips, usually suggesting a top of roughly €5 per person.

We were on one tour, and they really did a good tour, even including a few free drinks, one alcoholic, and a few 'spot prize' vouchers along the tour. Most people were sound but I was shocked when I saw some of the pathetic contributions, around €3 between a group of three backpackers from Europe, and an aul pair who looked like they had money giving 2 quid - they barely would have covered the cost of the free stuff the stingy cnuts.

I've seen some bastards give nothing on those tours. I'd hate to be that type of ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭blackbox

Grudaire wrote: »

Personally I hate this type of arrangement. Why don't they just straight up have a charge of €5 instead of scrounging for tips. Maybe the tour guides are already on a wage from the tourism authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

blackbox wrote: »
    Personally I hate this type of arrangement. Why don't they just straight up have a charge of €5 instead of scrounging for tips. Maybe the tour guides are already on a wage from the tourism authority.

Oh my God you're right. What a scam. Hey grudaire, I bet you feel like a sucker now don't you, paying a fiver for that tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Oh my God you're right. What a scam. Hey grudaire, I bet you feel like a sucker now don't you, paying a fiver for that tour.

Most of those tours, including in Dublin, are run by large international companies. The tour guides have to pay the company to do the tours, not the other way around. So if you go on one, and don't tip, the tour guide has to pay for the tour for you- the idea is the company set it up, provide marketing etc etc
    They have to photograph the group before each tour, and then have to pay for that number of people. In Dublin I believe it is around €3 a head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Generally I agree, and I prefer an upfront price, but they don't mess around and give a solid, and reasonable suggestion for the tip, which I'm happy to follow :)

I did wonder how it worked - paying the company makes sense, however maybe the guides are being stingy to the company in that case, no picture but they would take email addresses at the start of the tour (which must be the way they counted)... let's just say they are never too bothered if they didn't get to everyone! :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I put potted perennial plants on my parents graves all year round. when the flowers die down, I bring them home, look after them, and put them back on the next flowering season.
    wouldn't consider it a stinge though. and I haven't had an bad luck either for it!!

We can't leave flowers on our families grave
    or they're stolen off it, same for everyone.

Seen "our flowers" on another grave once
    No words can capture my disgust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

99nsr125 wrote: »

If the thieves have that little respect for the person whose grave they put the flowers on, why bother visiting in the 1st place?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the thieves have that little respect for the person whose grave they put the flowers on, why bother visiting in the 1st place?
    Probably to impress other relatives. :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There was a legend about a skinflint director in Hollywood who noticed that the set decorator was taking flowers away at the end of the days filming. So he follow him and it turned out the flowers were being put on a grave.

Overcome with emotion the director said "This is the most beautiful thing, you must continue to take the flowers"

And the set decorator said "I'll have to because this is where I get them from"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

99nsr125 wrote: »

Unfortunate but true, my Dad puts wreaths on family graves at Xmas last year he was putting one on my Mam's and the grandmother, he's particular about wreaths and noticed he'd put the wrong ones on each and went back to the first to swap. Some old wan saw this and start reading him the riot act.

He let her finish, calmly pointed out the grave of his wife and one row back of his mother. The poor woman dug a grave for herself.
    Probably needed a bit more subtlety but at least she meant well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

razorblunt wrote: »
    Some old wan saw this and start reading him the riot act.

He let her finish, calmly pointed out the grave of his wife and one row back of his mother. The poor woman dug a grave for herself.
    Fair play to her.

• Advertisement

An old saying about a stingy person: If he owned the seven seas, he wouldn't give you a wave.

If he had three diseases he wouldn't give you one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He wouldn't give you the steam off his pi$$.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

If he had three diseases he wouldn't give you one :)

If he found a corn plaster he'd grow a bunion to use it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

sligojoek wrote: »
    He wouldn't give you the steam off his pi$$.

He wouldn't pi$$ on you if you were on fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

razorblunt wrote: »
    Unfortunate but true, my Dad puts wreaths on family graves at Xmas last year he was putting one on my Mam's and the grandmother, he's particular about wreaths and noticed he'd put the wrong ones on each and went back to the first to swap. Some old wan saw this and start reading him the riot act.

Saved a few quid at that, stingy bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

He wouldn't pi$$ on you if you were on fire

He wouldn't give you last years calandar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Less puns more stinge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Birneybau wrote: »
    Saved a few quid at that, stingy bitch.

I don't think she was being stingy. I think she got the wrong end of the stick and thought he was moving flowers from a strangers grave to one of his own.

A misunderstanding I think, and as has been mentioned above fair play for her for standing up for what she thought was wrong.

That's the way I understood it. :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Pretty sure he was joking - I think he meant she was stingy 'digging her own grave'... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Red Kev wrote: »
    I don't think she was being stingy. I think she got the wrong end of the stick and thought he was moving flowers from a strangers grave to one of his own.

A misunderstanding I think, and as has been mentioned above fair play for her for standing up for what she thought was wrong.

That's the way I understood it. :confused:

Whoosh!!

Advertisement