Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

^ Free chocolate lying around the place? :eek:

Where the fupping hell is that? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Thebe

Parked in car wash queue behind a 171 Mercedes S-Class (from about €98,000). Car wash is mostly manual with power wash and a lot of scrubbing by hand and definitely worth the €8 fee.

Layers of mud and grime are removed by two really hardworking chaps to leave a beautiful shining silver S-class. Mr Mercedes hands out a tenner and waits for his two euro change, which he pockets.

Even bangernomic drivers leave the €2 change to the chaps. Stingy ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Thebe wrote: »
    Parked in car wash queue behind a 171 Mercedes S-Class (from about €98,000). Car wash is mostly manual with power wash and a lot of scrubbing by hand and definitely worth the €8 fee.

Layers of mud and grime are removed by two really hardworking chaps to leave a beautiful shining silver S-class. Mr Mercedes hands out a tenner and waits for his two euro change, which he pockets.

Even bangernomic drivers leave the €2 change to the chaps. Stingy ****

That's probably why the ****er can afford such a car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

That's probably why the ****er can afford such a car...

Would only take not tipping on 49000 car washes! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Theres a programm on channel 4 about how to be mortgage free...id say a stinges on that show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

http://time.com/money/4661049/this-british-woman-went-a-year-without-spending-heres-how/
    On Nov. 27 2015, Michelle McGagh, a freelance personal finance journalist from north London, began a challenge her friends and family thought she'd never be able to achieve: Survive a year without spending.
    Aside from the bare essentials (paying the mortgage, phone bills and an extremely tight food budget), McGagh managed to last 365 days without spending. By relying on her trusty bicycle to get around, cutting her own hair, bypassing pubs and restaurants and making the most of London’s free offerings, she managed to save $23,000 in one year.

Now thats stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

but only if she was sponging off other people during the year. if not, then the sacrifice paid off. 23,000 grand saved , wow. . think I'll try that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I don't think that's stingy, she obviously was doing it as an experiment. I would love to try something like that for even a month or two, but my husband is a bit of a spender so he'd never go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

ncmc wrote: »
    I don't think that's stingy, she obviously was doing it as an experiment. I would love to try something like that for even a month or two, but my husband is a bit of a spender so he'd never go for it.

A bit off topic but I remember seeing something like this before with a family trying to a year without buying/using a product from China, think they lasted less than two months"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

I've read about her. It was an experiment in frugality. I think she took it too far though, she's go around to friends' houses for dinner with her arms swinging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I think the bigger stat should be how much she spent.

Communal kitchen in work, not subsidised everyone brings their own food/drink. The boss drinks 3-4 cups of coffee/tea with milk every day. In 10 years has bought 2 pints of milk, 1 box of teabags and maybe a jar or two of coffee. Six figure salary too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Communal kitchen in work, not subsidised everyone brings their own food/drink. The boss drinks 3-4 cups of coffee/tea with milk every day. In 10 years has bought 2 pints of milk, 1 box of teabags and maybe a jar or two of coffee. Six figure salary too :rolleyes:

Don't let the stingy fcuker use your stuff. It's always the same in any workplace, that the fcuker that drinks the most tea never buys a thing. He's probably too stingy to boil the kettle at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,662 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The boss drinks 3-4 cups of coffee/tea with milk every day. In 10 years has bought 2 pints of milk, 1 box of teabags and maybe a jar or two of coffee. Six figure salary too :rolleyes:

All the staff get together and agree to not use the milk in the communal kitchen for a few days.

at the beginning of said few days, a couple of staff members bring the milk into a bathroom and piss in it.

problem = meet solution (literally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

All the staff get together and agree to not use the milk in the communal kitchen for a few days.

at the beginning of said few days, a couple of staff members bring the milk into a bathroom and piss in it.

problem = meet solution (literally)

He probably wouldn't notice he'd just think there's more milk for him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Start a round of comparison conversation, and bring up how much each has contributed.
    Point out to the stingey fecker he owes the kitty a thousand quid.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

jca wrote: »
    Don't let the stingy fcuker use your stuff. It's always the same in any workplace, that the fcuker that drinks the most tea never buys a thing. He's probably too stingy to boil the kettle at home.

'tis going on so long now we have run out of pranks and just roll eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

I was down the boozer the other night, ordered a pint off the barman, who I know well.

He puts my pint in front of me and says "do ya see that couple over there?"
    "I do", says I.

He goes on to tell me that they come in every Friday, for a bit of food and a pint. The guy always goes to the bar for the drinks and orders a pint of Guinness for himself, and a budweiser for the girlfriend, but in a peroni glass.

The stingy huar is saving a few cents by letting her think she has a pint of peroni, I'd say some night she'll be out with the girls and will get a proper pint of peroni and will be giving out that it tastes off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Los Lobos wrote: »
    I was down the boozer the other night, ordered a pint off the barman, who I know well.

"I do", says I.

He goes on to tell me that they come in every Friday, for a bit of food and a pint. The guy always goes to the bar for the drinks and orders a pint of Guinness for himself, and a budweiser for the girlfriend, but in a peroni glass.

The stingy huar is saving a few cents by letting her think she has a pint of peroni, I'd say some night she'll be out with the girls and will get a proper pint of peroni and will be giving out that it tastes off

Does the barman know for sure he's telling her it's Peroni?
    When my wife use to drink Heineken she specified a Carlsberg glass because it was easier to hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Roanmore wrote: »
    Does the barman know for sure he's telling her it's Peroni?
    When my wife use to drink Heineken she specified a Carlsberg glass because it was easier to hold?

Back when fancy glasses first became commonplace Carlsberg glasses kept the head best. It was a pretty common thing to ask for pints of whatever in a Carlsberg glass specifically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,654 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

benjamin d wrote: »
    Back when fancy glasses first became commonplace Carlsberg glasses kept the head best. It was a pretty common thing to ask for pints of whatever in a Carlsberg glass specifically.

I once got a pint a bulmers in a carlsberg glass. just didnt feel right

same with a a non stout drink in a Guiness glass

I hate drinking from long glasses perfer the small fat bulmers glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

In my local, a couple of the staff serve me Carling in a Smithwicks glass cos they know I prefer it. It holds the head better than the tall narrow Carling glass. The owner serves it in any bloody glass - and generally charges more than the posted price.
    But back to the Bud in the Peroni glass, that is just pure stinge. Hope the hell she dumps him. First dinner he cooks her will be a lump of horse instead of steak :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

FanadMan wrote: »
    First dinner he cooks her will be a lump of horse instead of steak :D

"It's fast food, dear. Won the 3.30 at Ascot, ten years ago."
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I bought cattle off a farmer a few years ago for the luck money he said if I gave him €50 extra in the cheque he would give it back to me in cash :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

My MIL (from hell) is a complete and utter miser. I believe in the mantra 'waste not, want not' but she brings things to a whole new level. She minds my wee fella, which I'm very grateful of but rather than buy him any toys, she got an empty plastic bottle and filled it with rice. This is his only entertainment. I stopped sending up my own toys with him as she was nit picking on the price and suitability of them. He deserves some kind of stimulation.

She also brought down this yucky travel cot from the attic from about 20 years ago. When she described it first, I thought oh that'll do great but when I saw it, it looked half eaten by mice and faded beyond recognition. I offered to buy a new travel cot but she wasn't having any of it. I know I'm sounding very ungrateful but I cannot wait until I'm in a position to send him to a crèche full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭893bet

Los Lobos wrote: »

"I do", says I.

I doubt that's what's actually happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Know a old woman who was left a fortune from the death of her spouse, like hundreds of thousands. Still goes to McDonalds to read the free paper and bring coupons for free tea. One of these fur coat types who thinks something doesn't stink!.

If she's living on her own maybe she goes there for a bit of interaction with others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Cork Lass wrote:
    If she's living on her own maybe she goes there for a bit of interaction with others.

Maybe but bringing coupons?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

pilly wrote: »

I wouldn't spend money on that muck mcdonalds calls tea either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

pilly wrote: »
    Amazing how people know about other peoples finances. They just so happen to know of this old woman that was left hundreds of thousands by her spouse.

Advertisement