Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Los Lobos wrote: »
    I was down the boozer the other night, ordered a pint off the barman, who I know well.

He puts my pint in front of me and says "do ya see that couple over there?"
    "I do", says I.

He goes on to tell me that they come in every Friday, for a bit of food and a pint. The guy always goes to the bar for the drinks and orders a pint of Guinness for himself, and a budweiser for the girlfriend, but in a peroni glass.

The stingy huar is saving a few cents by letting her think she has a pint of peroni, I'd say some night she'll be out with the girls and will get a proper pint of peroni and will be giving out that it tastes off

I suspect that it's something she asked him to do.....she doesn't want the shame of being seen drinking Budweiser. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

ligerdub wrote: »
    I suspect that it's something she asked him to do.....she doesn't want the shame of being seen drinking Budweiser. :D

Budweiser=ripping headache the morning after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sam Kade wrote:
    Amazing how people know about other peoples finances. They just so happen to know of this old woman that was left hundreds of thousands by her spouse.

A family member of mine was left 3 properties and the family home when her spouse died. People presumed she was loaded but in actual fact the properties were mortgaged to the hilt and in negative equity so she couldn't even sell them to break even. Took her almost 10years to pay down the mortgages and start selling them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

A family member of mine was left 3 properties and the family home when her spouse died. People presumed she was loaded but in actual fact the properties were mortgaged to the hilt and in negative equity so she couldn't even sell them to break even. Took her almost 10years to pay down the mortgages and start selling them.

Surely if they were mortgaged there should have been life insurance on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Eh I don't think it works like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Roanmore wrote: »
    Not necessarily, especially if they were older mortgages.

Kevwoody wrote:
    Eh I don't think it works like that!
    Roanmore wrote:
    Victor wrote:
    Not necessarily, especially if they were older mortgages.

Yeah the family home was mortgage free but the properties were recently remortgaged and as part of a business which was in debt. She got a quarter of a million in life insurance and 3 properties and was potless for nearly a decade after. Only now is she selling and will pay off her debts with a few bob for her own retirement. The details aren't that important. I bet most people think she's loaded, but she's​only getting by. And when she sells the properties people will think she's even more loaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Inheritance tax is ridiculous in Ireland

nice_guy80 wrote:

I don't have any problems with inheritance tax. Social mobility is important or at least we all pay lip service to it. Inheritance is the opposite of social mobility so I've no problem with taxing inheritance, in principle. I don't know how inheritance tax works when there more debt than anything.

Anyway, more Stinge less whinge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    There is no inheritance tax in Ireland. There is Capital Gains Tax, that doesn't apply between spouses.

Typical stinge. Complaining when you don't even have to pay anything. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Victor wrote: »
    There is no inheritance tax in Ireland. There is Capital Gains Tax, that doesn't apply between spouses.

Typical stinge. Complaining when you don't even have to pay anything. :)
    There most certainly is Inheritance Tax in Ireland!

You're correct in that it wouldn't have applied in the case mentioned, but it's not correct to say that it doesn't exist.

Capital Gains Tax is something entirely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There most certainly is Inheritance Tax in Ireland!

You're correct in that it wouldn't have applied in the case mentioned, but it's not correct to say that it doesn't exist.

Capital Gains Tax is something entirely different.

Eh ???

Tax forum >>>>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Eh ???

Tax forum >>>>>>>>>>>

It's called having a conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    It's called having a conversation.

Mod-Not here you won't. Less chat,more stinge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If any of ye want a spot of stinge watching Topaz are doing a promotion tomorrow in some garages. Petrol for 99c per for 99 minutes from 9am

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103687520#post103687520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

If any of ye want a spot of stinge watching Topaz are doing a promotion tomorrow in some garages. Petrol for 99c per for 99 minutes from 9am

That's not being stingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    That's not being stingy.

I had initially meant to post and disagree with Capt'n Midnight's post the other day but didn't get a chance... however, having witnessed the absolutely ridiculous queue of cars at Topaz Citywest at 8.40am this morning, I'm changing my tune... I'm not even sure if free petrol would've been worth all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Combine it with the €5 off Topaz fuel from the AIB rewards thread and its an even better deal, no idea why anyone would call that stingy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭larchielads

Think the op means you'll see every stingey fecker fillin up every bottle and canister wit petrol that they have or that they can find. Theyll fill stuff up for the summer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Think the op means you'll see every stingey fecker fillin up every bottle and canister wit petrol that they have or that they can find. Theyll fill stuff up for the summer
    No because that I could understand.

It's the getting up early to queue for ages to half fill a tank, because average.

The limit was 50 Litres BTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

When Jet started up in Glasgow, there were queues around the block made up of people who'd travelled ten or more miles to save a pence per gallon. Crazy stuff.
    The same people would put off buying more petrol until they were passing by the Jet garage again.
    I knew of more than one who'd ran their tank dry because they were too stingy to spend an extra couple of pence in another filling station.
    Petrol's funny like that- cut-price fuel attracts the real stinges.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sallywag37

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone as stingy as the bollocks I'm thinking about, who shall remain nameless. He lives in a bedsit and keeps the fridge unplugged at all times to save on the electricity. Also he runs the lead off his phone charger under the door and plugs it into the socket outside in the hallway so the landlord picks up the bill!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

A friend of mine went home with a guy one night. In the bathroom he had a small sample bottle of mouthwash. The sort they hand out free. It had load of floaters in it. Apparently he had been reusing it for some time and spitting it back into the bottle. She did not stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

CabanSail wrote: »
    A friend of mine went home with a guy one night. In the bathroom he had a small sample bottle of mouthwash. The sort they hand out free. It had load of floaters in it. Apparently he had been reusing it for some time and spitting it back into the bottle. She did not stay.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

That Topaz fuel promotion was ONLY in Dublin

Now THAT is stingy behaviour from Topaz!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

My neighbour shares a dryer with me. It takes 2 euro coins to make it run. In a whole year she hasn't put any money in, she uses mine. So the other day I left it with no money inside just to see. She put her clothes in and left them for two days. After coming back and realising she'd have to pay she actually look the clothes out wet and took them away with her.
    She's now using my money again. I don't even know is it the money I'm angry about like having to go to shops specifically for change or her fcking attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

My neighbour shares a dryer with me. It takes 2 euro coins to make it run. In a whole year she hasn't put any money in, she uses mine. So the other day I left it with no money inside just to see. She put her clothes in and left them for two days. After coming back and realising she'd have to pay she actually look the clothes out wet and took them away with her.
    She's now using my money again. I don't even know is it the money I'm angry about like having to go to shops specifically for change or her fcking attitude.

That's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    That Topaz fuel promotion was ONLY in Dublin

Now THAT is stingy behaviour from Topaz!!

Think there was one station in Galway and one in Limerick doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

After your clothes are dry, why not just give the dryer more cycles on empty until the money's run out?
    It's what I'd do.
    At first, I'd have no problem with gifting my unused drying cycles to someone else, but when the neighbour gets to expect that, they can go shyt.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

That's a good idea actually. Hmm ;)

Advertisement