Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,825 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I've a housemate who brings all his food home with him when he goes home for the weekend

Everything in the press from teabags and rice to all the frozen stuff, usually about 3 bags full of stuff every Friday evening only to be brought back in the same bags on the Sunday evening

The bright side is, he'll end up with food poisoning from partially thawing and re-freezing stuff.
    It's all good :)
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

pilly wrote: »
    That is stingy then. Although as a non drinker, rounds do drive me mad.

Where I come from the non drinker in the round goes free, especially if they are driving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

mikeym wrote: »
    I hate stingy people.

I had an American lad stay in the house for Ten days although I wasnt expecting any payment from him because hes related to my in laws, I kinda was expecting at least a drink off him the last day before he flew home.

He was also in the pub the 2nd night he was here for a 60th and the only Two drinks he got were got from Two free drinks tokens.

I thought at first he was afraid to go to the bar but as the days passed he was being tight.

If I stayed in someones house for Ten days and got brought everywhere without paying a cent in Diesel I would at least buy the guy who looked after me a Pint.

Americans have no shame when it comes to this. A friend of my brothers came to stay and I bought a blow up bed to put her up, provided food the whole time, etc. etc.

She even asked me for shampoo, conditioner, shower gel etc.

Not even a box of chocolates or flowers came my way when she left.

I'd be ashamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My mums sister lives in US with her husband. A few years back her brother along with his wife plus kids.

The brother and family paid for nothing. They were driven every where, grocery bought, dinner cooked most nights, given drink ect.

On the last night they went out to an expensive restraint and as the bill came the sisters husband took out his credit card, expecting half in cash off the other couple. The brothers wife then said to her husband 'ah look, so and so is treating us'.

Treating us, jesus wept. It should of been use treating then for all the food and petrol they spent making sure you enjoyed your stay. Once they went home they cancelled there home phone so they couldn't contact then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

AllForIt wrote: »
    What, in case the pilfering housemates steals a bit of rice? That is as sad as it is hilarious. And takes the frozen stuff as well ??? Does the flatmate turn the refrigerator off as well to save a few pennies.

No idea why he does it, it's his first time away from home so it's not like he's had bad experiences before

He'd turn it off if I wasn't there at the weekend for sure. I've often had the heating on clock to come in the night for an hour to fully dry some clothes I'd need for the morning and the bsrtard does turn it off before going to bed, I've gone at him before about it yet last week happened again
    Dan Jaman wrote: »
    The bright side is, he'll end up with food poisoning from partially thawing and re-freezing stuff.
    It's all good :)

He'd look at food poisoning as a positive thing to decleanse for a few things as opposed to paying for one of those detox things he does once a month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Murrisk wrote: »
    I was at a wedding at the weekend where there was the obligatory box of flip flops in the ladies' room for anyone with sore feet. There was good uptake, they were definitely needed by many at the do. I was in there and one of the guests was stuffing a pair into her handbag in addition to the ones she had just put on. As she was leaving, she said to her friend "Don't forget to take some flip flops to bring home!". How mean do you have to be? I know there was probably some left over at the end of the night but at that point of the evening, she didn't know if that would be the case.

This reminds me of another wedding story. My parents were at one a while back where the wedding favour was a chocolate on each place setting. My folk sat down and a woman they knew who was also seated at their table was the next to arrive. She had a small grandchild at the time and took ALL the chocolate from the other place settings apart from my parents' ones "to bring home" to her grandchild.

I don't know if that's stingy TBH, more grasping and greedy. No thought for any of the guests missing out. Quite illuminating of the sense of entitlement some people have, for them and their family. The bride and groom wanted the guests to have them, not somebody's grandchild! And my parents made the point that there probably would have been some left on the table at the end of the meal that she could have nabbed.

Back to the wedding I attended last weekend, the wedding favour was a scratch card per guest. I thought this was a great idea. No tat that you are expected to bring home, plus someone could have won something! We never heard if anyone did but I'm sure someone in the room won something. When I saw that the favour was a scratch card, I immediately thought of this thread. There are some people described on this thread that would definitely have tried to nab other's people's scratchcards. I hope every guest got theirs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

mikeym wrote: »
    If I stayed in someones house for Ten days and got brought everywhere without paying a cent in Diesel I would at least buy the guy who looked after me a Pint.

He should have brought you out for dinner. A couple of times, TBH, based on how long he was there. Some people have no manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Murrisk wrote: »
    This reminds me of another wedding story. My parents were at one a while back where the wedding favour was a chocolate on each place setting. My folk sat down and a woman they knew who was also seated at their table was the next to arrive. She had a small grandchild at the time and took ALL the chocolate from the other place settings apart from my parents' ones "to bring home" to her grandchild.

I don't know if that's stingy TBH, more grasping and greedy. No thought for any of the guests missing out. Quite illuminating of the sense of entitlement some people have, for them and their family. The bride and groom wanted the guests to have them, not somebody's grandchild! And my parents made the point that there probably would have been some left on the table at the end of the meal that she could have nabbed.

Back to the wedding I attended last weekend, the wedding favour was a scratch card per guest. I thought this was a great idea. No tat that you are expected to bring home, plus someone could have won something! We never heard if anyone did but I'm sure someone in the room won something. When I saw that the favour was a scratch card, I immediately thought of this thread. There are some people described on this thread that would definitely have tried to nab other's people's scratchcards. I hope every guest got theirs!
    What like a Winning Streak/National Lottery scratchcard? Thats a good post for the Tackiest Things You've Seen Tacky People Do thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I bought 4 beers recently, and gave two to neighbours when we asked them for a favour.

There were 2 left, and I told my wife that they could be presents from the kids for this coming Father's Day - she could convince the kids to let her buy them and then pretend to have done so.

My daughter agreed, but my son decided he wanted to buy a different beer for me, so my wife bought that. When I said that I could therefore drink that beer that is no longer needed as a present, she said 'Now that's your present from me.'

Cheeky pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

On the last night they went out to an expensive restraint and as the bill came the sisters husband took out his credit card, expecting half in cash off the other couple. The brothers wife then said to her husband 'ah look, so and so is treating us'.

Hold on ... I think I see the problem here! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Rounds is just about the stupidest way to drink I've ever encountered.

Agree fully. Rediculous custom.

Note that in Berlin everybody buys their own. Better for many reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭micar

I cycle to work 4 days a week. So I have a shower when I get into work.

I have soap, shampoo, deodorant and a towel in work. All of these are bought by me.

I have my routine when I wake up. I'm up, dressed and breakfast eaten in 25 mins.

I only drive on Wednesdays. Rather than putting on the hot water at home and having a shower, I'll drive to work and shower there.

Wednesday is the day I change towels.

Does that make me stingy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,825 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

micar wrote: »

I have soap, shampoo, deodorant and a towel in work.

I have my routine when I wake up. I'm up, dressed and breakfast eaten in 25 mins.

I only drive on Wednesdays. Rather than putting on the hot water at home and having a shower, I'll drive to work and shower there.

Hmm... bordering on "frugal". :)
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

micar wrote: »

I have soap, shampoo, deodorant and a towel in work.

No. I would consider that utilising a perk of your job. Your employer provides it to be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thargor wrote:
    What like a Winning Streak/National Lottery scratchcard? Thats a good post for the Tackiest Things You've Seen Tacky People Do thread...

Wanting your guests to have a bit of fun and potentially win a few bob is tacky now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

I have nothing to add but please don't let this gem of a thread be forgotten :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Rmgblue

I actually searched high and low for it this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Best thread on boards imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I work in a market. There are staff toilets, with a code-operated door, and customer toilets, which cost 20 fcuking cents.

The other week I was going to the bins, stopping to chat with someone, then taking a bathroom break. On the way to the bins, group of tourists clustered around the toilets. On the way back, they're still there. Chatting to my friend, same group, still huddled around the door like it was half a pint. Pretty obvious that they're waiting for someone else to either exit the customer loo or financially cripple themselves by scraping together the 20c somehow, so that they can scoot in without paying. I see another staff member go up and use the code toilets and oh the excitement, oh the whispering and pointing.

So I was wary of them when I went over, and sure enough they were all trying to see the code. But what I didn't expect was for one of them to actually push past me, not only brazenly scabbing into the staff loos but skipping me in the bloody queue!

I had a few words but between the language barrier and the brass neck I doubt she gave a sh1t. Raging again thinking about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I work in a market. There are staff toilets, with a code-operated door, and customer toilets, which cost 20 fcuking cents.

The other week I was going to the bins, stopping to chat with someone, then taking a bathroom break. On the way to the bins, group of tourists clustered around the toilets. On the way back, they're still there. Chatting to my friend, same group, still huddled around the door like it was half a pint. Pretty obvious that they're waiting for someone else to either exit the customer loo or financially cripple themselves by scraping together the 20c somehow, so that they can scoot in without paying. I see another staff member go up and use the code toilets and oh the excitement, oh the whispering and pointing.

So I was wary of them when I went over, and sure enough they were all trying to see the code. But what I didn't expect was for one of them to actually push past me, not only brazenly scabbing into the staff loos but skipping me in the bloody queue!

I had a few words but between the language barrier and the brass neck I doubt she gave a sh1t. Raging again thinking about it!

I actually like their resourcefulness. There's scabbiness and there's genius. Who wants to pay 20c when nature calls. I think that's the scabby bit here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

I reckon she did give a ****.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I actually like their resourcefulness. There's scabbiness and there's genius. Who wants to pay 20c when nature calls. I think that's the scabby bit here.

Who wants to stand around for ten minutes when nature calls rather than pay 20c, between five people! Without being too graphic, this woman was obviously bursting by the time she got in.

If you want to come clean those bathrooms for free, pay the water and electricity and keep the junkies out of there then maybe the scabby charge can be waived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lent someone €20 a month ago.

Have been repaid €6 so far in 3 installments of €2, which consisted of 10 and 20c coins.

Rarely give anyone a lend of money, but when I do sometimes in a good mood, I'd only accept a cup of coffee when they try to repay. I can tell you'll I'll be squeezing every copper from this stingy yoke and he won't be getting any money again!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

I just had a women in work ask for a refund. She drove from Carlow to Dublin to return a €1.20 plant, because it died when she got home. Was originally marked down from €8.50.

Speechless....

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Used to work in a corner shop when I was 18. Every Saturday a 30 something lady used to pick up one of the papers and take pictures of the job section (was a 1€ paper). She would do this for a good 3 mins as she would read the odd article too. I mentioned it to her politely one day that she really should buy it, but she seemed to be offended that I would ask that.
    Eventually I just used to let her work away just for my own entertainment lol. Helped pass the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I just had a women in work ask for a refund. She drove from Carlow to Dublin to return a €1.20 plant, because it died when she got home. Was originally marked down from €8.50.

Speechless....

twas probably a present for someone

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe it was a money plant. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I live in Edinburgh so the place is inundated with tourists from February to December, some of the tourists, particularly continental Europeans would be up to all sorts.

I know it's cliché but in a busy pub for the 6 Nations last year, there were 12 Italians taking up a table. One Guinness which looked to be shared between 3 lads, the others sitting with nothing in front of them.
    They were given 20 minutes and told they either buy something or leave, they stuck it out for another 10 and were booted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

razorblunt wrote: »
    I live in Edinburgh so the place is inundated with tourists from February to December, some of the tourists, particularly continental Europeans would be up to all sorts.

I know it's cliché but in a busy pub for the 6 Nations last year, there were 12 Italians taking up a table. One Guinness which looked to be shared between 3 lads, the others sitting with nothing in front of them.
    They were given 20 minutes and told they either buy something or leave, they stuck it out for another 10 and were booted.
    technically you don't have to buy anything in a public house to sit there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭veryangryman

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    technically you don't have to buy anything in a public house to sit there

Aye but they do have the right to remove you if they so wish as it's their premesis, am i right? Any legal Eagles in the room?

Advertisement