Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    technically you don't have to buy anything in a public house to sit there

Proper stingy so, they didn't even give them the satisfaction of holding fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭Odelay

Yeah, but you do if you want to stay sitting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭al87987

My mate fell over and broke his arm playing astro.

Paramedics arrive an hour later and cut him out of his new hoody.

He went mad at the paramedics and asked for compensation for the hoody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭veryangryman

al87987 wrote: »
    My mate fell over and broke his arm playing astro.

Paramedics arrive an hour later and cut him out of his new hoody.

He went mad at the paramedics and asked for compensation for the hoody.

WHILE playing astroTURF football. Don't be stingy with grammar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A 'public house' is a private premises. They can tell you to leave. I don't know where people get this notion that it's some sort of public or civil service beholden to the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A market might be different, but I actually think it's really stingy for shopping centres to charge people something like 20 cents to use the toilets inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

osarusan wrote: »
    A market might be different, but I actually think it's really stingy for shopping centres to charge people something like 20 cents to use the toilets inside.

I hate being charged for toilets. Cleaning costs are built into the usually huge profits of these places so that's no excuse. I also hate paid public toilets like on Eyre Square in Galway, let people have a bloody free piss, it's not as if it's making any dent in the council's income!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭veryangryman

benjamin d wrote: »
    I hate being charged for toilets. Cleaning costs are built into the usually huge profits of these places so that's no excuse. I also hate paid public toilets like on Eyre Square in Galway, let people have a bloody free piss, it's not as if it's making any dent in the council's income!

Keeps them clean (usually) but yes I agree a nonsense when nature's calling and you've no change or no money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

A 'public house' is a private premises. They can tell you to leave. I don't know where people get this notion that it's some sort of public or civil service beholden to the people.

Exactly, it just means you don't have to be a member in order to purchase alcohol.

Would you sit at a table at a restaurant and not order anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Posted this in a different thread, but its also relevant for here:

A former friend who was a compulsive spender persuaded a mutual friend to allow them to move into their house so they could save money. The mutual friend is one of the kindest people I know and wouldn't even charge them rent, even though they're not exactly loaded themselves.

Former friend continued to spend money like it was going out of fashion, and still didn't offer a cent in rent, but here's the real kicker. Eventually moved out leaving a load of their cr*p behind them. Put this stuff up for sale online (anyone for a fondue set?) and then told the mutual friend that random strangers would be calling round to look at the stuff and could they forward on any money made on the cr*p.

Was genuinely stunned when I heard the absolute cheek of them, my advice was to stick the lot in the bin and delete their number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Keeps them clean (usually) but yes I agree a nonsense when nature's calling and you've no change or no money.

I've used the public toilets in London near the Eye and the cleaner is right there and working and the toilets are spotless. Same in Croatia last month. I don't mind paying for something that is clean but that just doesn't happen in Ireland in my experience.

The ones in Eyre Square or even the bus stations. *puke*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Stan27 wrote: »
    Used to work in a corner shop when I was 18. Every Saturday a 30 something lady used to pick up one of the papers and take pictures of the job section (was a 1€ paper). She would do this for a good 3 mins as she would read the odd article too. I mentioned it to her politely one day that she really should buy it, but she seemed to be offended that I would ask that.
    Eventually I just used to let her work away just for my own entertainment lol. Helped pass the day.

Tbf if she was looking for a job maybe she just didn't have the money for the paper. I don't think that's stingy actually if you're down on your luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,825 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

You try that in an Edinburgh pub and let us know how you get on.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I recently had a client who sold a warehouse property for £2.1m

No mortgage or debt and it was inherited. So basically he has just pocketed the very very healthy rent for the past 20 years. Fine good for him.

In the same sentence as talking about over £2m quid he pointed out to make sure that I get the arrears of service charge from the buyer which was all of £19.60. On another recent near £1m transaction (same set of circum- no debt and inherited) the buyer has a day late due to some delay with the bank and he insisted I recoup the late interest of £60.00.

This guy is the driest most miserable git you could ever meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

There was this Irish lad here (I think the only other Irish guy I knew in work)

Around Christmas time he invited a bunch of people over to spend Christmas with him and his Husband.

I declined, I'd been out with him a few times and they were brutal for getting people to pay for stuff and not have any cash.

The last few incidents were the end of it:
    1. When we went to pay in a bar they went completely crazy at me because I'd paid my own bill for beers and left. I got a load of abusive text messages saying they had no cash on them and to come back to sort the bill, I was embarrassing them in front of everyone.

2. His husband was sat next to me at the beach and said "mind my shoes their worth a month of your wages" and he walked off to have a paddle in the sea, I went off to the bar, was giving me dirty looks all night.

3. They'd come over to visit and bring some cheap lidl beer and then proceed to the fridge and grab a nice Belgian one, then when leaving, go to the fridge and take the beer back home with them.

4. They refused point blank to get an U-Bahn from the airport as they don't believe in Public transport and wanted to get a taxi, I said "Grand, you make your own way home so"
    They then asked for a loan of 30 euros because they had no cash on them, told them I didn't have any cash either and he pointed at an ATM saying there's one just there.
    I said why not take cash out yourself and he said "oh my bank charges a fiver to get money out from that ATM, if you can't afford to give us a loan then just say it"
    I said "Grand I can't afford to give you a loan" and walked off.

I just avoided going out/meeting with them after that.

Anyways a bunch of people turned up for their Christmas dinner thing. They had Moet and Chandon, Big turkey, ham, expensive crackers, pate and fine wines.

The people turned up and brought something, presents, food, drink etc.

After Christmas each person got a bill of 300 euros, not just for food but including a "Cooking and Cleaning fee"

Everyone was pissed off as they didn't expect such expensive christmas stuff. but everyone paid.

It turned out anyway they'd been pouring some cheap fizzy wine into the Moet and Chandon bottles, the Irish guy had blabbed about it in the pub saying "uncultured palettes couldn't tell the difference" and he'd pulled the wool over their eyes and they were none the wiser (unfortunately one of the guests happened to be in the same pub at the time and overheard the whole thing)

The icing on top was the hubby asking people for the receipts so he could return the gifts, one girls said she didn't have the receipt so he asked for the cash instead and he could give it back to her (think it was a basket of cheese or something)

Don't think anyone is talking to either of them anymore.

I also had Christmas at mine, bought a chicken and some cans, we watched Charlie and the Chocolate factory, we didn't account for any bills or whatever, figured it was Christmas and why not enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Every line of that story makes my blood pressure rise!
    I absolutely hate cúnts like that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

redcup342 wrote:
    After Christmas each person got a bill of 300 euros, not just for food but including a "Cooking and Cleaning fee"

Why would people pay that to him??.??

Surely a swift **** off accomplishes the Job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

redcup342 wrote: »

Around Christmas time he invited a bunch of people over to spend Christmas with him and his Husband.

I declined, I'd been out with him a few times and they were brutal for getting people to pay for stuff and not have any cash.

1. When we went to pay in a bar they went completely crazy at me because I'd paid my own bill for beers and left. I got a load of abusive text messages saying they had no cash on them and to come back to sort the bill, I was embarrassing them in front of everyone.

2. His husband was sat next to me at the beach and said "mind my shoes their worth a month of your wages" and he walked off to have a paddle in the sea, I went off to the bar, was giving me dirty looks all night.

3. They'd come over to visit and bring some cheap lidl beer and then proceed to the fridge and grab a nice Belgian one, then when leaving, go to the fridge and take the beer back home with them.

4. They refused point blank to get an U-Bahn from the airport as they don't believe in Public transport and wanted to get a taxi, I said "Grand, you make your own way home so"
    They then asked for a loan of 30 euros because they had no cash on them, told them I didn't have any cash either and he pointed at an ATM saying there's one just there.
    I said why not take cash out yourself and he said "oh my bank charges a fiver to get money out from that ATM, if you can't afford to give us a loan then just say it"

Anyways a bunch of people turned up for their Christmas dinner thing. They had Moet and Chandon, Big turkey, ham, expensive crackers, pate and fine wines.

Everyone was pissed off as they didn't expect such expensive christmas stuff. but everyone paid.

It turned out anyway they'd been pouring some cheap fizzy wine into the Moet and Chandon bottles, the Irish guy had blabbed about it in the pub saying "uncultured palettes couldn't tell the difference" and he'd pulled the wool over their eyes and they were none the wiser (unfortunately one of the guests happened to be in the same pub at the time and overheard the whole thing)

The icing on top was the hubby asking people for the receipts so he could return the gifts, one girls said she didn't have the receipt so he asked for the cash instead and he could give it back to her (think it was a basket of cheese or something)

I also had Christmas at mine, bought a chicken and some cans, we watched Charlie and the Chocolate factory, we didn't account for any bills or whatever, figured it was Christmas and why not enjoy it.

Jesus they are something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If someone invited me to a party but didn't tell me in advance I would be charged for it, there is absolutely no way I would pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

That's a winner. I felt the rage build inside me throughout. Excellent post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I just can't understand why people paid for it! You did well to stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

If this post is true, this wins the whole thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

People like this don't exist. This is so alien to my very nature that my stomach churned. I can't even try to put myself in their shoes. Can't do it. People like this don't exist. Please tell me people like this don't exist. Please please tell me.. ple.. tell me.... wha... *Walks off in a haze

Mother of Christ....:eek:

But try to console yourself and think about how utterly insecure and unhappy they are deep down....It sounds like they hate themselves and cry to sleep every night....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I read every line of that thinking "fake, fake, fake". More out of hope than anything else!!
    I really detest the "forgot my wallet" folk, once or twice is excusable, no more than that.

Daledge wrote: »
    If this post is true, this wins the whole thread.

Yes. Close it up and go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

People got 'bills' of three hundred euro for a party, and paid them...well, if so, they are idiots.

Funnily enough on the slightly German theme but nothing comes close to the last epic stinge..:o

We recently moved house in England and the couple 2 doors up are same age (mid 30) with a small child. We also have 2 small kids- the wife is German and defo wears the trousers in a big way and he is English- very relaxed.

So anyway we were invited to Saturday barbecue last June- formal written invite 6 weeks in advance no less. We had never met them only for the odd salute on the driveway. They looked nice and normal.

The wife sent a text a few days before asking if there is anything we should bring...more of a polite token gesture TBH but got a reply back:

1. Bring marinated pork chops;
    2. Red and white wine,
    3. A bowl of salad,
    4. Our own plates and cutlery

Okaaaaayyy then....:confused:.. we are not in the slightest bit tight so we duly obliged but did think it was a little strange. Now we would have brought our own drinks anyway.

This is the thing: -nobody else appears to have been asked to bring food.

Then she pulled out a huge bag of girl clothes for a toddler (we have a daughter younger than their girl) and basically strong armed the wife into buying a load of baby grows etc for £20.00.

Then she told us that the pear and apple trees in our back garden had...and I quote "Seen better days and should be taken down." and that our child's playhouse in the back garden is over 8 ft high therefore in breach of planning.

How the fcuk she can figure that out I have no idea as you cannot see it from her garden due to the apple and pear trees no less.

As the wife said: "I don't think we are going to be best mates.'

I think we got proper stitched up and nobody touched the salad the wife spent ages making.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Funnily enough on the slightly German theme but nothing comes close to the last epic stinge..:o

We recently moved house in England and the couple 2 doors up are same age (mid 30) with a small child. We also have 2 small kids- the wife is German and defo wears the trousers in a big way and he is English- very relaxed.

So anyway we were invited to Saturday barbecue last June- formal written invite 6 weeks in advance no less. We had never met them only for the odd salute on the driveway. They looked nice and normal.

The wife sent a text a few days before asking if there is anything we should bring...more of a polite token gesture TBH but got a reply back:

1. Bring marinated pork chops;
    2. Red and white wine,
    3. A bowl of salad,
    4. Our own plates and cutlery

Okaaaaayyy then....:confused:.. we are not in the slightest bit tight so we duly obliged but did think it was a little strange. Now we would have brought our own drinks anyway.

This is the thing: -nobody else appears to have been asked to bring food.

Then she pulled out a huge bag of girl clothes for a toddler (we have a daughter younger than their girl) and basically strong armed the wife into buying a load of baby grows etc for £20.00.

Then she told us that the pear and apple trees in our back garden had...and I quote "Seen better days and should be taken down." and that our child's playhouse in the back garden is over 8 ft high therefore in breach of planning.

How the fcuk she can figure that out I have no idea as you cannot see it from her garden due to the apple and pear trees no less.

As the wife said: "I don't think we are going to be best mates.'

I think we got proper stitched up and nobody touched the salad the wife spent ages making.

I bet you trimmed the trees and took the playhouse down

Advertisement