Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

_Dara_ wrote: »
    What's especially galling is when the toilets you've paid to use are still filthy. Heuston Station used to charge for what were revolting facilities. These days - no charge and they are usually really clean. Weird.

Cork bus station is filthy and they charge 20c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

_Dara_ wrote: »
    What's especially galling is when the toilets you've paid to use are still filthy. Heuston Station used to charge for what were revolting facilities. These days - no charge and they are usually really clean. Weird.
    Shpudnik wrote: »
    Cork bus station is filthy and they charge 20c

Aww Jesus you just brought back a memory.

I was stopped at a motorway stop in France.

There was a bridge then you had to go up and cross to get to the restaurants/shops/toilet etc.

You have to pay 70 cents for the Jax.

Which explained the lad shítting into the 500 ML Coca Cola cup next to his Lorry.

There was urine and faeces all over the place as nobody could be bothered to walk that far to the toilet and pay 70 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

redcup342 wrote: »
    Aww Jesus you just brought back a memory.

I was stopped at a motorway stop in France.

There was a bridge then you had to go up and cross to get to the restaurants/shops/toilet etc.

You have to pay 70 cents for the Jax.

Which explained the lad shítting into the 500 ML Coca Cola cup next to his Lorry.

There was urine and faeces all over the place as nobody could be bothered to walk that far to the toilet and pay 70 cents.

The jacks were probably spotless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'd be figuring out what the fuse is to the shed on the fusebox and be switching it off fairly quickly in that scenario!

This was the middle of August and we were moving out on the 31st with no intention of paying the next bill . I wasn't that bothered. If we were staying long term , that would have been a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭artichoke

Taking battery out of a small alarm clock until the following night after it goes off.

Splitting matches into two with a blade

Refusing to flush toilet after every use to save water.

Adult asking for a half portion of chips in a chipper.

I can't find anything wrong with this. It helps to conserve water. That's the problem with not paying for water. The Irish have no grasp of conserving water because they are not charged for its personal usage (yet) apart from businesses. I would like to see household water charges introduced for that reason. No, and I don't accept the common argument that it's already been paid for by tax. It should be charged by meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

artichoke wrote: »
    I can't find anything wrong with this. It helps to conserve water. That's the problem with not paying for water. The Irish have no grasp of conserving water because they are not charged for its personal usage (yet) apart from businesses. I would like to see household water charges introduced for that reason. No, and I don't accept the common argument that it's already been paid for by tax. It should be charged by meter.

If it's yellow let it mellow.

If it's brown flush it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

If it's yellow let it mellow.

If it's brown flush it down.

If its black send it back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Knew one right stinge think I mentioned this but he would go to his local College (one of the It's) and get all the freebies on fresher's week. Sign up to classes that were for students and rob toilet paper and pens from the college.

This guy was pulling in €30k a year!.

Cheap miserly bastard.

He was living in a houseshare and one of the lads had a t shirt on the washing line. Next day himself is seeing wearing it to work!.

This lad went around thinking his shyte didn't stink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

This guy was pulling in €30k a year!.

You knew Bill Gates?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

crazyderk wrote: »

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

sligojoek wrote: »
    A few months later he rang me and asked me for sixty quid for two Flo Gas cylinders that were missing from the premises. I told him to go and f*** himself. Little did he know I brought the cylinders with me.
    Sounds like he did know to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

crazyderk wrote: »

Or see a doctor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

chewed wrote: »
    Or see a doctor!

Or stop drinking Guinness :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭cml387

To those who doubt the 300 euro party bill, I know the same thing happened to some work colleagues of mine (before I joined, and it's all a long time ago).

The manager invited his reports out for a meal, with wine, some fun was had and all went home happyish.

The following day the boss's lackey was going around looking for 30 pounds of all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My mother was invited to a friends 40th wedding anniversary. It was a big do in a hotel with a sit down meal organised by the adult offspring .
    At the end of the meal the guests were asked by the couples kids to give €25 each to pay for the meal. The guests were mortified.
    When the couple found out they went mental and made them give the money back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Crea wrote:
    My mother was invited to a friends 40th wedding anniversary. It was a big do in a hotel with a sit down meal organised by the adult offspring . At the end of the meal the guests were asked by the couples kids to give €25 each to pay for the meal. The guests were mortified. When the couple found out they went mental and made them give the money back.

I don't actually think this is stingy. Not many people now can afford to pay for a meal for 30 or so people. It often happens in our family. We all split the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ludite

biko wrote: »
    I saw this fella* pick up and pocket a 20 cent coin

*it was me!

You Monster!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Crea wrote: »
    My mother was invited to a friends 40th wedding anniversary. It was a big do in a hotel with a sit down meal organised by the adult offspring .
    At the end of the meal the guests were asked by the couples kids to give €25 each to pay for the meal. The guests were mortified.
    When the couple found out they went mental and made them give the money back.

Unless there was some understanding when the invites were issued that guests were paying for their own meals then I agree it was stingy. Guests probably gave a present as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Crea wrote:
    My mother was invited to a friends 40th wedding anniversary. It was a big do in a hotel with a sit down meal organised by the adult offspring . At the end of the meal the guests were asked by the couples kids to give €25 each to pay for the meal. The guests were mortified. When the couple found out they went mental and made them give the money back.

The couple were right.

In my opinion this should have been sorted out by the sons/daughters and then perhaps a contribution of some kind by the couple themselves.

It's tough enough to get people to attend things like this, especially given the fact that social norms dictate they should bring a gift.

If they were going to do this at least tell them in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

pilly wrote: »
    I don't actually think this is stingy. Not many people now can afford to pay for a meal for 30 or so people. It often happens in our family. We all split the bill.

Well dont invite people out without at least a heads up.Dont spring it on them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

dubstarr wrote: »
    Well dont invite people out without at least a heads up.Dont spring it on them.

Don't know about others but in my family you would never go out for a meal and presume anyone else is paying for it??

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Don't know about others but in my family you would never go out for a meal and presume anyone else is paying for it??

If it was a big function with a sit down meal, I wouldn't assume the guests were expected to pay for it. If it was a restaurant I'd expect to pay for my own meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Well if it was an ordinary Friday night meal then no i wouldnt expect them to pay.

But if you invite me out for a celebration like a 21st or a special anniversary then i wouldnt be expecting to pay.In a case like that you should give people a heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Has no-one linked to yer one trying to get the hotel to refund her coz her mates want to play football instead of going to her wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

kenmc wrote: »
    Has no-one linked to yer one trying to get the hotel to refund her coz her mates want to play football instead of going to her wedding?

Sounds interesting. Why don't you link it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

wally79 wrote: »
    Why don't you link it?
    I'm too stingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

wally79 wrote: »
    Sounds interesting. Why don't you link it?

LINK]

She's a right wagon. They're not costing her any more than she was already paying, and she had the hotel on Joe Duffy before giving them a chance to bargain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I know a lad who asked his mother for petrol money for bringing her to hospital to get chemo. He has siblings and they did the lions share of helping the mother. The one time none of them could bring her, they asked him to bring her. He wasn't a poor student or anything, he was doing well for himself. I heard afterwards that the mother said she'd rather go on her hands and knees to the hospital than ask him to bring her.
    The stingy miserable git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I know a lad who asked his mother for petrol money for bringing her to hospital to get chemo. He has siblings and they did the lions share of helping the mother. The one time none of them could bring her, they asked him to bring her. He wasn't a poor student or anything, he was doing well for himself. I heard afterwards that the mother said she'd rather go on her hands and knees to the hospital than ask him to bring her.
    The stingy miserable git.

He'd be getting a swift removal from the will I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There HAS to be a special place in hell for someone like that. Despicable behaviour.

Advertisement