Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

The owner of a hotel in my home town is a notorious stinge. He's forever leaving people very short on soup/sandwiches at funerals etc even though he knows how to charge. Or 'accidentally' adding an extra bottle of wine on to the bills of big tables, hoping people would be too tipsy to notice. But the best story I heard of him was a few years back, the two owners of the shop opposite from him used to go for lunch in the hotel every Friday. The bill every week used to come to €18 and they would leave €20. One Friday, one of them decided to have a coffee after his lunch. It was busy and they couldn't get the attention of the waitress, so they just left the €20 on the table. Well, an hour later, the owner of the hotel toddles across the road to the two lads and tells them they underpaid by 50c because of the coffee and asking them to pay up. They were absolutely stunned but duly paid, but never went back there for their lunch. So not only was he a stinge, he was a pretty poor business man. Losing out on god knows how much future business for the sake of 50c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

pilly wrote: »
    I don't actually think this is stingy. Not many people now can afford to pay for a meal for 30 or so people. It often happens in our family. We all split the bill.

Stingy family.

If you are invited out to a meal to celebrate a big occassion it's a given they are bringing you out and paying for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Don't know about others but in my family you would never go out for a meal and presume anyone else is paying for it??

There is a huge difference between GOING out for a meal and being INVITED to someone elses celebration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

ncmc wrote: »
    The owner of a hotel in my home town is a notorious stinge. He's forever leaving people very short on soup/sandwiches at funerals etc even though he knows how to charge. Or 'accidentally' adding an extra bottle of wine on to the bills of big tables, hoping people would be too tipsy to notice. But the best story I heard of him was a few years back, the two owners of the shop opposite from him used to go for lunch in the hotel every Friday. The bill every week used to come to €18 and they would leave €20. One Friday, one of them decided to have a coffee after his lunch. It was busy and they couldn't get the attention of the waitress, so they just left the €20 on the table. Well, an hour later, the owner of the hotel toddles across the road to the two lads and tells them they underpaid by 50c because of the coffee and asking them to pay up. They were absolutely stunned but duly paid, but never went back there for their lunch. So not only was he a stinge, he was a pretty poor business man. Losing out on god knows how much future business for the sake of 50c.

Hmm think I may know this town..... what county is this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

D Trent wrote: »
    Hmm think I may know this town..... what county is this ?

Carlow Town? A certain Oaks Hotel?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Carlow Town? A certain Oaks Hotel?.

Newish owner or oldish owner?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Shemale wrote:
    Stingy family.

Shemale wrote:
    If you are invited out to a meal to celebrate a big occassion it's a given they are bringing you out and paying for it.

Love how people on here can pass judgement.

To me it's stingy to expect anyone in this day and age to pay for 30 meals just because you bring along a poxy ornament as a present but there you go I was raised to pay my own way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Alkers

pilly wrote:
    To me it's stingy to expect anyone in this day and age to pay for 30 meals just because you bring along a poxy ornament as a present but there you go I was raised to pay my own way.

Weddings?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Love how people on here can pass judgement.

I agree, if my family or extended family said they were celebrating something out in a restaurant or whatever it was I wouldn't be expecting them to pay for my meal, It wouldn't even enter my mind that it was a free night, maybe a drink if its something huge but i'd never expect a family member to pick up all our meals.

Weddings of course its done like that technically, but a regular celebration nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Murrisk wrote: »
    This reminds me of another wedding story. My parents were at one a while back where the wedding favour was a chocolate on each place setting. My folk sat down and a woman they knew who was also seated at their table was the next to arrive. She had a small grandchild at the time and took ALL the chocolate from the other place settings apart from my parents' ones "to bring home" to her grandchild.

I don't know if that's stingy TBH, more grasping and greedy. No thought for any of the guests missing out. Quite illuminating of the sense of entitlement some people have, for them and their family. The bride and groom wanted the guests to have them, not somebody's grandchild! And my parents made the point that there probably would have been some left on the table at the end of the meal that she could have nabbed.

Back to the wedding I attended last weekend, the wedding favour was a scratch card per guest. I thought this was a great idea. No tat that you are expected to bring home, plus someone could have won something! We never heard if anyone did but I'm sure someone in the room won something. When I saw that the favour was a scratch card, I immediately thought of this thread. There are some people described on this thread that would definitely have tried to nab other's people's scratchcards. I hope every guest got theirs!
    We gave out scratchcards at my wedding. It wasn't a favour it was just something we did as a small break between speeches. A few people won €2 or a fiver but one lad won €50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

rogercross wrote: »
    I agree, if my family or extended family said they were celebrating something out in a restaurant or whatever it was I wouldn't be expecting them to pay for my meal, It wouldn't even enter my mind that it was a free night, maybe a drink if its something huge but i'd never expect a family member to pick up all our meals.

Weddings of course its done like that technically, but a regular celebration nope.

But posters mother wasn't a member of the family or extended family.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I know a lad who asked his mother for petrol money for bringing her to hospital to get chemo. He has siblings and they did the lions share of helping the mother. The one time none of them could bring her, they asked him to bring her. He wasn't a poor student or anything, he was doing well for himself. I heard afterwards that the mother said she'd rather go on her hands and knees to the hospital than ask him to bring her.
    The stingy miserable git.

This made me sick. I would carry my mother to the hospital for each chemo session if I had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I know a lad who asked his mother for petrol money for bringing her to hospital to get chemo. He has siblings and they did the lions share of helping the mother. The one time none of them could bring her, they asked him to bring her. He wasn't a poor student or anything, he was doing well for himself. I heard afterwards that the mother said she'd rather go on her hands and knees to the hospital than ask him to bring her.
    The stingy miserable git.

What a grade-A sh1t.
    She should cut ties with him, having someone like that in your life would probably make an illness even worse.

Simona1986 wrote:
    Weddings?

Totally different situation.

Simona1986 wrote:
    Weddings?

Totally different situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Reads now charge if you need staff assistance to use their photocopiers.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,656 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So saw an offer that bus Eireann are doing €10 off student return tickets if you buy online and I'd be Interested but I'm not a student. Thankfully I have a student card starting from 2011 (which has no expiry date)

So what should i do ???

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sullysark

I went to get a scone and sandwich with a colleague from work a few weeks back, he'd be late 50's. 
    The place is packed, we arrive at the till and he begins his order a cup of tea, and two slices of toast. The order is £3.50 If I remember correctly, he looks at the woman in disgust. Then he beings. 
    'Has the price of milk went up?' She replies 'No',  'Well then, has tea bags went up?' Again, 'No' 'Ok then, has bread went up over night?' 'No, sir I don't believe it has' 
    'Then why does this cost 25p more then it did yesterday' the woman behind the till doesn't know what to do, 'I don't know' he asks to see a manager. This continues until he gets 25p off the price, to clarify the person in question earns a 6 figure salary. I've never been as embarrassed in my life. 
    Later on that day, he begins to inform me. He frequently goes into Starbucks and Jurys for the sole reason of  lifting the daily newspaper and walking out. Gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

PTH2009 wrote:
    So saw an offer that bus Eireann are doing €10 off student return tickets if you buy online and I'd be Interested but I'm not a student. Thankfully I have a student card starting from 2011 (which has no expiry date)

Well its 6 years since 2011. You could say you repeat a lot.

Some people wouldn't check the date. Could be worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

PTH2009 wrote: »

So what should i do ???
    Expect to be laughed at / get a fine.

It is likely the design of ID cards has changed over time.

Additionally, ID cards that don't have an expiry date are often refused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,825 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

PTH2009 wrote: »

So what should i do ???

We are not your moral compasss. :D
    You do what you think is right.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Sullysark wrote: »
    I went to get a scone and sandwich with a colleague from work a few weeks back, he'd be late 50's. 
    The place is packed, we arrive at the till and he begins his order a cup of tea, and two slices of toast. The order is £3.50 If I remember correctly, he looks at the woman in disgust. Then he beings. 
    'Has the price of milk went up?' She replies 'No',  'Well then, has tea bags went up?' Again, 'No' 'Ok then, has bread went up over night?' 'No, sir I don't believe it has' 
    'Then why does this cost 25p more then it did yesterday' the woman behind the till doesn't know what to do, 'I don't know' he asks to see a manager. This continues until he gets 25p off the price, to clarify the person in question earns a 6 figure salary. I've never been as embarrassed in my life. 
    Later on that day, he begins to inform me. He frequently goes into Starbucks and Jurys for the sole reason of  lifting the daily newspaper and walking out. Gas.

Must be something to do with Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

4ensic15 wrote: »
    In many cases it is the in-laws who have married in to the family who are the source of the conflict. they break their own spouse away from the original family and cause a serious rift.

If calling a family meeting spouses should be excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

nuac wrote: »
    If calling a family meeting spouses should be excluded.

No spouses should be included.They are family.And often times its a way to get the weaker ones on their own and get them to agree to stuff they wouldnt get away wiht if their spouse was there.

dubstarr wrote: »
    No spouses should be included.
    Do you mean "No, spouses should be included."?

Eats, shoots and leaves and all that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Victor wrote: »
    Do you mean "No, spouses should be included."?

Eats, shoots and leaves and all that. :)

Ye go ahead and pull me up on my grammar,make you feel big now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

You should have a space after that comma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Recommendation of excluding spouses is based on many years' experience as a solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

dubstarr wrote:

To be fair he was asking for clarification rather than pointing out an error. Your meaning could have gone opposite ways.

• Advertisement

The point being, you said exactly the opposite of what you meant. :)

You said:
    "No spouses should be included."

You meant:
    "Spouses should be included."

Advertisement