Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year vet grad entry

Options
  • 29-01-2014 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has any information on how hard/limited it is to get into the four year vet grad programme? How good a degree do you really need and what the GAMSAT questions entail? I'm currently doing animal science, always wanted to do veterinary but gave up on the points in the leaving due to family matters and didn't repeat at the time as I didn't feel certain I'd be able for the pressure again. Knew this was a harder option said at least I'd have a degree to fall back on, but seems extremely rare that irish grads get through going of hear say!

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Have you thought about doing it abroad? You could do it in Kosice for 4 years if you are a graduate. It seems to very difficult to get into the grad route in UCD, and very expensive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 James1001

Hi Loulou,
    Firstly, the GAMSATs are hard, but it's not as competitive as you might think. I'm first year grad entry and did the GAMSATs. The ratio of applications to places is 10:1, which IMHO is pretty good.
    I'm not sure where this chat of Kosice came from, but Dublin is one of the few accredited by the AVMA Aand BVA as well as in Ireland itself.
    For taking the GAMSATs there are booklets to help you practice for them, including some past papers: GET THEM, they'll make your life a lot easier.
    If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

So any graduate can train to be a vet, what does this gmsat entail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

James1001 wrote: »
    I'm not sure where this chat of Kosice came from,QUOTE]

I know two vets who qualified there and are now working in Ireland. Have you not heard of it before?

So any graduate can train to be a vet, what does this gmsat entail.

Various things! First paper is science based, Maths biology chemistry and physics. Hence why I'd advise buyin some books for it or e-books.
    Second paper is English and reasoning. Horrible stuff including poem interpretation (which my sister with a degree in English literature degree found hard!) finally the last paper is two essays, they give you 5 statements and you write an essay based on them.

I allowed a week for studying and that was almost enough. So maybe allow 2 weeks and work hard, my 1 week was intensive and hard. Take energy drinks and food for the exams. You WILL need them!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

You also need a 2.2 in your primary degree. I did a bit more study for GAMSAT than James1001 did, but despite a non science background I did well enough to get a decent score first time round -I'm in the 5 year grad program.
    You also need about 80k to pay the fees over the 4 years, which for many of my friends doing it, is the hard part as Irish banks don't seem to want to lend for that.

I'm not sure where this chat of Kosice came from,QUOTE]

I know two vets who qualified there and are now working in Ireland. Have you not heard of it before?

No, unfortunately not, but I'm from uk. Even UCD isn't much known.
    I'm glad for 2:2 entry requirements. Uk require 2:1. The teaching is brilliant here, I've passed everything thus far.

Good luck to those applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 loulou91

Wisco wrote: »
    You also need a 2.2 in your primary degree. I did a bit more study for GAMSAT than James1001 did, but despite a non science background I did well enough to get a decent score first time round -I'm in the 5 year grad program.
    You also need about 80k to pay the fees over the 4 years, which for many of my friends doing it, is the hard part as Irish banks don't seem to want to lend for that.

hi wisco
    Would you know how your friends actually managed to pay d 80k? which banks actually offer a good amount that would help? so far all I seem to find is around 7.5k which is only a tenth of what I need like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 loulou91

Hi Loulou,
    Firstly, the GAMSATs are hard, but it's not as competitive as you might think. I'm first year grad entry and did the GAMSATs. The ratio of applications to places is 10:1, which IMHO is pretty good.
    I'm not sure where this chat of Kosice came from, but Dublin is one of the few accredited by the AVMA Aand BVA as well as in Ireland itself.
    For taking the GAMSATs there are booklets to help you practice for them, including some past papers: GET THEM, they'll make your life a lot easier.
    If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

James
    thanks for your help!
    I hadn't replied as Id given up on the idea due to the fees! I'm now graduated and now know I really want it now I'm so close. I've decided to do the GAMSAT if I can find a bank that would offer a loan that is worth considering as it would disgust me to ask my father for it. and simply couldn't do it to him. do you know how students normally get the money for it apart from off there parents like what loans or banks would act help. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

loulou91 wrote: »
    James
    thanks for your help!
    I hadn't replied as Id given up on the idea due to the fees! I'm now graduated and now know I really want it now I'm so close. I've decided to do the GAMSAT if I can find a bank that would offer a loan that is worth considering as it would disgust me to ask my father for it. and simply couldn't do it to him. do you know how students normally get the money for it apart from off there parents like what loans or banks would act help. thanks!

Any Irish students I know of that needed to borrow the money did it by parents remortgaging their house and then paying them back when working. Bear in mind even if you do manage to finance it, the pay in veterinary isn't fantastic, you'd be a long time paying back the fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Yep, most people I know had to get parents to help- either by cosigning loan or borrowing via the parents. I do also know one person who had of drop out as she couldn't get money for fees after 1st year, so was 20000 in debt with nothing to show for it. Banks won't loan the full amount up front, it's generalky a year to year thing but also know someone who got screwed over there- got money for first year from bank then couldn't get loan by themselves second year. Be very very sure before you do it is my advice. In terms of wages, pay for vets in Ireland isn't great, so you'll be looking at some seriously long term repayments- pay in some other parts of the world is ok, but not everyone wants to work abroad.

Advertisement