Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish and Turk want to marry in Istanbul Aug 2014!!

• 29-01-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi There,

I am really hoping you can help me. My Turkish partner is living in Ireland for yrs (I am Irish). We would like to get married in Istanbul civil ceremony and go to a hotel for reception dinner and dancing and stay at the hotel. if the hotel had wedding photo grounds this would be perfect otherwise a nice park nearby. we are having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to go about this. websites are about UK to Turkey etc.

I cant find a wedding planner for Ireland that do Istanbul weddings. we would like to get married in mid August this year 2014. today I rang my DFA dept for civil marriages abroad office about the freedom to marry certificate. She said it is too early to apply as it will expire in 120 days. But we need to give dates to our family and friends and we can't do that until we have this cert, bloods, my paperwork translated to Turkish along with my partners to be all sorted and then we can give dates?? how do I give a date of wedding for my freedom to marry when Turkey wont give dates until they receive all paperwork?

I am really confused and time is running out. if we don't tell our Irish relatives and friends of date they wont be able to save to come to Turkey. Please can you help us!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

tazyal wrote: »
    if we don't tell our Irish relatives and friends of date they wont be able to save to come to Turkey. Please can you help us!!

sorry cant help with the other parts but seriously this is a non issue. They can save NOW for it if they have to they don't need the exact date to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tazyal

D3PO wrote: »
    sorry cant help with the other parts but seriously this is a non issue. They can save NOW for it if they have to they don't need the exact date to save money.

Yeah that is true, flights are going to go up in March though apparently and could double closer to the time but sure we can only do our best. Thanks a mill:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HannaCecilia

Hi
    We had a similar problem, getting married in May in Sweden (im swedish fiancee is Irish) and the registrar over there dont take your booking until you've the Swedish version of Cert of Freedom which you need the Irish version of to apply in the first place.
    So what we did was that we have done a temporary booking of the date and time with them and told our family and friends. Took a bit of calling around and nagging but it worked in the end, might work for you.
    If not do what D3PO said, tell them the date your hoping for and tell them to save now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

All marriages in Turkey must be performed under the authority of the Turkish Civil Code to be legally recognized. Religious ceremonies are not legally recognized
    A medical examination is required in order to marry. The examination may be performed in designated medical clinics determined by the Turkish Bureau of Marriages. Each marriage bureau will use different clinics for these tests. You will need to contact the marriage bureau of your choice for the addresses of these clinics. A report of medical examination includes applicant's blood type and results of blood tests for HIV, Hepatitis B & C, and Syphilis and indicates that the applicant has no contagious diseases
    Obtain an Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry from the irish Embassy
    The Turkish government requires authentication
    take the notarized Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry together with a copy to the Consular Department of the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). The MFA is located at Dr. Sadik Ahmet Cad. No.8 Balgat, Ankara, Tel: (312) 292-2030.
    3.Make three copies of both sides of this affidavit (after MFA has stamped it) and one copy of the data and photo pages of your passport or ID card, if military. (They are required in the marriage bureau).
    Each person will need to have five photographs, front view, 2x2 inches in siz5.Each Mayoral District has a marriage bureau. Learn which district your residence falls and pick up a "Marriage Declaration" form (Evlenme Beyannamesi), from the Marriage Bureau. Below are selected Marriage Bureaus in Ankara:
    Cankaya Belediyesi
    Evlendirme Dairesi
    Vedat Dalokay Nikah Sarayi,
    Cok Katli Oto Park Karsisi,
    Kurtulus Parki ici, Sihhiye, Ankara.
    Tel: (312) 431-1667
    http://www.cankaya-bld.gov.tr

Altindag Belediyesi
    Evlendirme Dairesi
    Genclik Parki Ici
    Ulus, Ankara
    Tel: (312) 310-1634
    http://www.altindag-bld.gov.tr

Yenimahalle Belediyesi
    Evlendirme Dairesi
    Belediye Sarayi Kat: 3
    Ivedik Caddesi
    Yenimahalle, Ankara
    Tel: (312) 315-7193
    Direct or (312) 343-3000x2280
    http://www.yenimahalle.bel.tr

Kecioren Belediyesi
    Evlendirme Dairesi
    Kecioren Belediyesi Kat: 2
    Kalaba Kent Meydani
    Kecioren, Ankara
    Tel: (312) 361-1046 or
    (312) 361-1065x1192
    http://www.kecioren.bel.tr
    marriage declaration form in Turkish

After affixing the pictures, the marriage declaration must be certified by a district alderman (muhtar).

When completing the marriage declaration be careful not to make any errant marks. Neatly cross out any mistakes and initial next to the correction.

Be sure to note your prior marital history -- single, widowed or divorced. If widowed or divorced state the exact date of the termination of the marriage including day, month and year. (Turkish women must obtain a Turkish court Decree of Waiver to be eligible to re-marry within 300 days after the termination of a prior marriage.)
    The applicant’s date of birth should be written as day, month, and year.
    Two letter-sized envelopes and postage stamps should be brought during the application.

Depending on your answers, the marriage official may require additional steps to be taken. For instance, if you stated that you need your future spouse to undergo a medical examination, you may be referred to a health institution for this purpose. In this case, an appointment for the wedding may be set for after the examination.
    Two witnesses who are not your close relatives must attend the marriage ceremony. If your Turkish is limited, an interpreter/translator will be required to assist you in understanding and responding to the marriage officer's questions. A witness may NOT simultaneously act as an interpreter. Marriage ceremonies will not be performed within 48 hours of submitting your documents to the marriage bureau

Advertisement