Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Costs of owning a cruiser

• 29-01-2014 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Can anyone give me an indication please as to what annual costs I would face if I buy an old cruiser for putting on the Shannon - aside from mechanical maintenance. Insurance, survey, registration, berth? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Paul welcome to the forum.

As of now registration is free "soon to change":(

Survey about €200 up depending on the size.

Insurance depends on a few things like how much you insure it for how fast it goes, where it's moored and how much experience you have. I would say around the €300 mark.

Mooring you pay by the foot so for a small cruiser about 25 foot €1000-€1500

A bit more info here http://www.iwai.ie/boating/boatonthewater.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

apart from your list. petrol or diesel im sure a few more expenses will crop up but once mooring fees are paid you can work on the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paul maynooth

Thanks Fergal.b and Davlacey. i had a look at that link.

I didn't realise mooring cost that much. It would seem to me that no mooring fees are being paid for a lot of the boats tied up on the canals, etc.

Can I ask another two basic questions please?

Can a survey be done on a boat in the water?
    Can any problems arise if you buy a boat that is not registered anywhere?

paul. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Ideally surveyors like to see the boat in and out of the water, they will more than likely do the report if it's one or the other but would consider it incomplete it may not be a big problem for you as you own the boat but if you were buying it and you wanted it's moisture readings and all below the waterline fittings checked and the drive system it would have to be lifted. Best thing to do is give them a ring. These are good guy's to deal with and here is their check list.http://www.oceanireland.com/boat-marine-surveys/survey-checklist/

There is no problem if a boat was not registered most of them along the coast are not and a good few inland. A Registered boat is given a number just to help identify it, it is not in any way proof of ownership so depending on the value of the boat you might need the proper paperwork for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paul maynooth

Thanks Fergal.b.

• Advertisement
Advertisement