Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows not genuine?

• 30-01-2014 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

I've just got my laptop back from repair and now have a message in the corner of my screen telling me that my copy of windows is not genuine, and i'm getting a pop up saying i may be the victim of counterfeiting.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

weiland79 wrote: »
    I've just got my laptop back from repair and now have a message in the corner of my screen telling me that my copy of windows is not genuine, and i'm getting a pop up saying i may be the victim of counterfeiting.

Bring it back to who repaired it and request that they activate it. It might be that whoever repaired it may have forgotten to activate it after a reinstall, or possibly installed a counterfeit OS. Either way bring it back would be my advice. Does the version of Windows you have on it (Press the [Windows key] and [Pause] to find out) match the one on the sticker underneath the laptop (or on some machines underneath the battery)?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭weiland79

yoyo wrote: »
    Bring it back to who repaired it and request that they activate it. It might be that whoever repaired it may have forgotten to activate it after a reinstall, or possibly installed a counterfeit OS. Either way bring it back would be my advice. Does the version of Windows you have on it (Press the [Windows key] and [Pause] to find out) match the one on the sticker underneath the laptop (or on some machines underneath the battery)?

Nick

Thanks Nick I'll check that when i get home this evening.I have the install discs at home can i just reinstall with those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You could but why should you - you either paid for a repair or it was covered under warranty, so the laptop should have been delivered back to you in perfect working order.

Advertisement