Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HVAC any good for jobs?

Options
  • 30-01-2014 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of doing a Course in HVAC at DIT which runs for 20 wks and 140 hrs and costs €835.00 for the course.

I already have a Diploma in Electronics Eng from GMIT, a Diploma in Information Technology from DCU, a level 6 Major award from Fas in Industrial Automation covering PLC's, Pneumatics and Electrical Control.

I have over 20 yrs experience in technical work in 3 companies including computer systems test and mnfg, PC repair and Semiconductor operations.

I am currently working in a completely different field and have been for the last 4 yrs but would like to have an alternative plan for revenue generation if things go pear shaped or slow down.

Would a HVAC skillset be attractive in the current jobs market?

I cannot do a degree as the 2-3 yrs fulltime study and cost, at an estimated 2-3k per annum would not be justified by any increase in earnings over the 7 yrs I would have left in active employment ( I am now 55 and assume 3 yrs to ramp up to level 8 degree level in a new field since getting level 7 in 1995)

What kind of money would HVAC workers expect and what chances of getting shift or night or weekend (ie. high paying) work. I did regular office hours in my last job and the drop in pay from shift work in my second-last job was a shock. With the current high tax regime do shift premiums and extra pay still make doing shift work, irregular hours attractive or has that been destroyed by high taxes??

Advertisement