Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting an Apartment with a Pet Dog

Options
  • 30-01-2014 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Just wondering has anyone any experience in renting with a pet dog. A quick daft search shows very limited options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

You could just fail to mention you have a pet dog when signing the lease. There is a no-pets policy in our apartment complex but a number of tenents still keep dogs. But as long as they are not a nuisence and the owners keep the common areas clean of their pets 'remains' then they are pretty much tolerated. I'd imagine the same is true for many larger apartment complexes. It might be a bit more problematic in smaller blokes or houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

The landlord may not be happy to subsequently find out there's a dog in the apartment, probably in breach of his/her lease conditions. Many would probably retain some/all of the deposit for additional cleaning.
    I'd say you're better off being up front about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

halfback5 wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone any experience in renting with a pet dog. A quick daft search shows very limited options

Most management companies do not allow pets in the apartments so therefore landlords will not allow them either, if you look at most house rules it states that if any animal is disturbing the other tenants it must be relocated or removed from the apartment, also its not very fair to a dog to be in an apartment.
    I am a landlord myself and I did have tenants that brought a dog in without my knowledge it wrecked the place chewed up presses, lights and skirting.
    I was very annoyed as it was a new apartment and I love animals and am involved in animal rescue but I was going to have to ask them to leave in the end they left themselves thankfully.
    Most management companies dictate on the dog / animal rule, try seeing if there are house shares where people dont mind animals.

Advertisement