Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miniscule iPad dilemma...

• 30-01-2014 2:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Apple-istas.

I've a minor dilemma. About as 'first-world' as dilemmas get, in fact. I can avail through work of an iPad at the educational price. The deal is 25% up front, and the remainder in 12 monthly payments.So basically, small-ish upfront payment, and barely noticeable monthly deductions from salary. I'm looking at the iPad Air 16GB. The 32 GB would cost about 8 quid more a month, the 64 about 12.

Is the increase in giggabytage worth the cash. It'll be used mainly for browsing, Netflix etc. Also, I'm looking at the WIFI only option. I have a data allowance on my phone and would use this as a hotspot instead of inviting another bill. Good idea, bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Good idea!

And if it's for web browsing and Netflix, 16gb should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Zcott wrote: »
    Good idea!

And if it's for web browsing and Netflix, 16gb should be ok.

Same here, mine is 16 GB Aits plenty for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Personally since you're getting it at a discount I'd go for the 64GB. It'll hold its value fantastically well so when you go to upgrade - if you do - you'll have a good lump to put towards it. Also if you're going travelling or something it's really handy to be able to put a load of movies/tv shows/music on it and not have to worry about bringing around a hard drive or the like. Better to have the space than want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I recently upgraded to a 32GB iPad Air from a 16GB iPad2. I found that I was having to manage space a lot on the 16GB, particularly if you have some large apps like FIFA or Infinity Blade.

Remember the usuable space on a 16GB is around 12GB in reality. Also as a new iPad now comes with the option to download the iWork and iLife apps for free, doing this will eat into your usuable space. For the few quid extra, go for more storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I have always had 16gb devices & got on fine but you need to manage the space well. Perhaps the extra € is worth the peace of mind when it comes to loading heavy apps & films to the iPad.

On my 16gb mini I have 9gb free at the minute because I delete films as soon as I've watched them, all my music is cloud based & I only have apps installed that I actually use. All depends on what kind of a user you are, you will know what storage you need yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I always go for the 32gb on my iPad and 64gb on my iPhone.

16gb just really isn't enough, some apps are like 1gb in size these days, stick two or three movies on there and bam you're like 70% full before you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I would go for the bigger memory version as well (32 should do fine). With quality of cams/video etc getting better every day so does file size. Also like somone already pointed out, the OS takes up a big chunk of your memory.
    As for using your mobile as a wifi hotspot, good idea just make sure there isn't an extra charge for using it (like on vodafone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thanks all. I thought I'd settled on the 32g air. Then decided to go with the 64g. Not sure if I'll need it, but the reality is with the deal that twice the capacity only cost me €20 more up front and an extra €3 per month. It came down to 'why not' rather than 'why'.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

less than a pint a month. worth it IMO!

Advertisement