Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anPost: False green notice "Sorry We Missed You"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

coylemj wrote: »
    Could it be that larger packages which go out in vans have a better chance of being delivered first time? Some posters are suggesting that the regular postman often doesn't bother bringing the package to the door so he just drops the leaflet. My recent experience has been with van deliveries, they knock on the door and wait for me so they definitely are not mad keen to drop the leaflet and run.

postie has to take everything out,there is no option to leave it in the office other then a mail holding service ,or re direction.. both bikes and vans ,or trolleys .. everything must go,everything must be accounted for upon any returns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

The postmen in our area seem to have learned that nobody gets up at 9am to take in parcels, so now they deliver regular letters at that time, and then come back 3 hours later to try to deliver bigger ones. Only then do they write it up if nobody answers

That's a really solid service and beyond the call of duty IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

looksee wrote: »
    Where I live we have parcels delivered by courier, An Post vans, and packets by the regular postman. I have just (a couple of minutes ago) received a parcel ordered from Germany on Sunday evening and delivered by An Post this morning (Thursday). Our postman knows the area well enough that we take in parcels for immediate neighbours, and they for us, if we are out. On a very few occasions we have had a green slip, but always because we were genuinely out.

Same as this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I have experienced the 'sorry we missed you' while in he house, no knock but hear it coming through the letterbox.

Recently I was waiting for a parcel from Amazon. After three weeks I got worried made a few calls. Has shipped in two days to Limerick and was sitting in the parcel office for three weeks, no phone call, no notice in the door.

Also annoying is that the collection depot in Limerick has no parking facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Completely agree. I caught my postman doing it. No attempt was made, he didnt even have it with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Completely agree. I caught my postman doing it. No attempt was made, he didnt even have it with him.

Well as with every other company/job/ buisness on the planet there are chancers in them, an post is not immune to chancers.
    Complain complain complain and it will stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

the parcels in his van down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I'm very lucky with the Post Service where I live. If I get a parcel and there is nobody home the postmen drop it into my workplace as it is on the way to the depo.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

this is one of the main reasons i use parcel motel. (though there is one 100 yards from my house, so its an easy decision)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

that's because they dont,parcels are delivered by a van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I'm lucky with living in the sticks my postie drives a van so parcels are always delivered.
    On one occasion I was out when he called with a parcel. I passed him driving home and he flagged me down.
    Can't argue with that type of service.
    I feel guilty that in 8 years I still haven't given him anything at Christmas. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

In my Area (Swords) these are 2 different services, the letters and small packages are delivered by the AnPost delivery guy (the one who walks around) and packages are delivered by a guy in a van from the parcel depot (which for long time was at a different location until they merged in Malahide). It's 2 different services.

I had this for a long time, attempted delivery notices in my mailbox at crazy hours (0630 to 0800) or at times I even could see the driver getting out of his car (not van) putting the note in during the day. It transpired that AnPost has contracted someone to delivery parcels (not mail) in my area and he was not doing what he was supposed to do.

I complained to AnPost Customer service and the regulator and within days it was sorted, now we are back to a nice driver, that comes at reasonable times, always has the package with him and is friendly.

Complain to AnPost and the regulator would be my suggestion to the OP,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In my Area (Swords) these are 2 different services, the letters and small packages are delivered by the AnPost delivery guy (the one who walks around) and packages are delivered by a guy in a van from the parcel depot (which for long time was at a different location until they merged in Malahide). It's 2 different services.

I had this for a long time, attempted delivery notices in my mailbox at crazy hours (0630 to 0800) or at times I even could see the driver getting out of his car (not van) putting the note in during the day. It transpired that AnPost has contracted someone to delivery parcels (not mail) in my area and he was not doing what he was supposed to do.

I complained to AnPost Customer service and the regulator and within days it was sorted, now we are back to a nice driver, that comes at reasonable times, always has the package with him and is friendly.

Complain to AnPost and the regulator would be my suggestion to the OP,
    Exactly. If An Post are not attempting delivery then write to an Post. It is easily sorted. Much better to send a formal complaint and see it sorted than just complain in public about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

When I lived in Dublin, this used to drive me mad. My postman would do this all the time and no amount of complaining made a difference, I wrote a few letters of complaint, made phone calls, nobody cared.

I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere now and we are blessed with a lovely postman. He is new enough, only working the route about 2 years now, the postman before him was equally lovely.
    He knows that myself and my husband are usually gone from the house by 8:30am every morning, he also knows we both drive motorbikes and do not have a car so picking parcels up from the depot can be a pain, so whenever possible he interrupts his route and detours to our house with any parcels before 8:30am to save us the trip to the depot.
    So whilst I do agree that some an post workers do not fulfil their duties properly, you cannot tar them all with the same brush. However, maybe we are just very very lucky with our current postman.

But you did say earlier that all items must be sent out for delivery.

And your confused how ?

Mail and packets on a bike..parcels in a van.. doesnt mean same person does both jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have to say our postman always delivers parcels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jim van Morrison

the parcels in his van down the road

Do you pick random threads off the front page or what? Single sentence post & no intention whatever towards discussion?

Are you mental, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

crazygeryy wrote: »
    That is total bs and a sweeping generalization. It is not standard practice to do this in an post not at all.and no one ever attempts to deliver the parcels? Your talking out through your arse.

Op ring customer service and complain. They are supposed to knock. Is your doorbell working are you always there? Again it is Not STANDARD PRACTICE.
    while it may not be "standard practice", it is certainly endemic. Caught An Post staff delivering the "sorry we missed you" cards more than once without attempting to ring the doorbell. D8 area also.
    Your fierce defense of An Post is admirable though, care to declare an interest?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

All parcels and undelivered post should be brought to the local post office for collection by the addressee instead of some depot which can be several miles away or just seriouslyncostly and inconvenient for those with disabilities or mobility issues, after the initial 5days in the post office they can then be brought to the depot or returned etc. Most elderly or disabled people visit their post office once a week so could easily collect but when they must go to some out of the way industrial estate it will usually involve an expensive taxi fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

foggy_lad wrote: »
    All parcels and undelivered post should be brought to the local post office for collection by the addressee instead of some depot which can be several miles away or just seriouslyncostly and inconvenient for those with disabilities or mobility issues, after the initial 5days in the post office they can then be brought to the depot or returned etc. Most elderly or disabled people visit their post office once a week so could easily collect but when they must go to some out of the way industrial estate it will usually involve an expensive taxi fare.

In which case, in order to pick up your parcel you'd have to queue up behind people posting parcels and collecting dole/children's allowance/old age pension. No thanks!

The hole in your argument is that older people are precisely the types who are at home when the postman calls, hence the solution of what to do when there's nobody to accept delivery should be geared to those who are out at work and for most of those, a quick trip to the sorting office where there is usually (1) adequate parking for casual callers and (2) hardly any queuing is far preferable.

You also mention people with mobility issues - surely a trip in the car to a depot with disabled parking outside the front door is far preferable to going to a local post office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

My issue is getting green notices for packages that would easily fit through the letter box. If a package is unlikely to fit I'll use Parcel Motel or get it sent to work but I went through a phase towards the end of last year where I had to make a complaint at the delivery office after three green slips in a row for CD/DVD deliveries that would easily have fitted though the letter box. None since but no parcels since so too early to comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

coylemj wrote: »
    In which case, in order to pick up your parcel you'd have to queue up behind people posting parcels and collecting dole/children's allowance/old age pension. No thanks!

The hole in your argument is that older people are precisely the types who are at home when the postman calls, hence the solution of what to do when there's nobody to accept delivery should be geared to those who are out at work and for most of those, a quick trip to the sorting office where there is usually (1) adequate parking for casual callers and (2) hardly any queuing is far preferable.

You also mention people with mobility issues - surely a trip in the car to a depot with disabled parking outside the front door is far preferable to going to a local post office?
    Many disabled/mobility impaired and elderly people don't have a car or access to lifts and many rely on local taxis to bring them shopping and to the post office/town once or twice a week. Forcing them to travel several miles is not really on when their local postman can drop the items in their local office for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭manuhalo

This has happened to me countless times - the last of which yesterday. I was working from home the entire day and no-one showed up, no green leaflet until this morning at 10 when I last checked; then I went on their tracking website and it says they missed me yesterday morning. The most annoying thing is that I live in D1 just across the new bridge and there's a deposit 5 minutes away on the other side of the river, but instead the package is redirected to the D1 depot off Parnell Street. If only I could get the package delivered directly to the D2 deposit I would, it would save me so much time given how often this happens. I'm going to try and give them a call but I already know it's going to be completely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Bepolite wrote: »
    I'm sure in the country where they can pull up, wander in and have a chat they're great.

No, they can be sh1te here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

This happened me a good few times over the years even with small jiffy bags that would easily fit through the letterbox at my home.

It's a tad frustrating to be honest, These <SNIP> are being paid to deliver goods and they cant be bothered. What is the point in paying for postage if you have to drive to a depot to collect it :confused:

My advise OP is to bad mouth An Post to as many people as you can, to get the message across that they are not even capable of bringing parcels to our doors (a job/service that we pay for) no point in ringing them at all they never do anything about it i have tried!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My advise OP is to bad mouth An Post to as many people as you can, to get the message across that they are not even capable of bringing parcels to our doors (a job/service that we pay for) no point in ringing them at all they never do anything about it i have tried!

"Bad mouthing" the An Post service will not bring about any change. If you want to have any chance, you will need to complain to An Post management, possibly even escalating to Comreg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

athtrasna wrote: »
    My issue is getting green notices for packages that would easily fit through the letter box. If a package is unlikely to fit I'll use Parcel Motel or get it sent to work but I went through a phase towards the end of last year where I had to make a complaint at the delivery office after three green slips in a row for CD/DVD deliveries that would easily have fitted though the letter box. None since but no parcels since so too early to comment.

Same here. I had to stop getting a subscription sent as the post man would not post it in my door. A4 jiffy bag. I personally asked him to push it through as it was only coffee beans. It fits no problem.

Still got the same green notice the next week. Not sure if he was a moron or just being an azzhole.

Advertisement