Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anPost: False green notice "Sorry We Missed You"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Same here. I had to stop getting a subscription sent as the post man would not post it in my door. A4 jiffy bag. I personally asked him to push it through as it was only coffee beans. It fits no problem.

Still got the same green notice the next week. Not sure if he was a moron or just being an azzhole.

He doesn't have the jiffy bag, the van man does. The problem isn't with the postie, it's with the van man not bothering his arse at the slightest excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

He had it alright. I was in 2 of the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

ye do realise that writing those notices takes more time then delivering the item right?

its not like we get time allotted in the mornings to pre write those things lol, like i said before , if its happening and you SEE it happening ,call the fcker back straight away and demand a explanation, because it shouldn't happen ever.

if you DONT SEE IT then you cant say for sure why,there are any number of reasons why you may not have heard the bell/knock (do you have a doorbell? does it work? )

a ring or a knock only takes a second,and you may have missed it. personally i ring bell and if no answer i knock on door,with knocker or knuckles.

if no reply i write the notice there and then, i do not write notices for items that can fit in the letterbox,unless they require a signature for proof of delivery, why would i if i can just take the second it takes to pop it in letterbox or porch door if its open..it takes 60 secs minimum to write the notice,and thats in decent weather.

its mind boggling to me as a postie why another postie would consider doing this,when it takes a lot longer and means you have to process them back into the system when you go back ..

i prefer the phrase im hearing on the radio a lot these days .. "when there gone,there gone"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

barone wrote: »
    ye do realise that writing those notices takes more time then delivering the item right?

its not like we get time allotted in the mornings to pre write those things lol, like i said before , if its happening and you SEE it happening ,call the fcker back straight away and demand a explanation, because it shouldn't happen ever.

if you DONT SEE IT then you cant say for sure why,there are any number of reasons why you may not have heard the bell/knock (do you have a doorbell? does it work? )

a ring or a knock only takes a second,and you may have missed it. personally i ring bell and if no answer i knock on door,with knocker or knuckles.

if no reply i write the notice there and then, i do not write notices for items that can fit in the letterbox,unless they require a signature for proof of delivery, why would i if i can just take the second it takes to pop it in letterbox or porch door if its open..it takes 60 secs minimum to write the notice,and thats in decent weather.

its mind boggling to me as a postie why another postie would consider doing this,when it takes a lot longer and means you have to process them back into the system when you go back ..

i prefer the phrase im hearing on the radio a lot these days .. "when there gone,there gone"

I've caught my postie twice doing it - both time he definitely didn't ring or knock as i was waiting in the hall for the fecker.

I've caught my postie twice doing it - both time he definitely didn't ring or knock as i was waiting in the hall for the fecker.

so what reason did he give when asked? did you report him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

At my old place I caught the postman doing this twice and both times his excuse was 'I knocked'. He didn't knock. I watched him hop out of the van with the items and start to fill out the form on my doorstep at 7.30 in the morning. I complained to Carrigaline SO and the complaints address on the website and heard SFA both written letters. Jokers.

so what reason did he give when asked? did you report him?

He didn't think i was in was all he said, despite my car being outside the house. Have rang the local post office a couple of times about him, seems grand now although i just get parcels delivered to work as it is less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

This happened me quite often, so one day I lay in wait in the sittingroom. Heard the letterbox bang and ran out after the postman who was just at the gate. He said he knocked, but I knew he hadn't. I didn't argue just asked for the parcel, whereupon he, somewhat red-faced said he didn't actually have it. I asked why not and he said that I'm not usually home at that time so they wouldn't have brought it!

That's not a delivery service at all - it's a collection service. Presumably the person at the other end was paying for the parcel to be delivered to my house, not for me to have to go and get it. Very annoying. Now I just have everything delivered to work if an Post are bringing it but for the house I try wherever possible to use another courier service (one that will actually bring my parcel). Lost revenue for an Post, but serves them right for having such a crappy service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Glinda wrote: »
    This happened me quite often, so one day I lay in wait in the sittingroom. Heard the letterbox bang and ran out after the postman who was just at the gate. He said he knocked, but I knew he hadn't. I didn't argue just asked for the parcel, whereupon he, somewhat red-faced said he didn't actually have it. I asked why not and he said that I'm not usually home at that time so they wouldn't have brought it!

That's not a delivery service at all - it's a collection service. Presumably the person at the other end was paying for the parcel to be delivered to my house, not for me to have to go and get it. Very annoying. Now I just have everything delivered to work if an Post are bringing it but for the house I try wherever possible to use another courier service (one that will actually bring my parcel). Lost revenue for an Post, but serves them right for having such a crappy service.
    Again, did you write to An Post to report him and complain?

Again, didnyounwrite to An Post to report him and complain?

I complained the first time it happened to me. Didn't do much good since it happened again. It shouldn't happen in the first place anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I don't understand how so many people on this thread are catching their postmen without the parcels if this is the case.

In two different addresses I've lived in I've heard the green slip being dropped in my door, have run after the postman, and they have admitted they don't have the parcel with them. It doesn't look like I'm alone.

I complained in writing both times, and didn't hear anything back.

fjon wrote: »
    I don't understand how so many people on this thread are catching their postmen without the parcels if this is the case.

In two different addresses I've lived in I've heard the green slip being dropped in my door, have run after the postman, and they have admitted they don't have the parcel with them. It doesn't look like I'm alone.

I complained in writing both times, and didn't hear anything back.

there must be different rules in different areas if thats the case, i can say with 100 % honesty that our office must be cleared of all mail / parcels for delivery each and every day (100 + posties in office) , you simply cant leave stuff behind ,its not a option.

and its enforced 100 %

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

there must be different rules in different areas if thats the case, i can say with 100 % honesty that our office must be cleared of all mail / parcels for delivery each and every day (100 + posties in office) , you simply cant leave stuff behind ,its not a option.

and its enforced 100 %
    I live in a different postal district now and every package has been delivered. Always gonna be bad apples in different place.

That's why people need to report and complain to a level above their local sorting office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

and its enforced 100 %

You may be onto something there. I've lived in 5 different addresses over the last 5 years and It appears to depend on the local post office you're dealing with. Never had a problem in either Cork or Donegal. However Dublin was a very different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

I think telling people to report and complain is missing the point. Everyone knows that for every customer that can be bothered to write in with a formal complaint (or even phone) there are half a dozen who will just quietly move to your competitor.

The idea that customers should put themselves out to 'improve the service' only holds in a monopoly situation. Otherwise, lots of them will just take their business elsewhere, as they should!

An Post should take note and take their own steps to fix this problem if they want the business.

Glinda wrote: »

An Post should take note and take their own steps to fix this problem if they want the business.

And the "they" is not the postman it is management in An Post. Which is why people should constantly complain to the highest levels in An Post about a practice that you can rest assured senior management do not condone. I mentioned it to my postman today and he says it should be thrown to management as it breaks every rule in the book in An Post .

And the "they" is not the postman it is management in An Post. Which is why people should constantly complain to the highest levels in An Post about a practice that you can rest assured senior management do not condone. I mentioned it to my postman today and he says it should be thrown to management as it breaks every rule in the book in An Post .

Or they can take their business elsewhere.

Or they can take their business elsewhere.

Only if they can get the sender/sellers to take their business elsewhere. Are people complaining to the senders? I buy many items online that come via An Post and that is all the sellers use. Doesn't bother me because I have a great postman but people only buying from retailers who don't use An Post is no addition unless the other retailers know why they lost the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Today I was sitting in the living room when I heard the postman walk up to the front door. I opened the door before he knocked to see him standing there surprised, holding a "Sorry we missed you" note (with some other letters for me)! It was already filled out and he just handed it to me, apologised that he had left my package in the local post office since he "thought I wouldn't be home" and then before scrambling off told me I could pick it up any time! It's a rural spot and he was driving so for the life of me I can't figure out why he didn't just put the package in his van.

Is this is a common thing for An Post to do? I'm starting to question whether postmen have ever really attempted to deliver parcels to my house before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

He forgot the parcel amd decided to chance his arm covering his tracks. You caught him rotten so I don't see it happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Is it common? It's official company policy. Drivers are told by management that knocking on somebody's door takes too much time so don't do it.

The driver didn't fill out the ticket either, an post employ staff to fill those out and give all of them to the driver together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

T̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶r̶a̶c̶k̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶c̶c̶t̶v̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶b̶o̶x̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶c̶k̶.̶ ̶
    C̶o̶m̶m̶o̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶a̶c̶t̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶a̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶.̶

Alright, that was all wrong. No bearing on this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Today I was sitting in the living room when I heard the postman walk up to the front door. I opened the door before he knocked to see him standing there surprised, holding a "Sorry we missed you" note (with some other letters for me)! It was already filled out and he just handed it to me, apologised that he had left my package in the local post office since he "thought I wouldn't be home" and then before scrambling off told me I could pick it up any time! It's a rural spot and he was driving so for the life of me I can't figure out why he didn't just put the package in his van.

Is this is a common thing for An Post to do? I'm starting to question whether postmen have ever really attempted to deliver parcels to my house before!
    Wr have this with the ESB; OH sitting in the front room and sees a man walking across the lawn and then the letter box opening with a note saying we werent at home and to fill it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

We all make mistakes and if he genuinely forgot the parcel and was covering himself, I wouldn't be too miffed. It's the idea of it being institutional that gets me. I've a tough job explaining these kinds of things to my foreign gf who can't understand how workers in the ESB, An Post, etc can be so negligent/ ineffectual. She was there today and didn't know whether to be angry or laugh at this man handing me a 'sorry I missed you' note!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This has happened to me before, where they leave a note that we missed you blah blah but they didnt even know and walk away. Only once or twice I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Complain to ComReg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

GarIT wrote: »
    Is it common? It's official company policy. Drivers are told by management that knocking on somebody's door takes too much time so don't do it.

The driver didn't fill out the ticket either, an post employ staff to fill those out and give all of them to the driver together.

I can't agree with that for urban anyway. I regularly get packages delivered, there is often (but not always) someone at home when they call, in those instances they always have the parcel on hand.

May be different for rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Prick.
    Mine didnt leave me the note to collect my parcel recently, they kept it in the post office for a week and when I enquired yesterday they told me its been sent back. He didnt even know where it was sent back to!

So its either sitting in some sorting office and they'll try deliver it again, or they'll return it to the sender if theres a return address :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

There was a cracker of a thread a while back where someone got them on cctv just sticking the note in the letterbox, not trying to even knock.
    Common practice apparently.

Was that poster not left with egg on his face having to apologise as it turned out the postman had called earlier when he was out?

Advertisement