Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anPost: False green notice "Sorry We Missed You"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Ranchu wrote: »
    Was that poster not left with egg on his face having to apologise as it turned out the postman had called earlier when he was out?

Didn't see that! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

That's the thread. I think it made the papers and all.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056455496&page=8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

So I'm not the sort to generally complain but should I in this case? Id feel bad if he was just a bit dozy and not trying to cut corners on a regular basis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The post woman at mum's house is great always leaves packages (in safe place if no one is home) I live in town now so never home, get packages delivered to her home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

GarIT wrote: »
    Is it common? It's official company policy. Drivers are told by management that knocking on somebody's door takes too much time so don't do it.

The driver didn't fill out the ticket either, an post employ staff to fill those out and give all of them to the driver together.

This is absolute bull****, if a postie leaves a parcel or a letter behind him and an inspector spots it's he will be hauled over the coals. How is it more effecient to write up the green dockets then go to the address with the green docket and not deliver the parcel ??

Op driver took a chance and thought you wouldn't be home, or simply forgot it and was caught out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,427 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Posties here always knock with parcel in hand.One of them even shouts my name(first floor flat)to see if I'm there
    Probably the only thing they're making money on these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Shelflife wrote: »
    This is absolute bull****, if a postie leaves a parcel or a letter behind him and an inspector spots it's he will be hauled over the coals. How is it more effecient to write up the green dockets then go to the address with the green docket and not deliver the parcel ??

Op driver took a chance and thought you wouldn't be home, or simply forgot it and was caught out.

I dont understand how he would know he had forgotten a parcel for someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Caught them at this before. If you call and make a fuss they will send the item out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I would and have complained about this in the past. It's really annoying when you are sitting in waiting for a parcel and get a green slip in the door. My local depot have strange opening hours so it's hassle to go down and get the parcel.
    When I rang to complain, they were full of apologies and didn't offer any excuses. Everything was fine fir a while and then it started happening again. I complained a second time. Either by the amount of complaints they had or coincidence, we now have a new postwoman who is very good at her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Tow

Is this is a common thing for An Post to do? I'm starting to question whether postmen have ever really attempted to deliver parcels to my house before!

It is standard practice, I have caught my postman red handed going this. You need to complain to the GPO, their response will be it does not happen! But if you don't complain there is no chance of your service improving.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My postman is excellent. I order a fair few packages and he always brings them with him. Whenever Im not home, he knocks into the neighbours and asks can he leave it with them (he knows I know them very well). Even the van driver postman will try his best to leave it with someone. I have no issues with An Post as a whole, and its a shame they don't offer a similar parcelmotel service, because I am sure they are losing business over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,427 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

antodeco wrote: »
    My postman is excellent. I order a fair few packages and he always brings them with him. Whenever Im not home, he knocks into the neighbours and asks can he leave it with them (he knows I know them very well). Even the van driver postman will try his best to leave it with someone. I have no issues with An Post as a whole, and its a shame they don't offer a similar parcelmotel service, because I am sure they are losing business over that.

That is an outstanding idea.

GarIT wrote: »
    Is it common? It's official company policy. Drivers are told by management that knocking on somebody's door takes too much time so don't do it.

The driver didn't fill out the ticket either, an post employ staff to fill those out and give all of them to the driver together.

I assume you can back up this company policy by providing a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I dont understand how he would know he had forgotten a parcel for someone?

Could have been a big parcel that he didn't fancy lugging around, receipient may not usually be around to collect or he chanced that they wouldn't and just dropped it off at the collection depot.

Thing is, if he's caught doing it, he gets his ass kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

This happened me recently too, I was in the house when the missed delivery notice came through letterbox, the postman didn't knock or ring doorbell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

they defo have them "sorry we missed you" letters filled in before they even knock, they barely tap the door and they're away again

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This topic comes up repeatedly and the conversation usually flows the same way. Let's constrain ourselves to posting actual advice, rather than every poster adding tuppence about their experiences.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

We all make mistakes and if he genuinely forgot the parcel and was covering himself, I wouldn't be too miffed.
    The was no mistake or forgetfulness, thought did go into it, he admitted he purposely left it behind

t he had left my package in the local post office since he "thought I wouldn't be home"

As he freely admits this I would have thought it was OK to do within company rules.

If it is OK to do this they should really change the slip to remove any "missed you" statement, if there even is such a statement on them. I can't recall what the slips say.

EDIT: see this "sorry we missed you", just get rid of that and you wouldn't have so many threads
    20110422-112304.jpg

http://www.anpost.ie/anpost/faqs/postalfaqs.htm
    I got a 'Sorry we missed you' notice what do I do now?

The notice will let you know how you can get your mail item. The notice will also give you the address and opening hours of your local delivery office. If you have any further questions please contact our Customer Services Team on 1850 57 58 59.

Why did the postperson not knock on the door?

The driver should always knock, is it possible you didn’t hear him? In fact it is easier for our drivers to deliver an item rather than bring it back to the depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Is this is a common thing for An Post to do? I'm starting to question whether postmen have ever really attempted to deliver parcels to my house before!

Yes. It's what they do more often than not. They just assume no-one will be home in the daytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I've made more than one complaint over this exact phenomenon.

I don't understand it, admittedly sometimes the driver did try to deliver the parcel and later returned only with the missed delivery note, but the incidence of this type of event and for too common and posted far too often.

I use couriers now most often, faster delivery and it's usually not too much more in cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I can't agree with that for urban anyway. I regularly get packages delivered, there is often (but not always) someone at home when they call, in those instances they always have the parcel on hand.

May be different for rural.

They probably know who is at home or not. When I first started working from home in England ( where this also happens) and started getting stuff delivered to home and not work, the Royal Mail chaps would turn up with no parcels, until I eventually caught them. Then they started to bring parcels.

In some ways this makes sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Saw a postman do this today, had the leaflet ready going to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Recent thread merged with older thread on same topic. Demonstrates how often this topic appears in this forum.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Same thing happens here with TNT Post.

Not sure about Ireland but talking to the postman its because of cuts, they are under crazy time pressure to deliver to addresses and its especially bad with apartments as you can be waiting a few minutes for someone to answer the intercom, or its not working and then you have to spend another few minutes looking for the door in the complex or wait for them to come down.

Also they had some customers complaining that their package was dropped to a neighbors house so in certain areas they don't do it anymore.

I can imagine Ireland is even worse since there are no names on the doors of apartments, or crazy made up names/numbering systems.

E.G. In NL the postie has postcode 2512CZ on his screen which brings him to the house within 3 doors.
    In Ireland the guy has to find some house called "Glendalooley" in an estate/housing area that isn't on the Sat Nav.

In our neighborhood we just had a chat between a few of us and informed the delivery guy that we would take packages for each other.

Myself I get most of my stuff delivered to work, since I'm there during delivery hours.

IMO the postman isn't to blame, its the system/staffing they have in place, if the Postie doesn't make his deliveries (or account for the delivery with a "Sorry we missed you" note in a certain time frame they get a bollocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I can imagine Ireland is even worse since there are no names on the doors of apartments, or crazy made up names/numbering systems.

Sorry, it's a bit off topic but why do people in Ireland refuse to put their names on their letterboxes? We are the only ones in our block to have our names on ours. Yet, we still get incorrect letters.

My complain with An Post is that depending on the shifts, we get no post at all for a week, then everything together. Clearly some staff are not bothering coming to our estate. Some of them are lovely, though. They will drop the packet to a neighbour and put the slip in our box with the apartment number that took the parcel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If this happens regularly to anyone then you obviously haven't bothered to complain. You need to make an official complaint and not just mumble your disapproval to when you pick up your parcel.

My postman reckons he'd loose his job if he tried any of the "Sorry We Missed You" nonsense just to get out of making a delivery. Same goes for late delivery if its put out to be delivered then the postmans job is to deliver it on the day not to make a judgement call and deliver it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

my3cents wrote: »
    If this happens regularly to anyone then you obviously haven't bothered to complain.

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Sorry, it's a bit off topic but why do people in Ireland refuse to put their names on their letterboxes? We are the only ones in our block to have our names on ours. Yet, we still get incorrect letters.

An Post deliver to the address on the envelope and not the name on the envelope .

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

An Post deliver to the address on the envelope and not the name on the envelope .

Except I get all the letters for the apartment with the same number as mine but in the opposite block. And my neighbours are complaining of the same. I suspect it's because our letterboxes are outside while the other block's are inside the main door.

I called An Post a few times about this, I was told it was because the address was incorrectly written, which is untrue. So now I just repost with a note on them that says 'please read address properly, thanks'

Anyway, that doesn't answer my question. I find it difficult to understand why people won't put their name on the boxes or the buzzers. Sometimes the apartment numbers are not even on the buzzers, how do you know which one to ring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

why do people in Ireland refuse to put their names on their letterboxes?
    I have never heard of this practise nor considered doing it. Your term "refuse" sounds like they are being requested to do it and stubbornly refusing to do it.

People have numbers and/or names on houses. How is the postman not to know you have a new lodger or visitor staying with a name he never saw before.
    We are the only ones in our block to have our names on ours. Yet, we still get incorrect letters.
    ^^and you are not making much of a case to put names up.

EDIT: I see your comment about apartments, which is a bit different alright.

Advertisement