Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anPost: False green notice "Sorry We Missed You"

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

rubadub wrote: »
    I have never heard of this practise nor considered doing it. Your term "refuse" sounds like they are being requested to do it and stubbornly refusing to do it.

People have numbers and/or names on houses. How is the postman not to know you have a new lodger or visitor staying with a name he never saw before.

^^and you are not making much of a case to put names up.

There is no rule about it, of course, but when I asked some friends why they wouldn't, they just shrugged it off 'because no one else does it'.

As I said in my first post, I was off topic, as it is not so much related to the letters being posted in the right letterboxes, but rather about practicality. When I visit people with no name, no number on the letterbox or the buzzer, I have to ring them to ask them to open the door, what's the point of having a buzzer at all?

I'm just surprised, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

The water was cut off in our home recently when a pipe burst in or near a house a few hundred metres from us (I was told that anyway). The worker came up and switched off our stopcock without warning us first and left it off until the following afternoon. We called the county council to see when it would be back on, were passed to three individuals and finally an irate woman explained that we shouldn't be calling her, we should be contacting Irish Water instead even though it was a county council van driving off when I went out to see what work was going on at the side of the house!

My partner who is not Irish is always joking that the culture here is more akin to living in Puerto Rico than in a European country! She thinks people expect less, and allow more bad services and rude treatment without complaining. I'm definitely guilty of that too, plenty of times I've held my tongue for fear of inconveniencing a worker or for looking like a 'difficult' person. This postman situation is just one of a hundred examples we probably all have of dealing with unnecessary problems in this country. Anyway, rant over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

rubadub wrote: »
    I have never heard of this practise nor considered doing it. Your term "refuse" sounds like they are being requested to do it and stubbornly refusing to do it.

People have numbers and/or names on houses. How is the postman not to know you have a new lodger or visitor staying with a name he never saw before.

^^and you are not making much of a case to put names up.

EDIT: I see your comment about apartments, which is a bit different alright.

It's pretty common on the continent, mainly because you can opt to not have letters not addressed to a person living in the house e.g. Junk mail to be returned to the sender.

In the Netherlands you put a sticker on the letter box with your preference.

ja-nee-sticker.png

Amount of shíte I had coming into the house when I was renting in Ireland.

my3cents wrote: »
    If this happens regularly to anyone then you obviously haven't bothered to complain. You need to make an official complaint and not just mumble your disapproval to when you pick up your parcel.

Yep. A lot of people give out stink:
    - at the depot when they're picking up their missed parcel
    - at their local post office
    - on boards

No one involved in any of these scenarios can find and then investigate the postman in question. You need to lodge an actual complaint with customer services. Of course, that then involves the post depot, local post office, and boards all having to put up with two complaints. One complaint for the missed parcel and one complaint because people inexplicably refuse to call customer services. And that's not just with An Post. A lot of people don't seem to understand how to lodge a proper complaint, and even if they do call the right number, prefer to rant on the phone to the customer services agent rather than just get down to business and describe their problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Great to see I'm not alone on this one, I've been having this problem for years.

I live in a apartment block in Dublin 2, I was waiting on a parcel to arrive from the USA last week, I checked the tracking code online and saw that delivery had failed 3 days prior and it was soon to be returned if not collected, I hadn't got one of the green notices, so I was fairly confused.

I rang up An Post and the girl on the phone told me the postman had tried to deliver it, but I didn't answer, which was a complete lie...then she told me he ran out of dockets on the day, so didn't leave one, it was my job now to go collect it from the depot on Cardiff lane with I.D.

I told her this wasn't the first time this had happened and he never rings the doorbell or knocks, she then "explained" to me that the green notices are never left on the day he first tries to deliver the item but the following day, I vented a bit then hung up...am I correct in thinking this was a complete lie? Will be calling them back tomorrow, have wasted too much time collecting parcels at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

mark13 wrote: »
    Great to see I'm not alone on this one, I've been having this problem for years.

I live in a apartment block in Dublin 2, I was waiting on a parcel to arrive from the USA last week, I checked the tracking code online and saw that delivery had failed 3 days prior and it was soon to be returned if not collected, I hadn't got one of the green notices, so I was fairly confused.

I rang up An Post and the girl on the phone told me the postman had tried to deliver it, but I didn't answer, which was a complete lie...then she told me he ran out of dockets on the day, so didn't leave one, it was my job now to go collect it from the depot on Cardiff lane with I.D.

I told her this wasn't the first time this had happened and he never rings the doorbell or knocks, she then "explained" to me that the green notices are never left on the day he first tries to deliver the item but the following day, I vented a bit then hung up...am I correct in thinking this was a complete lie? Will be calling them back tomorrow, have wasted too much time collecting parcels at this stage.

I seem to remember my postman saying he's supposed to try and deliver an item twice before he can return it and give up so part of the story sounds true. Next time I get an Amazon delivery I'll ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

well i can only comment that my postman would always leave with a neighbour if no-ones home, always tip the man (bottle of poteen) at christmas, maybe an idea for those not getting theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

well i can only comment that my postman would always leave with a neighbour if no-ones home, always tip the man (bottle of poteen) at christmas, maybe an idea for those not getting theirs?

I've heard this idea before about giving gifts to the postman or binmen in order to get a better service. I'd be delighted to give a postman I knew on a friendly basis a bottle of drink at Xmas as a gift but to do so in order to secure better service, or even a basic service as in my case, seems wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

or even a basic service as in my case, seems wrong.

IN addition, so many extra staff are engaged at Christmas time only, one could end up giving the tip to the part time guy or gal who'd be back a uni after the hols.

:p:pac::pac::)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

no, i meet my postman alot of mornings, say hello/comment on weather. make sure i see him at christmas, not for preferential treatment just cause thats what we do to people who provide the service since i was a kid, now i do the same in our household. my wife from northern ireland never heard of the tradition but what the hell..

Well yes a letter or email to the right department is also an official complaint. Although I wasn't aware that An Post customer services was outsourced, since their customer services address is the GPO I was under the impression that the phone centre was there as well. I've had to call them a few times in the past and they were always very on-the-ball anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've heard this idea before about giving gifts to the postman or binmen in order to get a better service. I'd be delighted to give a postman I knew on a friendly basis a bottle of drink at Xmas as a gift but to do so in order to secure better service, or even a basic service as in my case, seems wrong.

It's actually the other way round. I give my postman a bottle of wine at Christmas because he gives us such a good service all year. The service came first!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭manuhalo

Yet another case happened to me yesterday (apartment block in Dublin), I was at home all day waiting for a large package, no delivery and no leaflet in the postbox but tracking on the website tells me they attempted delivery and received no answer. At this stage I really don't know what else to do, all the emails I sent to the customer service served no purpose, talking to the guy at the depot was useless, I suppose I have to live with the fact that items won't be shipped to my door unless I pay for a *professional* courier service.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Robbie32

Just slightly a different issue, I recently applied for a job.
    I got the job, but they needed copies of certs that I had for the job, which isnt unusual. Unfortunately I didnt have internet and no scanner, so I thought I would post the copies.
    That was fine went into the post office, registered, paid the extra for next day delivery etc. Happy days or so I thought.
    Next day no sign of the parcel. Thought ok, mid week, maybe delayed... By the next monday still no sign. Checked it up on the tracker online, said dispatched.
    2 weeks later that parcel arrived. And the kicker was that when I checked up the tracker on line, the delivery date states it was delivered on the date that it should have been delivered. When I eventually contacted someone to question where the post was they said it had been delivered on time. (i dont have a touch phone so couldnt speak to anyone).
    Unfortunately I missed out on that job as they couldnt take me on without the certs and they needed someone to start immediately.

So needless to say I dont use An Post anymore.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Is there any point in complaining or notifying someone about these 'missed delivery' slips I get? It's happened twice this week, as we've ordered gifts for the holidays.

We live in an apartment and the buzzer is ridiculously loud. We also have a dog that barks EACH and EVERY SINGLE TIME someone rings the buzzer. My wife was home all day, and I was on a half day today - so I was home after 1pm.

An Post slipped us a 'Sorry we missed you' slip in the mailbox; but they didn't ring the buzzer.

I know this isn't exactly uncommon, but is there any point in reporting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

I know my postman comes by bicycle, I wouldn't expect him to carry parcels/boxes for everyone in the apartment complex, over 200 units. He would waste his day making trips back to the depot to get the next batch, and probably have to drop off a big percentage of the ones he brought that people weren't home for.
    Most apartments just have the little mailboxes that don't fit much in them.
    But An Post probably should rename the dockets as "Item is ready for collection" instead of "We missed you".

Of course if your item was coming in a small little envelope, then yeah, he should have brought it and buzzed the door

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

brianomc wrote: »
    I know my postman comes by bicycle, I wouldn't expect him to carry parcels/boxes for everyone in the apartment complex, over 200 units. He would waste his day making trips back to the depot to get the next batch, and probably have to drop off a big percentage of the ones he brought that people weren't home for.
    Most apartments just have the little mailboxes that don't fit much in them.
    But An Post probably should rename the dockets as "Item is ready for collection" instead of "We missed you".

Of course if your item was coming in a small little envelope, then yeah, he should have brought it and buzzed the door

Parcels are delivered by a dedicated parcel postman with a van (in cities at least), rather than your regular postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Fair enough so, I stand corrected, can't say I've ever seen a postal van near my apartment. Living in Dublin. I have seen the postal vans in rural towns alright where a bike would take all day to get around.
    To be fair to my postie he has often brought packages I wouldn't have expected him to. So I never minded heading to the depot for the bigger boxes when he dropped in a leaflet. Maybe I should have minded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Well, on the plus side - this was the one Saturday of the year where their collection offices were open.

Advertisement