Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are dogs often selectively bred to have ugly characteristics?

• 30-01-2014 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

A lot of these characteristics often cause health problems. One example would be the pug, which a lot of people selectively breed so their face is even more wrinkly than it was in the first place, making them really ugly and causing more health problems. Another one would be the Bull Terrier, which I don't even need to explain. And another one would be the German Shepherd, which is often bred to have "frog legs" which causes even worse hip problems than the breed is prone to in the first place.
    What's the point in breeding dogs to be like this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

love Is blind

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sovereign121

Because they can

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

love Is blind
    I agree, no matter how ugly a dog, they can have an amazing personality, I would never judge a dog based on it's looks. But what I don't understand is why people breed dogs to have intentionally ugly characteristics which also cause health risks, there's no advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Often the features that were selectively bred into dogs had a functionary purpose, for example the gsd had a slope on it's spine to make them change directions faster (debatable), or bull terriers were bred to have an elongated face as they were used for bull bating and this have a better grip, but over time the dogs stopped being used for whatever their original function was, and were bred just for show. Breeding became more selective and over time the features just grew more and more exaggerated till we got what we have today. That's my understanding of it anyway, I could be completely wrong!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Showing standards for a breed is my best guess as well; if you say a pug should have wrinkles and get points for it then more wrinkles is better and they are breed accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Nody wrote: »
    Showing standards for a breed is my best guess as well; if you say a pug should have wrinkles and get points for it then more wrinkles is better and they are breed accordingly.

Exactly. Like the British Bulldog, the breed standard said 'a big head' and the judges kept rewarding the biggest heads and now the dogs are stuck with heads so big they can't give birth naturally. Same with GSDs, the standard said 'sloped back' and the judges rewarded the slopiest until we got these dogs that look like they're constantly mid-poo.

Breed standards need to be redefined, and judges told to cop on and apply the term 'within reason' liberally; BBs should have a big head, within reason, GSDs a sloped back, within reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

What's wrong with the looks of a bull terrier? I would have 1000 of them before one of the latest "cute" toy dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

i have a perfectly healthy pug he might not win shows because his face isnt flat enough but i still love him no matter what

[IMG][/img]969153_639704329391768_509296051_n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What's wrong with the looks of a bull terrier? I would have 1000 of them before one of the latest "cute" toy dogs.
    The fact that they looked like this 100 years ago and has been bred to their current look...

Bull_Terrier_from_1915.JPG

The fact that they looked like this 100 years ago and has been bred to their current look...

i think the modern bull terrier has a nice distinctive look

bull_terrier_h03.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

PucaMama wrote: »
    i think the modern bull terrier has a nice distinctive look

bull_terrier_h03.jpg

I think that distinctive look your talking about is 'ugly'

billie1b wrote: »

in your opinion....isnt that what breeding for appearance is about? some people like dogs to look a certain way. i dont thinks theres any breed id be happy to call ugly tho.

in your opinion....isnt that what breeding for appearance is about? some people like dogs to look a certain way. i dont thinks theres any breed id be happy to call ugly tho.

Very true, thats why there is so many breeds, but id be more than happy to call that ugly. I have a GSD straight back and Siberian Husky, think they are both lovely but many could disagree with me

Very true, thats why there is so many breeds, but id be more than happy to call that ugly. I have a GSD straight back and Siberian Husky, think they are both lovely but many could disagree with me

dont think i would to be honest and id wonder about someone not being able to get over a dogs appearance

dont think i would to be honest and id wonder about someone not being able to get over a dogs appearance

What would you wonder about me? My wife thinks they're ugly aswell. Its an opinion I have, i'm not trying to change you opinion that you like them to unlike them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Taste is subjective. It really shouldn't concern you if a breed is ugly. What is of concern is when the animals appearance negatively affects its health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Now that is a lovely looking terrier.

Not just you but it never sounds right really

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

kylith wrote: »
    Exactly. Like the British Bulldog, the breed standard said 'a big head' and the judges kept rewarding the biggest heads and now the dogs are stuck with heads so big they can't give birth naturally. Same with GSDs, the standard said 'sloped back' and the judges rewarded the slopiest until we got these dogs that look like they're constantly mid-poo.

Breed standards need to be redefined, and judges told to cop on and apply the term 'within reason' liberally; BBs should have a big head, within reason, GSDs a sloped back, within reason.
    This makes a lot of sense. It truly is a shame, as some breeds have been forever ruined by this type of breeding and at this point are irredeemable, luckily some lines weren't bred this way for some breeds.

these breeds are unique and beautiful in their own way

Bradey36.jpg

French-Bulldog-4.jpg

not every dog needs to look like this

Siberian-husky.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I just think it's so sad how the short faced dogs have so much difficulty breathing. I hate seeing them struggling along in the park just from walking. That's not beautiful in any way.

Cocolola wrote: »
    I just think it's so sad how the short faced dogs have so much difficulty breathing. I hate seeing them struggling along in the park just from walking. That's not beautiful in any way.

my pug has a slightly longer nose it makes a big difference so theres really no need for too much of a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

There's nothing beautiful about an animal struggling to breath imo.

Bradey36.jpg

French-Bulldog-4.jpg

not every dog needs to look like this

Siberian-husky.jpg

All 3 dogs you have shown there are gorgeous, I just dislike the way they tape the Bull Terriers ears, to me it makes them look ugly and vicious, cant understand why the just dont leave them alone and let them have their natural folded ears, they look much better that way

All 3 dogs you have shown there are gorgeous, I just dislike the way they tape the Bull Terriers ears, to me it makes them look ugly and vicious, cant understand why the just dont leave them alone and let them have their natural folded ears, they look much better that way

they dont tape their ears :confused:

edit most bull terriers have pricked ears the ears should stand by a certain age. if not some owners tape, not as bad as some who crop ears e.g. for doberman and pitbull. i have seen an irish breeder who crops their pitbulls ears.

Bradey36.jpg

French-Bulldog-4.jpg

Squashed face breeds are undoubtedly cute, but I don't think that aesthetics can ever excuse the discomfort these dogs suffer from. All those cute videos of Pugs and BBs falling asleep sitting up are because those breeds have difficulty breathing lying down. If 'cute' has become more important than breathing something is very wrong, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

It's not just the squashed face that causes problems for the British Bulldog. The extreme flatness of their ribcage makes it incredibly hard for them to inflate their lungs in hot weather or with vigourous exercise.

kylith wrote: »
    Squashed face breeds are undoubtedly cute, but I don't think that aesthetics can ever excuse the discomfort these dogs suffer from. All those cute videos of Pugs and BBs falling asleep sitting up are because those breeds have difficulty breathing lying down. If 'cute' has become more important than breathing something is very wrong, IMO.

Thats not entirely true my pug falls asleep sitting up but he has no trouble lieing down as he loves to lie up on the couch with us. He oftem sleep on our bed too. No trouble breathing lieing down.

People shouldnt believe every thing negative they hear on the internet about dog breeds

ferretone wrote: »
    It's not just the squashed face that causes problems for the British Bulldog. The extreme flatness of their ribcage makes it incredibly hard for them to inflate their lungs in hot weather or with vigourous exercise.

Anything ive read say a well bred bulldog should have a 'well developed ribcage'

I have also found that the problem with the hot weather is with the nose being too short to properly cool air down

• Advertisement

Thats not entirely true my pug falls asleep sitting up but he has no trouble lieing down as he loves to lie up on the couch with us. He oftem sleep on our bed too. No trouble breathing lieing down.

People shouldnt believe every thing negative they hear on the internet about dog breeds

Just because your dog can sleep lying down doesn't mean that it's not a problem for the breed. Flat-faced breeds have difficulty breathing, that yours has less of a problem just means that you, and he, have been lucky.

Advertisement