Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sign Up WWE For Another 5 Years

• 30-01-2014 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

WWE - A five-year deal from 2015 offering over 600 hours of content a year from the worldwide leader in sports entertainment including weekly programming and 12 special PPV events a year.

Bit surprising they have committed for such a long time and imo doesnt bode well for the WWE Network.

Source

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Bit surprising they have committed for such a long time and imo doesnt bode well for the WWE Network.

Source

Well I can't see the Network launching in the UK anytime soon and if it does it'll prob be minus live PPVS and I imagine Raw and Smackdown's encores will be moved by a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Source

Too early to tell I'd say.Sky's been a partner with them since forever at this stage so getting on board with them is no big deal to me,A big source of their exposure here.Best not to burn their bridges with them just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I should have qualified, I ment it doesn't bode well for the Network been launched this side of the pond!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Don't think they are crying too much about the WWE Network:
    sources say its value is believed to be about three times that of the previous five-year agreement

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wwe-bskyb-extend-uk-tv-675362

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If that's true, Sky really paid over the odds for a declining product.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

There's a lot of confusion/wishful thinking that PPVs will no longer be on Sky Box Office now.
    Loughc wrote: »
    If that's true, Sky really paid over the odds for a declining product.

Not true. Rights fees for sports and sports like programming has gone up a lot in recent years. It was simply previously undervalued.

rovert wrote: »
    There's a lot of confusion/wishful thinking that PPVs will no longer be on Sky Box Office now.

Not true. Rights fees for sports and sports like programming has gone up a lot in recent years. It was simply previously undervalued.

Yea that's a good point.

I just don't like the idea of paying 3 times more for a product that's worse than it was 4 years ago. But I agree with what you're saying, rights have gone up in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Main Event will be on now as well, a nice addition to the line up.

The Catchup stuff they have now too is handy! :)

Well done Sky. Least I don't have to subscribe to BT Sport now!

WWE

The new agreement with WWE, the worldwide leader in sports entertainment, includes the popular weekly programmes RAW®, SmackDown®, WWE Main Event®, and WWE Experience®, which is due to feature all the WWE superstars, including John Cena, Randy Orton, CM Punk, Big Show and Daniel Bryan.

Sky will also offer 12 special events a year on a pay-per-view basis, including WrestleMania®, Royal Rumble®, SummerSlam®, Survivor Series® and Money in the Bank®.

Hopefully NXT hasn't been dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sky will also offer 12 special events a year on a pay-per-view basis, including WrestleMania®, Royal Rumble®, SummerSlam®, Survivor Series® and Money in the Bank®.

All PPVs on Sky Box Office?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

...which is due to feature all the WWE superstars, including John Cena, Randy Orton, CM Punk, Big Show and Daniel Bryan.

For how long though? :pac:

All PPVs on Sky Box Office?

I imagine no more freebies on Sky Sports given the money they've paid...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rickydreamboat

Maybe it's just me but I can't see how they reached that valuation the current WWE product. So Sky Sports package is 30 odd quid p/m, with less Premier League games now that BT is involved (if you watch football this is an issue). The on top of that it's another €22 a month for a near 3-hour ppv that, lately has been of terrible quality. Meanwhile the US gets everything, including past ppv (which is tremendous) for $10 p/m. This would be overvalued in the Hogan/Savage or Attitude era, never mind today. Is it just me or does anybody actually think WWE is worth over €600 per year.

*I don't intend to re-subscribe to Sky Sports at any time in the near future, but merely wanted to see opinions on this.

Also, this is my first post, so hello everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Maybe it's just me but I can't see how they reached that valuation the current WWE product. So Sky Sports package is 30 odd quid p/m, with less Premier League games now that BT is involved (if you watch football this is an issue). The on top of that it's another €22 a month for a near 3-hour ppv that, lately has been of terrible quality. Meanwhile the US gets everything, including past ppv (which is tremendous) for $10 p/m. This would be overvalued in the Hogan/Savage or Attitude era, never mind today. Is it just me or does anybody actually think WWE is worth over €600 per year.

*I don't intend to re-subscribe to Sky Sports at any time in the near future, but merely wanted to see opinions on this.

Also, this is my first post, so hello everybody.

Advertising revenue. All the shows get decent ratings which means Sky can charge more to advertise during their broadcasts.

I havent even considered buying a SBO PPV in years. WWE is far too inconsistent to take the chance in my book. Especially when I can download a near perfect quality version by 7am. Wait until about lunch time and there will be a perfect quality version out too.

I hope we dont get a netflix type deal over here were the network is different compared to the US version. I can't see the PPVs being included on the network over here if they're going to be on SBO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Didn't say anything about any of the programming being exclusive to Sky.WWE will still be signing a new monster TV contract in the states,plus still offering PPV alongside the network.

"WWE also recently announced that it would next month launch a subscription-based, online-only video network, the WWE Network, in the U.S. It will also expected to become available in select international markets, including the U.K., late in 2014 or early in 2015.

Asked if the network caused BSkyB any concern that it could cannibalize the WWE audience, Meier said the company sees it as "extremely complimentary" to other WWE content offerings, such as its TV shows. "We have partners that see it similarly. They see it as a major boost to the brand, the fan engagement and to their own viewership."

Didn't say anything about any of the programming being exclusive to Sky.WWE will still be signing a new monster TV contract in the states,plus still offering PPV alongside the network.

"WWE also recently announced that it would next month launch a subscription-based, online-only video network, the WWE Network, in the U.S. It will also expected to become available in select international markets, including the U.K., late in 2014 or early in 2015.

Asked if the network caused BSkyB any concern that it could cannibalize the WWE audience, Meier said the company sees it as "extremely complimentary" to other WWE content offerings, such as its TV shows. "We have partners that see it similarly. They see it as a major boost to the brand, the fan engagement and to their own viewership."

Isnt the Network going to show Raw and Smackdown etc a day or two after they air? If PPV's are included over here, Sky got robbed. Who's going to pay €25 per PPV along with however much Sky costs, when they could get it much cheaper with the Network.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Isnt the Network going to show Raw and Smackdown etc a day or two after they air? If PPV's are included over here, Sky got robbed. Who's going to pay €25 per PPV along with however much Sky costs, when they could get it much cheaper with the Network.

This is why when the Network launches in the UK it will most likely launch minus the Live PPVs and possibly even minus the Encore presentations of Raw and Smackdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

I thought its more than a day delay. I think its about 5 days delay for Raw and Smackdown to go up.

Either way I hope we still get the full package as the states.

I brought this up in another thread, does anyone actually pay for Sky Sports just for the wrestling? In Ireland it's €36 per month on top of the basic subscription of €15 per month or whatever.

• Advertisement

Garseys wrote: »
    I thought its more than a day delay. I think its about 5 days delay for Raw and Smackdown to go up.

Either way I hope we still get the full package as the states.

That would still do for the majority. Most of the WWE fanbase arent online as much as we are so dont need to worry about spoilers. My dad for example is only watching Raw now. He often doesnt watch until the weekend. I imagine a lot of people are like that so the few extra days make no difference.

I brought this up in another thread, does anyone actually pay for Sky Sports just for the wrestling? In Ireland it's €36 per month on top of the basic subscription of €15 per month or whatever.

And football, but BT have taken a lot of that so I'm more or less only wrestling now. Saying that, I'm happy to download so it's the rest of the family who keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Sky aren't paying WWE just for ratings or PPV revenue though,which I imagine is quite miniscule besides Mania,and maybe Summerslam at a stretch anyway.And I'd hazard a guess that not many folk shell out £40+ per month for Sky Sports just to watch WWE alone.

Without WWE,Sky would have to find at least 8 hours of new programming every week.Factor in repeats and you're probably looking at 20+ hours a week of their programming schedule to fill.WWE content also comes conveniently ready made for them too.With a lot of their other content as well as paying for the rights,Sky have got production costs to pay for as well.

WWE is 52 weeks a year guaranteed content too,nearly every other sport they show has an off season.Another very valuable reason Sky have forked out big money.

And football, but BT have taken a lot of that so I'm more or less only wrestling now. Saying that, I'm happy to download so it's the rest of the family who keep it.
    So do you have Sky Sports just for the wrestling? You seem to have given 2 ways you don't.

Sky are running scared now. Sports rights are in a bubble in a sense but the possible re-shaping of the market (more than one service provider) could mean it's a change in the market rather than speculation causing the price increases. Sky have lost a lot of Premier League matches, a decent bit of American sports, a lot of Rugby Union and soon all of the Champions League and Europa League to BT Sports. This is bound to drive up the price of rights while spreading what's available more, so Sky now show Netball and promote it on the Sports News channel.
    Exciting times ahead as BT seem to be in it for the long-haul.

So do you have Sky Sports just for the wrestling? You seem to have given 2 ways you don't.

It's not my call. If it was up to me, it would be gone. The only thing I use it for is wrestling and occasionally football. The others in the house use it more than I do. I rarely watch TV to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I heard that the ratings for the Champions league are a pittance compared to the premier league, hence why they let it go. Also, they had more than 30 more games in the PL than ever before, which people don't realise due to it being shown on 2 seperate networks now.

BT spent way over the odds on it as well, there offer being more than double what Sky had been paying so Sky seem happy to let them waste the money on a product that doesn't get too many viewers (unless English teams are involved i guess). They'll use that money saved to fund more home-grown TV that seems to have them making more money (ala Moone Boy and The Tunnel etc)

Advertisement