Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

squat question

• 30-01-2014 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

when i squat i find it very ard to push threw the heels of my feet no matter what weight is on the bar. i always seem to lean on the front of my foot for pushing up. my heels doesnt come off the ground. i seen a guy with weight plates under his heels in the gym. will this make it easier for me to push from my heels?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Perhaps, but it could be a number if issues. Try squatting without shoes, - in socks- and record it. Flexibility may be an issue, weight may be an issue, but most likely, form is the issue. Post a vid, and we will critique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Squatman wrote: »
    Perhaps, but it could be a number if issues. Try squatting without shoes, - in socks- and record it. Flexibility may be an issue, weight may be an issue, but most likely, form is the issue. Post a vid, and we will critique

i happens even when i use just the bar. currently doing stronglift program and im up to 63kg.

you might be onto somethin with the shoes as i just changed runners and there running runners maybe try flat runners or in socks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    you might be onto somethin with the shoes as i just changed runners and there running runners maybe try flat runners or in socks

I'd advise you to use other footwear for squatting from now on, regardless.

Use something with no cushioning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

dont be a baby, this is golds gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Sounds like a few problems here. Flexibility and your choice of footwear.

Sort out both and you should be okay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Squatman wrote: »

I got told I wasn't wearing appropriate footwear in my work gym yesterday. The gym manager was adamant that a pair of regular running shoes were better for squatting in than the Converse All-star I was wearing. She told me I was wearing fashion footwear :mad: It's not a big deal. I usually go before work, when she's not there. Just needed to rant. If I do end up going during the day, I'll do bench, OHP, or some supplemental exercises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

davyjose wrote: »
    I got told I wasn't wearing appropriate footwear in my work gym yesterday. The gym manager was adamant that a pair of regular running shoes were better for squatting in than the Converse All-star I was wearing. She told me I was wearing fashion footwear :mad: It's not a big deal. I usually go before work, when she's not there. Just needed to rant. If I do end up going during the day, I'll do bench, OHP, or some supplemental exercises.

Well she's wrong , and clearly hasn't a clue. Coming from a gym manager that's pretty worrying , I wonder what her credentials are.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jason2501

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h8G6jkEf1uI

Just watch the first 2:20 mins or so. If this exercise can't be completed work with a plank under your heals, lower your weight on the bar and you will learn how to do the squat correctly.

Work on your flexibility, make sure your warmed up and have done a few stretches.

Jason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

davyjose wrote: »
    It is actually a pretty big deal. She's giving advice that can potentially cause harm during an exercise or cause you to fall holding a large weight and injure your self and others.
    This type of advice from a layperson us easily ignored but she is in a position of some authority and giving dangerously bad advice to people who may not know better.
    She should be told that running shoes are for running and have a cushioned base. This base compresses under load and creates an unstable and uneven vase when lifting. An unstable base can cause imbalances both in the form of the lift and in the weight being lifted. If the lifter doesn't strain something then they may likely drop it.
    This is why all purpisr built weightlifting shoes have a firm base.
    This gym manager is an idiot who appears to have limited know how of what actually happens in a gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

sorry for the late reply.

i actually have tried the last few times squatting in my socks. this has helped me loads and corrected my form. happy out now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement