Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermapen & Mandoline

Options
  • 30-01-2014 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Looking to buy a thermapen and a good height-adjustable mandolin slicer (one that can also slice julienne). Anyone have any suggestions on a mandoline and where I might buy them (around Dublin city center preferably). I know you can buy them on amazon but the reviews all seem to suggest they can break easy no matter what you get so would be easier to return to a normal shop.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You will get a Mandoline in TK Max for €10, 2 heights for slicing and for julienne. Mine is holding so far (~6 mths). Id imagine cheapest place for a Thermapen is Amazon (~£36).

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

thanks. do you know what brand/model your mandolin is?

Off the top of my head I don't but ill check later for you. Ive been after a Thermapen as well so if you see one cheaper then £36 amazon let me know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's probably not what you're looking for OP, but coincidentally Lidl have one on special offer today http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-66552744-09C1C970/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=1980
    I had the JML v-slicer for years and passed it on to my daughter recently.

That one looks like its not height adjustable but thanks anyway. I was looking at the selkin borner mandolin on amazon which i might go for after i check out some in town.

From a quick browse around, it looks like amazon is the best deal on the thermapen. There's plenty of cheaper probes there too but have mixed reviews so probably worth splashing out.

• Advertisement

MickeyD wrote: »
    From a quick browse around, it looks like amazon is the best deal on the thermapen. There's plenty of cheaper probes there too but have mixed reviews so probably worth splashing out.

I have one of the cheaper probes, fantastic for using in the oven but poor build quality and slow to register temp. It was one that has a probe with an armoured cable that you can run into the oven and leave the digital pice outside.

If you roast meat well worth getting one like that as you can set the target temp and and alarm then walk away. However I def feel I need a thermapen as well. Especially to verify the accuracy of other thermometers I use.

Don't roast stuff that often but I might pick one or two up for next Christmas. Sounds like they'd be handy alright. Do they still let the door of the oven close over tight? I think you can get remote ones now too.

Its a Kuhn Rikon mandolin, cant find it on their site though. You cant go far wrong for €10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Hate mandolins with a vengeance ... Have a small collection of them in the back of the cupboard,either the thickness is wrong(set ones) or the adjuster slips around or the whole thing is unstable/wonky/slipping around the counter... So I mainly just use the food processor ... Less chance of removing my finger nails.. But you can't do gaufette potatoes ,and I don't :)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement