Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airwire wireless broadband in Galway

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Decided to give airwire another shot. Booked in for install in ten days. Will update thread on how good (or bad) their service is. Hopefully will be improved from last time I had them.main thing I want is low ping and no packet loss. I know falconire has posted good results of his connection and from reading old threads on Airwire when I and others were having problems he was posting similarly good results so would love to see others on network post any ping tests or even speedtests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

irishchris wrote: »
    Decided to give airwire another shot. Booked in for install in ten days. Will update thread on how good (or bad) their service is. Hopefully will be improved from last time I had them.main thing I want is low ping and no packet loss. I know falconire has posted good results of his connection and from reading old threads on Airwire when I and others were having problems he was posting similarly good results so would love to see others on network post any ping tests or even speedtests

How did this work out for you. I'm considering giving them a try. Finished with eir and friend about 2kms away has gone with Airwire and says its better than before - but they dont use it as much as I might.

Fibre is all around us but we still cant get it. Very frustrating

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    How did this work out for you. I'm considering giving them a try. Finished with eir and friend about 2kms away has gone with Airwire and says its better than before - but they dont use it as much as I might.

Fibre is all around us but we still cant get it. Very frustrating

their service is ok for browsing and streaming but for gaming i would stay clear. speeds are 15mb up and down and drop to 7/7 most evenings. ping is very low but packetloss is extreme and am continuously at peak times and sometimes off peak getting 5>25% packetloss which means lag and disconnections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

irishchris wrote: »
    their service is ok for browsing and streaming but for gaming i would stay clear. speeds are 15mb up and down and drop to 7/7 most evenings. ping is very low but packetloss is extreme and am continuously at peak times and sometimes off peak getting 5>25% packetloss which means lag and disconnections

Thanks for this. It's all rock and hard places around here so !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭davyd07

Hi all. Just wondering how this panned out for you all. I recently moved into a rural area between Moylough and Abbeyknockmoy and am looking at options. Imagine say they have no capacity at the moment, and I am looking at other possibilities. Any reports on Airwire recently or any of the others? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Any Updates on Airwire in Co. Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭motley

Would be interested in any feedback for Airwire in east Galway (Athenry area) if anyone has any?

Just to keep this thread update. I went back to airwire (again!) This time for their jet product. First two days seemed promising but all weekend their 50mb jet product has been <2mb both peak and off-peak,then from midnight to morning back to full speed only to be back to subpar slow connection all day again. So disheartening but not going paying 50€ for this kind of "broadband"

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Hi,

first of all, if you are connected to our Abbeyknockmoy, Co. Galway transmitter, then be aware, that we lost half of our capacity to that mast during Storm Hannah Friday night. It was not safe to climb the mast with the faulty gear yesterday and we did prioritize sites that actually were completely offline.

That fault has only been rectified this morning and the full bandwidth to the site is back since 13:00 after we replaced the entire link.

That fault would have caused severe contention on a lot of sites in North East, Co. Galway and in Co. Roscommon alright.

If you had issues during the day, did you contact our support staff yesterday ? They were available from 10:00 to 15:00.

Also, how did you do these tests ? It is important, that you connect a computer to the router by cable, switch wireless off (use the button on the router) and test on Speedtest.net using Galway (Airwire) or Carlow (Blacknight) speedtest server preferable with Firefox. Other browsers give odd results. And the Google and Fast.com speedtests are useless most of the time.

• Advertisement

Hi,

first of all, if you are connected to our Abbeyknockmoy, Co. Galway transmitter, then be aware, that we lost half of our capacity to that mast during Storm Hannah Friday night. It was not safe to climb the mast with the faulty gear yesterday and we did prioritize sites that actually were completely offline.

That fault has only been rectified this morning and the full bandwidth to the site is back since 13:00 after we replaced the entire link.

That fault would have caused severe contention on a lot of sites in North East, Co. Galway and in Co. Roscommon alright.

If you had issues during the day, did you contact our support staff yesterday ? They were available from 10:00 to 15:00.

Also, how did you do these tests ? It is important, that you connect a computer to the router by cable, switch wireless off (use the button on the router) and test on Speedtest.net using Galway (Airwire) or Carlow (Blacknight) speedtest server preferable with Firefox. Other browsers give odd results. And the Google and Fast.com speedtests are useless most of the time.

Cheers Martin for getting back to me. I was unaware the abbeyknockmoy mast was down in capacity but hoping that this was once off then as only newly back with your company. Speeds this afternoon were back to better again but still struggled to stream football on now tv which only uses less than 8mb/s. this evening speeds are down to less than half. Possibly still issues with mast to be rectified I'm assuming? Great to see quick response and to be commended for getting technicians out on a Sunday to repair. Cheers Martin, Will monitor it over next two days and then contact tech support if still issues. Thanks again

Just as a follow up. This service had been great for the first three months with Airwires jet service. Super speeds day and night but over last 6 weeks service had extremely degraded. Coincidentally coincides with extended coverage area off the knockroe sectors.Ihad held off for a long as possible in the hope that it would improve but after speaking to others in the area it seems we have all had the same experience unfortunately since around the same time.
    Evening time speeds have dropped to anything from 2mb/s to 10mb but are so inconsistent that streaming now tv or any iptv is impossible. Whether it is contention or from oversubscribing the masts, either way it is a service not fit for purpose unfortunately. Contacted support again today and logging speeds over a wide range of times but all pretty abysmal. Also hoping it's not as it seems and that a form of traffic shaping looks to have been introduced. It's a shame as had been actively telling people of the initial tremendous service and have sent many new customers to airwire (possibly to my detriment)
    Will keep this thread updated over next few days as to or if any resolution occurs

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Et tu, Brute?

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Et tu, Brute?

Not sure if this was an attempt at humour or wrong thread?

Back on track though to keep this thread updated. Speeds are still getting steadily worse with buffering of match I was attempting to watch every six to seven seconds at 9pm. Netflix similarly stopped to buffer and was pixelated due to inconsistent slow speeds. Morning time and airwire office hours - speeds back to full. And the cycle begins again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Any update irishchris? Was your issue resolved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Considering Airwire around the Headford area. Currently on Lightnet and if you had asked me before October, I couldnt have faulted them.

Not sure what has happened them since, but the quality has completely fallen off a cliff. Huge amounts of packet loss, speeds dropping as low as 2mb and ping going 150ms+ the last while.

Also have imagine available now but after reading some of the posts in the imagine thread, Im avoiding them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement