Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School in Tralee

Options
  • 30-01-2014 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

:) Hi, we have just relocated to Tralee and looking for a good school to send our 4yo girl. Looking for a co-ed primary school which is doing good academically aside from its extra-curricular activities. Any recommendations please? Assuming distance is not an issue. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

There's lots of good schools in Tralee, and several schools on the outskirts that are also good. We chose Balloonagh because at the time we were thinking more towards the secondary school that it feeds into, tbh. The entry policy to Mounthawk has changed recently so this is no longer the factor that it once was, afaik.
    I think that they are all co-ed now, but perhaps the ratio between the genders may differ. I know that Clounalour National School would have been an all-boys school in the past, whereas Balloonagh was all-girls previously.
    Some primary schools may not have the same waiting lists as others, this may be a factor. 4 is still quite young so time is on your side, for now.
    There are open days in Spring in the schools so maybe visit them all then before you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

synergy14 wrote: »
    :) Hi, we have just relocated to Tralee and looking for a good school to send our 4yo girl. Looking for a co-ed primary school which is doing good academically aside from its extra-curricular activities. Any recommendations please? Assuming distance is not an issue. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if it suits your needs, but we are fortunate to have one of the still rather rare Educate Together Schools in Tralee:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tralee-Educate-Together-National-School/165389876850435

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Perhaps the following link may be of interest to you

www.stjohnsschooltralee.ie

Kindest Wishes

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 synergy14

thank you everyone for all your input.. much appreciated..

happy weekend to all =)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ashill5

You should give Flemby N.S. a look, it's just about 5 miles outside Tralee on the Killarney end of the bypass. As far as i know they have a bus service to town. It's a lovely country school with a great pupil teacher ratio!;)
    Our own kids went there and have all gone to secondary now but still have great memories of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Moyderwell and Balloonagh are feeder schools to Mercy Mounthawk and CBS Clonalour is a feeder school to CBS -The Green. Im not sure what relationship the Gael Scoil and the Gael Collaiste have.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Moyderwell and Balloonagh are feeder schools to Mercy Mounthawk and CBS Clonalour is a feeder school to CBS -The Green. Im not sure what relationship the Gael Scoil and the Gael Collaiste have.

Yes, but by the time the 4yo girl in question will have to make a decision about which secondary school to go to this whole feeder school system will likely be a thing of the past. So I wouldn't put to much weight on that point alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ashill5

Flemby N.S. is a feeder school for Presentation Secondary & The Green. But as the previous poster said there be no such thing by the time your little girl is heading for secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I didnt know that about Flemby. My Polish neighbour sent her children there and was very happy with the school.

I reread the OP's post and note that coeducation is an important consideration for them. I dont think Pres has any plans to go coed any time soon.

Other primary schools to consider are:

Listellick, Caherlehane, St Johns Parocial, Holy Family (formerly boys only but coed now), Blennerville, The Spa, Educate Together, CBS Clonalour, The Gael Scoil, Balloonagh, Moyderwell and Presentation.
    Ashill5 wrote: »
    there be no such thing by the time your little girl is heading for secondary.
    Things move very slowly in the irish education system so Ill believe this when I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 synergy14

Thank you everyone. Appreciate your thoughts. =)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Scoil Mhic Easmainn is a mixed all Irish speaking primary school, Gaelcholaiste Chiarrai is a mixed Irish speaking secondary school. They are not linked as such, but many students go on from the primary to the secondary school & don't need to do an entrance exam, unlike someone coming from a non-Irish speaking school. I went to both these schools (a very long time ago!!), and I loved my time there!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Scoil Mhic Easmainn is a mixed all Irish speaking primary school, Gaelcholaiste Chiarrai is a mixed Irish speaking secondary school. They are not linked as such, but many students go on from the primary to the secondary school & don't need to do an entrance exam, unlike someone coming from a non-Irish speaking school. I went to both these schools (a very long time ago!!), and I loved my time there!

Ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh! Not that long ago:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh! Not that long ago:D

You are joking! Peig Sayers was in the year below her! :P

You are joking! Peig Sayers was in the year below her! :P

Surely not???? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Surely not???? :confused:

not far off LOL :P

Advertisement