Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queueing to buy tickets in person - How? Why?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

Feel sorry for those people in Limerick - whatever about those of us who logged in at 9 this morning and failed, its tough on those out for the last couple of nights to miss out. Looks like no fourth Croke Park gig so only hope now is that the Aiken puts a few more concerts on around the country and people get another shot at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Does ticketmaster still allow you buy tickets via their phone lines? I know when I was trying to get tickets for one of the Leonard Cohen concerts I got through much faster than online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Miaireland wrote: »
    Does ticketmaster still allow you buy tickets via their phone lines?.

They do but some people mentioned trying without luck.

When you look at the numbers served per method the website always wins out which means in terms of odds of success this should be your primary method if at all possible (queue up and or call as well if you want to go mad.. but have a toe in online). The incident in Limerick shows that even the idea that you're in the top of the queue will get you tickets may not be true when there is a fault or unforeseen situation at the shop you've chosen to queue at.

BTW some of the descriptions of the problems in this thead sound more like issues with individuals setups. Specifically the way idle timeout works on DSL connections and or WIFI interference causing connections to be lost. People can easily check this by having a light bandwidth stream like a radio station in the background when waiting. If your connection drops the radio stream will be interrupted as well which means you know that is the cause of a timeout on the ticketmaster website. Also the stream will stop your connection idling out if the ticketmaster site takes a long time to respond.

Next time there is a big sale like this I might try simulate a connection failure to see how Ticketmaster reacts to it when you are in a queue... also if there is enough traffic going across to keep a DSL connection active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Plazaman wrote: »
    The amount of people in the last number of days on Boards with they're "what's the deal with Garth Brooks" and "why does Ireland give a crap about Garth Brooks".

Simple fact of the matter is, you either like him or you don't. 200,000 tickets were snapped up in just over an hour this morning so there is an obvious popularity to the man.

But I don't like Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus yet I don't start threads with "What's the deal with....". God forbid everyone would have the same taste in music, it'd be a boring world.

I can only assume that my question hit a nerve with you, because your response is nonsense.

Lady Gaga didn't even sell out one show at the Aviva, the last time she was here. Miley Cyrus has not even sold out one night at The O2 for her upcoming concert in May. Garth Brooks has just sold out three shows at Croke Park. Your point is misguided in the first place, but why you are you comparing the two given the colossal difference in ticket sales is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Can I also just say that my question regarding the demand for Garth Brooks tickets today was nothing to do with his talents or abilities to put on a show. My question was solely regarding the fact that I never hear anybody ever mention Garth Brooks, nor play his music nor say they went to see him live before or would love to see him live again - and them boom, all of a sudden the whole country appears to be going mad for him.

It is the suddenness of it, not the merits of it, that I was asking about.

I know some of you understood the question correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

whirlpool wrote: »
    Can I also just say that my question regarding the demand for Garth Brooks tickets today was nothing to do with his talents or abilities to put on a show. My question was solely regarding the fact that I never hear anybody ever mention Garth Brooks, nor play his music nor say they went to see him live before or would love to see him live again - and them boom, all of a sudden the whole country appears to be going mad for him.

i know loads of people who have seen him/mentioned him going to see him last time he was here (1997, well before my gig-going time unfortunately), i only go to rock/techno/electronic gigs so wouldn't hear an act playing his music, but me and my 20-something friends have belted out the odd Brooks classic when doing karaoke, and i've listened to his albums plenty of times over the years.
    pretty much everyone over the age of 30 will have mentioned Garth Brooks at some point in their live as he was a pretty massive deal in the 90s before he retired to raise his children.
    anyone i know who went to the Croker gigs in 97 say they were fantastic, and having seen
    recordings of his gigs from then (including the Croke Park gigs which were broadcast to the country on RTE afterwards), I can understand why everyone that was there before want to go again, and a sh1tload more who have since seen/heard what a great live spectacle his gigs are in the subsequent 17 years would be interested in going.

all the country is going mad for him because he's just come out retirement and playing his first gig here for 17 years, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dave1978

whirlpool wrote: »

I'm inclined to agree. Im 35, I remember when he was big, he had a few hits, then drifted off, rarely heard about again, then all of a sudden in 2014 you can't get away from the guy, it;s frickin ridiculous! And its bad country music, sorry country fans, but it is, it's the one direction of country music. And it's a few warm up shows for his tour, the old Irish gravy train for the older musician, just ask Bruce Springsteen! He takes the absolute piss. Rocks up every 18 to 24 months, does a few shows, the country wets itself, he makes a few million peddling the same show he did 18 months previously, then comes back and makes another few bob. Lotta good artists come to this country and get maybe a few inches in the press, but garth brooks comes and you would swear music had just been invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Nostalgia is a powerful money machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

screamer wrote: »
    I had the tickets in the cart and all, and it took longer for the payment to be processed than the page had left to complete the order, so it threw my tickets back even though it was half way through the payment authorisation, absolutely fuming. Ticketmaster should invest in their internet services, it was absolutley disgraceful today. To be honest, I'd have been better off in a queue outside a shop than on the internet and that's what I think I'll do in future.

Why should they invest in their internet services when they have more than enough bandwidth 99.9% of the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 sharw7

Can someone help me plz, Can I have my ticketmaster acc open on the laptop, tablet and mobile app all at once to buy tickets? I know I can't have 2 tabs open at once in the same browser, some people say I can and others say I can't!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Firedance wrote: »
    I wondered the same but apparently the shops have an allocated number number of tickets to sell. Someone also suggested that if a shop had 200 tickets and you were person number 201 in the queue they'd let you know rather than leave you camping out all night. You'd like to think that's true!

I used to work in a ticketmaster agency, we were never allocated tickets and we never knew how many tickets would be availble. They were printed off if they were availble, it's all the same pool of tickets regardless if it's online or instore. It's pretty slow instore as you can't print off the next set of tickets till the first lot are printed.

Advertisement