Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternatives to XBMC?

• 30-01-2014 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭

XBMC is working fine for me, but just wanted to check if anyone is using an alternative?

I have an i3 NUC running XBMC with windows 8, currently streaming from a NAS, but whenever akasa release their cases for the new NUC will get the tesla and add some sata hds.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Just wondering, which i3 nuc you have (Thunderbolt or Ethernet) I am hoping to get one myself and am currently holding out for the Ethernet version to come down in price a bit.
    As for an alternative to xbmc, there's:
    Plex: You install management software on server computer and install client software on output devices. The handy thing is that you can have fairly lightweight output clients as the server does the transcoding where necessary to spare the client machine. Your library info (metadata, covers etc) is organised on the server machine so its synced across all devices.
    Mediaportal: Similar to Plex (Server/client setup) Main difference being that Mediaportal only works with windows(as far as I know). One of the main advantages of mediaportal is that the built in tv functions seem to be slightly more stable/advanced compared to xbmc at the moment.
    JRiver: I dont know a lot about this one as it is a paid for application and as such I haven't tried it but it is supposed to be fairly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Cyrus wrote: »
    XBMC is working fine for me, but just wanted to check if anyone is using an alternative?

I have an i3 NUC running XBMC with windows 8, currently streaming from a NAS, but whenever akasa release their cases for the new NUC will get the tesla and add some sata hds.

Check out Plex

Advertisement