Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

movies-finding-nemo-3d-poster-gallery-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I'm getting the disappointed feeling seeing Boss named, but as a few people have said if the unthinkable does happen reddan and Murray are we not better off with him than 2 untested scrum halves?

I am, however, struggling with the choice of only 3 outhalves, I do find myself hoping JJ gets a call for the wolfhounds, as risking Keatley from the start is a needless risk....

And finally even as a Connacht fan I would find it tough to make a convincing argument for Healy, Buckley etc.

Anyway i learned a few years ago not to question Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Before anyone checks, those are actually the headlines of those articles, dont bother going through them all, I already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Swiwi. wrote: »

Are we any wiser than yesterday??

A wee bit actually. I wasn't expecting Healy, Henderson, O'Brien or Earls to be named, Joe wouldn't pick them if he didn't intend using them, even if it is just for the Wolfhounds.

Oh and I've learnt all about the Connacht scrum half Blade...every day is a learning day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I suppose I'm obliged to congratulate those players with Aoatearoan origins (Bent, White, Boss, Payne)...

Have I not warned you about this? God, some people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Diack is way underpowered for international rugby imo.
    It's rather that he fails to use what he has. he is 6'5" and about 18 stone. is very mobile, has very high skill levels and a great l/o operator but he just fails to carry with any brutality. It really lets him down.
    awec wrote: »
    A player with the surname Blade must be a headline writers wet dream. Imagine the puns!
    Zzippy wrote: »

On his first future selection for Ireland...
    "Blade makes the cut."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Someone with Caolin Blade or Luke McGrath could benefit from the experience.

Remember when Kidney named 8-10 additional players to train with the team?

They already have the under 20 squad training with the seniors. I assume there are only so many beds at Carton House :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/ireland-six-nations-squad-the-best-xv-who-failed-to-make-joe-schmidts-46man-panel-30929481.html

In years past, the XV listed here would have made a serviceable enough Ireland A team. Really shows the depth we have now considering 46 other players have been selected for the squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

15. Darragh Fanning (Leinster)

The Leinster flyer has primarily operated on the wing and has all the raw parts to make an international class player.

Not entirely sure there is much point reading further...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/ireland-six-nations-squad-the-best-xv-who-failed-to-make-joe-schmidts-46man-panel-30929481.html

In years past, the XV listed here would have made a serviceable enough Ireland A team. Really shows the depth we have now considering 46 other players have been selected for the squad.

*click in*

15. Darragh Fanning (Leinster)

The Leinster flyer has primarily operated on the wing and has all the raw parts to make an international class player.

*click out*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Not entirely sure there is much point reading further...

I was going to post a caveat about that particular choice!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Surely position wise you would swap olding and fanning, Olding has never player wing before

WAIT.

FANNING WASN'T PICKED FOR IRELAND?!?!

He's scored more tries than Zebo, McFadden and Earls put together this season. Fecking Anti-Ginger bias.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Suck it Teferi :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

WAIT.

FANNING WASN'T PICKED FOR IRELAND?!?!

He's scored more tries than Zebo, McFadden and Earls put together this season. Fecking Anti-Ginger bias.

FFS it's not an anti-ginger bias. Schmidt just sticks with the hair colours he knows and understands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

... No Casey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Decent backline there tbh...and the pack wouldn't be disgraced at all.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Decent backline there tbh...and the pack wouldn't be disgraced at all.

It's actually a useful enough team if you organise the backs properly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Suck it Teferi :p

Ha! I noticed after I clicked back into the thread. Fastest finger won!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

The list makes no sense when half the players are injured and not available either way...!?

My actual best XV of players not selected:

Buckley
    Casey
    Furlong
    M. Kearney
    Holland
    O'Callaghan
    Muldoon
    McKeon

Hart
    Humphreys
    Healy
    Hanrahan
    Farrell
    Fanning
    Conway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/munster-rugby/rotten-way-to-go-out-but-munster-have-to-bounce-back-30929337.html

Murray hopes to be back for the Italy game. Sounds like a nasty injury, thankfully nothing too serious though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Mike Ross left out again by Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

We could see him lining out for the WH just to get some game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

What price he's Munster bound for next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

Wang King wrote: »
    What price he's Munster bound for next season?

Very long odds I'd say, he recently signed a one year extension with Leinster, and I don't think he'd be a candidate for one of Nuciforas' loan deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Is Payne injured or will he be alright for Italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Is Payne injured or will he be alright for Italy?

He's playing 15 for Ulster this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I honestly don't think this will affect his Ireland chances. Joe is his own man and Feek will be able to tell very quickly if Ross is up to it or not. It may simply be the case that Leinster want to start Moore and don't regard Ross as dynamic enough to be a bench option, something Furlong definitely is.

I think Joe will be most interested in Payne at 15 and Earls at 13 this week. I'd expect Earls to have a field day against the Sale seconds so it might be of limited benefit, but even if he can run for 80 minutes and not get injured, that's great for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I honestly don't think this will affect his Ireland chances. Joe is his own man and Feek will be able to tell very quickly if Ross is up to it or not. It may simply be the case that Leinster want to start Moore and don't regard Ross as dynamic enough to be a bench option, something Furlong definitely is.

I think Joe will be most interested in Payne at 15 and Earls at 13 this week. I'd expect Earls to have a field day against the Sale seconds so it might be of limited benefit, but even if he can run for 80 minutes and not get injured, that's great for Ireland.

Yeah the thing I'm most nervous about this weekend is seeing both Fitzy and Earls getting injured ahead of the 6 Nations again. That would be quite upsetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah the thing I'm most nervous about this weekend is seeing both Fitzy and Earls getting injured ahead of the 6 Nations again. That would be quite upsetting.

Add Bowe to that too, his last 6N was 2012 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Do people expect Earls to be considered for the centre or wing with Ireland??? For me, I think he's better on the wing so I'd like to see him start on the wing for the Wolfhounds with Payne, who needs the game time, at 13.

Too many better option at 13 for Earls to be in consideration. He's had a few shots at it already as it didn't really work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

• Advertisement

S12b wrote: »
    Do people expect Earls to be considered for the centre or wing with Ireland??? For me, I think he's better on the wing so I'd like to see him start on the wing for the Wolfhounds with Payne, who needs the game time, at 13.

I have a nagging feeling Schmidt will go for Payne at 13 again like vs SA with Henshaw at 12 and Fitz at 11. But I would love to see a Fitzgerald-Henshaw midfield and Zebo at 11, with Earls potentially coming in for Zebo as the tournament progresses and Payne waiting in the wings as a hell of an impact sub/injury cover

Tox56 wrote: »
    I have a nagging feeling Schmidt will go for Payne at 13 again like vs SA with Henshaw at 12 and Fitz at 11. But I would love to see a Fitzgerald-Henshaw midfield and Zebo at 11, with Earls potentially coming in for Zebo as the tournament progresses and Payne waiting in the wings as a hell of an impact sub/injury cover

Hmm unfortunately you could well be right. Like most Irish fans, I'd love to see a Henshaw/Fitz midfield.....I also think Fitz has done more at 13 in the last 6 weeks than Payne has ever done there so give us the midfield we all want and stick anyone of Zebo/Earls/Kearney at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Surely it has to affect it to some degree. By the time of the Italy game, Ross won't have played a match for, what, a month? I wonder is there any chance they might give him a run for the wolfhounds?
    He's just been leapfrogged by two guys; you'd think that would hold some sway with the Irish coaches in what was already a close call.

Flipper22 wrote: »
    Surely it has to affect it to some degree. By the time of the Italy game, Ross won't have played a match for, what, a month? I wonder is there any chance they might give him a run for the wolfhounds?
    He's just been leapfrogged by two guys; you'd think that would hold some sway with the Irish coaches in what was already a close call.

Most of the papers are suggesting Ross and White will be involved with the Wolfhounds.....could actually be a very strong front row for that game.....McGrath + Healy at loosehead with Ross + White at tighthead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Hagz wrote: »
    I don't think it's that clear cut between Marmion and Boss. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Schmidt opt for Boss in the case of injury. Marmion gets a lot of praise because he's electric in open play, but I still think the technical aspects of his game need work.

Boss's form and execution has fallen off a cliff this season, we can only assume that come the WC it will have declined even further. His pass was never great but it has deteriorated rapidly this season, his decision making is ponderous and suspect, pretty much all he has left to offer is a strong defense at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think Joe is a fan of Luke at 13, he mentioned him when BOD retired, given the length of Paynes lay off and the fact he hasn't been playing 13 would leave Luke ahead of him in the pecking order. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Luke at 13

Ireland Injury watch

31 mimutes into 320 minutes of European rugby and already Dave Kearney and Eoin Reddan have had to leave the field.

McFadden making a big impression today. Might be nailing down the jersey for Rome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

bilston wrote: »
    McFadden making a big impression today. Might be nailing down the jersey for Rome

Murphy as well, some very nice carries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

murray and reddan out would be a disaster

Murphy as well, some very nice carries.

Yeah some noticeable carries. One silly penalty when Wasps were under pressure is one black mark against him, but a 7 who gives away no penalties isn't doing his job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

i would be hopeful reddan isnt too bad, it looks more like a knock , hopefully anyway

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah some noticeable carries. One silly penalty when Wasps were under pressure is one black mark against him, but a 7 who gives away no penalties isn't doing his job!

Was that him specifically? Ryan, Toner and him and also McFadden I think were all borderline at that ruck to say the least

I still think if Hendo is fit he'll play 6 and POM 7 v Italy

Was that him specifically? Ryan, Toner and him and also McFadden I think were all borderline at that ruck to say the least

I still think if Hendo is fit he'll play 6 and POM 7 v Italy

I thought he interfered with Simpson when he got off the ground. You might be right though. Maybe it was just a coincidence that Garces blew his whistle at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Redo91

Is Murray out of the Italy game?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement