Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

bilston wrote: »
    What has he scored a hat trick or something?

He's waiting until the Italian game :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wang King wrote: »
    A 13 who knows how to score :)

Who, Darren Cave?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Hope we see Earls on Wing for Wolfhounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

wprathead wrote: »
    Hope we see Earls on Wing for Wolfhounds

I'd say he will get gametime at both 13 and wing. McFadden, Zebo and Bowe are probably favourites for the wings with Henshaw and Fitzgerald as the preferred centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

bilston wrote: »
    What has he scored a hat trick or something?

:pac:

I'd put Earls in the category of player we cannot afford to leave out of the 23 if available, but I'd also put Fitz and Payne in that category. With Henshaw nailed in for one of the centre spots we're kind of running out of space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

EARLS FOR IRELAND!

it today the longest earls has played on his comeback so far? he needs to get a few 80s under his belt possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Tox56 wrote: »
    :pac:

I'd put Earls in the category of player we cannot afford to leave out of the 23 if available, but I'd also put Fitz and Payne in that category. With Henshaw nailed in for one of the centre spots we're kind of running out of space.

A great complaint to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I'd feel more comfortable having Payne on the bench rather than Earls but I can see Earls starting on the wing anyway. It does feel a bit wrong to have someone as good as Payne sitting on the bench though. Hopefully we'll get to see him start against Scotland at least.

By the way, I think it was last week i mentioned here that Henderson could likely be at 6 for Italy with POM at 7 and it was dismissed by others. Seems even more likely to me now!

11. Earls
    12. Luke
    13. Henshaw
    14. Bowe
    15. Payne

would be an outrageous backline. Can't see Payne ousting Kearney just yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's unfortunate for Earls that he came back a bit too late. Fitzgerald has played well in all his games and even got motm in yesterday's do or die game with Wasps. Earls is right in the reckoning for the 23 though.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    It's unfortunate for Earls that he came back a bit too late. Fitzgerald has played well in all his games and even got motm in yesterday's do or die game with Wasps. Earls is right in the reckoning for the 23 though.

I wonder will Earls start the WH game with a view to him playing the full 80 to get his match fitness up a little?

aimee1 wrote: »
    I wonder will Earls start the WH game with a view to him playing the full 80 to get his match fitness up a little?

I was looking at it from the view of Earls as a centre. I think Henshaw and Fitz have the starting jerseys for the Italy game. Earls could easily start in the wing but I reckon Zebo, Bowe and Kearney will make up the back three. They're all in reasonably good form and have credit in the bank from their November test performances. Payne, Earls and Mc Fadden will scrap it out for the 23 jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I'd feel more comfortable having Payne on the bench rather than Earls but I can see Earls starting on the wing anyway. It does feel a bit wrong to have someone as good as Payne sitting on the bench though. Hopefully we'll get to see him start against Scotland at least.

By the way, I think it was last week i mentioned here that Henderson could likely be at 6 for Italy with POM at 7 and it was dismissed by others. Seems even more likely to me now!

Well I will admit that I dismissed it.

After last night I'd say it's very possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Williams for ireland.

Potential team to face Italy?

McGrath, Best, Moore, Toner, POC, Henderson, POM, Heaslip, Murray, Madigan, Earls, Fitz, Henshaw, Bowe, Kearney

Bench: Healy, Cronin, Ross, Foley, SOB, Marmion, Keatley, Payne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Potential team to face Italy?

McGrath, Best, Moore, Toner, POC, Henderson, POM, Heaslip, Murray, Madigan, Earls, Fitz, Henshaw, Bowe, Kearney

Bench: Healy, Cronin, Ross, Foley, SOB, Marmion, Keatley, Payne

Can't leave Zebo out of the side. He been playing very well season, was very good in the Autumn, and was world-class out of position today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd be shocked if SOB was on the bench so quickly, but maybe!

I don't know who I'd pick between Zebo, Earls and McFadden. Harsh to leave any out, but if Earls goes well for the WH, I'd nearly have to opt for him.

I was looking at it from the view of Earls as a centre. I think Henshaw and Fitz have the starting jerseys for the Italy game. Earls could easily start in the wing but I reckon Zebo, Bowe and Kearney will make up the back three. They're all in reasonably good form and have credit in the bank from their November test performances. Payne, Earls and Mc Fadden will scrap it out for the 23 jersey.

im thinking that JS might be reluctant to start a guy who hasnt played 80 minutes this season. How much gametime has Payne had the last few weeks?

Zebo Bowe Kearney is the back 3. I cant see that changing barring injury.

Henshaw and Fitz for me in the centre. Fitz has put in big 80 minute shifts lately and his defence yesterday was brilliant. I dont know where people think we will go looking to tear it up in Rome. We will go there looking to win.

Murray hopefully and Madigan at half back

The bench will be Keatley, Marmion and one of McFadden, Earls, Payne and I think McFadden might get it for Italy.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if SOB was on the bench so quickly, but maybe!

I don't know who I'd pick between Zebo, Earls and McFadden. Harsh to leave any out, but if Earls goes well for the WH, I'd nearly have to opt for him.

If we're playing fantasy rugby,

11 Zebo
    12 Earls
    13 Fitz
    14 Bowe
    15 Kearney

Can't leave Zebo out of the side. He been playing very well season, was very good in the Autumn, and was world-class out of position today.

Who would he replace though?

• Advertisement

TOD must be nailed on for the 7 jersey until SOB returns. He was always the obvious choice, but he had a brilliant game today which should quieten some doubters/critics.

im thinking that JS might be reluctant to start a guy who hasnt played 80 minutes this season. How much gametime has Payne had the last few weeks?

Zebo Bowe Kearney is the back 3. I cant see that changing barring injury.

Henshaw and Fitz for me in the centre. Fitz has put in big 80 minute shifts lately and his defence yesterday was brilliant. I dont know where people think we will go looking to tear it up in Rome. We will go there looking to win.

Murray hopefully and Madigan at half back

The bench will be Keatley, Marmion and one of McFadden, Earls, Payne and I think McFadden might get it for Italy.
    Payne's been fullback for Ulster's last two European games. Don't think he's had a run out in the 13 jersey since returning from injury, but maybe someone who follows Ulster more closely can clarify. He played well against South Africa, but not well enough that Schmidt will throw him straight back into into the starting 15, especially after an injury and little game time at outside centre.

Schmidt sees the centres as interchangeable so we may see Fitz and Henshaw change positions during certain moments of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Kearney and Bowe are pretty much nailed on I'd say. For me there is no way we should ever consider omitting Henshaw either. That leaves 1 winger and 1 center.

With Trimble and Kearney out it'll be Earls or Zebo for the wing spot, Earls would be preferable for me if he was fully fit, but I'd doubt that will be the case so it'd be Zebo there in that case and he'll be absolutely fine there.

The other center spot would go to Fitzgerald for me. Henshaw playing inside Fitzgerald in the defensive line.

TOD must be nailed on for the 7 jersey until SOB returns. He was always the obvious choice, but he had a brilliant game today which should quieten some doubters/critics.

Jordi Murphy has just as good a chance I think.

If Murray is out, I can't see Henshaw and Fitz starting together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Given Schmidt talks about gametime a lot in terms of selection decisions, could he justify selecting Mike Ross if he is suddenly 3rd choice TH at Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Well his direct competitor, Jordi Murphy, was also very good yesterday and importantly, that match was a proper one unlike today's non-event. TOD is certainly right there to start at 7 but nailed on, no chance!!

Wang King wrote: »
    If Murray is out, I can't see Henshaw and Fitz starting together

What's your thinking there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Murphy also played well yesterday against a better side. I wouldn't rule him out just yet, Murphy has the physical edge which is often the difference maker for 7s at international level.

I personally think TOD is in danger of ending up as Munster's Shane Jennings, and the Sarries game is an example of how that happens to these guys. Talented opensides who begin to struggle against well structured physical opposition at the elite level.

• Advertisement

Carrying aside I thought he was poor at the breakdown today. Very rarely does he get his head down in there before the opposition. His clear outs are mediocre. If we have in there for a dynamic carrier then fair enough, but other than that I'd have murphy in as he's a more all round open side.

Given Schmidt talks about gametime a lot in terms of selection decisions, could he justify selecting Mike Ross if he is suddenly 3rd choice TH at Leinster?

Mike Ross is 3rd choice TH at Leinster.

No way he drops out of a matchday 23 in a pivotal game for tactics.

Will be interesting to see what Joe does alright. To be honest, I think Ross' star is fading, and posted as much several months ago. Reckoned we were going to need someone else to come through and rip the shirt off his back.

Didn't think we might see two of them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I think Schmidt will give him the WH game and keep him on the bench in case of a scrum emergency

S12b wrote: »
    What's your thinking there?

Probably because Mermion would be odds on to start due to Reddan being injured as well. Would mean a Marmion-Madigan half back partnership with a Henshaw-Fitz midfield. Neither pairings have ever been tried before and it would be a big risk to try it in an away game. Italy would be right up for it too as they usually are in the opening games.

Quite possible we see D'arcy starting. I hope it's not the case as he's past it now but he's reliable and massively experienced. Schmidt may want that experience to balance things out.

Jordi was excellent for leinster yesterday in a properly competitive game against the team 4th in the AP against a very strong backrow for wasps.

TOD was very good today against a 2nd string Sale [8th in AP] who were finished after about 50 minutes so its hard to judge just how good it was.

Munsters performance today wont be a barometer to use to judge players. Zebo's first half today was more impressive for me then the 2nd half because the game had a bit of niggle and was competitive and he was very good, probably the best player on the pitch in the 1st half by a long way.

Henderson - POM - Heaslip
    POM - Jordi/TOD - Heaslip

If Heaslip's shoulder isnt right we could see

Henderson - Jordi/TOD - POM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Can when there are several more rounded players to choose from.

World class today? Performance in a romp counts for nothing whatsoever. World class can only be judged against worthy opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Furlong isn't in the squad is he?

Moore is starting but Ross will be on the bench.

Probably because Mermion would be odds on to start due to Reddan being injured as well. Would mean a Marmion-Madigan half back partnership with a Henshaw-Fitz midfield. Neither pairings have ever been tried before and it would be a big risk to try it in an away game. Italy would be right up for it too as they usually are in the opening games.

Quite possible we see D'arcy starting. I hope it's not the case as he's past it now but he's reliable and massively experienced. Schmidt may want that experience to balance things out.

against SA we had new centre pairing, then 2 weeks later against Aus another new centre pairing. They have two weeks to train together to get some understanding. We arent going to Italy to play champagne rugby, we are going there to win. The best players will be in the pitch IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Ross is really 2nd choice I recon. If moore was injured he'd have started. Furlong has a better impact off the bench but moc clearly doesn't trust his scrummaging yet in a tight game. There isn't much between moore and ross. Will schmit drop ross after he started all the games so far?. Absolutely I would say if he thought he merited it.

White for me is the dark horse. Recon he could be in the 23 before either of the above. Competition is very tight.

Murphy is nailed-on for 7. You cant nail two guys at the same time.

against SA we had new centre pairing, then 2 weeks later against Aus another new centre pairing. They have two weeks to train together to get some understanding. We arent going to Italy to play champagne rugby, we are going there to win. The best players will be in the pitch IMO

They played alongside a settled, world class pairing of Murray and Sexton. Possibly playing alongside Marmion and Madigan makes a big difference. It would certainly make for some edge of your seat rugby though.

• Advertisement

Murphy is nailed-on for 7. You cant nail two guys at the same time.
    ooh-matron-kenneth-williams-carry-on-bouvier-des-flandres-puppies-for-sale-uk.jpg?w=300&h=294

You cant nail two guys at the same time.

Am I allowed make a 'your mom' joke here or is that against the charter?

They played alongside a settled, world class pairing of Murray and Sexton. Possibly playing alongside Marmion and Madigan makes a big difference. It would certainly make for some edge of your seat rugby though.

if thats the case then JS should just pick 23 players from one province because they play together all the time.

The whole IRFU system allows the coach 2 weeks with the players to train and Madigan and Fitz have played together the most lately too. Its not really a consideration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Please quote me back if I'm wrong, but I reckon TOD won't get the 7 jersey for Italy. Doesn't really matter what the doubters/critics think, it's what Joe decides (obviously), but I reckon it'll either be Murphy, or a move for one of the 6s (POM, or Ruddock if fit, but I've lost track of when Ruddock is back).

Can when there are several more rounded players to choose from.

World class today? Performance in a romp counts for nothing whatsoever. World class can only be judged against worthy opposition.

Are you including the interpros in that? :pac:

Fight for a better Ireland! Pledge your support for Zebo. :D

:( .....although at least to get to go on the sauce for a bit!!

http://instagram.com/p/ySM4uvRak4/

Yeah I really don't think TOD is nailed on for anything. Looking good against a poor side today means nothing at all. Although in fairness to him he's been good this season. I don't want to sound like a broken record but i'd much rather see Henderson in beast mode smashing everything while POM does the groundhog work.

Yeah I really don't think TOD is nailed on for anything. Looking good against a poor side today means nothing at all. I don't want to sound like a broken record but i'd much rather see Henderson in beast mode smashing everything while POM does the groundhog work.

Henderson will bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Popped over to the IRFU site and spotted this "shoulder to shoulder" section. Whoever is the makeup person for these photoshoots should be fired.

eisCzBR.jpg
    Kearney seems to realise how ridiculous the whole thing is.

The boys are more tanned than the girls.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement