Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Hell

Options
  • 30-01-2014 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I bought a new laptop from Dell before Christmas. It is a relatively high spec machine but the wireless connection is crap and loses speed very quickly when not immediately beside my UPC router. I have tried it on 4 different networks. Where a much cheaper HP machine and an 8 year old Lidll Targa laptop achieve wireless speeds of 20mb the dell struggles to get 1mb. We also have machines from emachines and Sony which all work properly.

Dell have replaced the wireless card 3 times, they have replaced the screen where the antennae is located they have attempted driver replacements and re-installing the OS. They sent me a new machine of the same model with exactly the same problem. So I now have the 2 machines in my possession.

Dell are now offering me a refund. But I want to insist that they fulfill the contract and provide me with working machine. Does anyone know if I can legally refuse the refund, insist on them fulfilling the contract and hold both machines until they do.

My reason for this is that the I cannot find a similar spec machine for the same price elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The remediation has to be reasonable - as repair has failed, then Dell is obliged to offer a refund or replace. They have offered a refund which is reasonable. I don't think you have firm grounds to hold them to a replacement.

(BTQ - Why would you want a replacement? You don't seem to have had a good experience with them).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You mention UPC is it horizon? That only has a range of one metre on certain WiFi frequencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

under consumer law they can choose to try a repair, replacement or refund.

In fairness the repair and replacement options have been tried and neither fixed the issue. I cant see why you would have such an issue with the refund after which you can go get something else or a diff model if needs be ?

on a separate note, 3 diff cards, and a diff system and the same problem. To me the likelihood is the problem is localized in some way but I think that's besides the point.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If they cant get you a machine that works, then they can't do it. All they can do is refund you. Pursuing them for something they have tried and failed to do, when they are offering you a fair alternative solution, is a pointless waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

if it is UPC i'd nearly be sure there isn't anything wrong with the notebook .. try a separate wireless access point and see what the signal is like.

BTW ... give up on the notion that you will be able to 'force' dell in to supplying a new notebook - it seems they have attempted a repair and a replacement and now a refund; i'd imagine they just don't want to deal with you anymore and as such are being offered the refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Refuse a refund :confused:. That has to be a first.
    There are plenty of other laptops out there that you can spec up to meet your requirements. Just my opinion and in my experience Dell laptops are sh1te anyway, i'd never buy another one.

yes older routers may be only transmitting on wireless a or g which the older laptop cards probably have. try it on a modern wifi network.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 markeyk

Ok thanks everyone it seems that insisting on contract fulfillment is not an option then.

Every other device works perfectly on the same networks (I have tried it on 4 different networks) so it is the Dell machine.

I have also tried it with USB wireless adapters which work properly on all other machines but poorly on the Dell.

I guess a refund is what I will have to go for.

markeyk wrote: »
    Ok thanks everyone it seems that insisting on contract fulfillment is not an option then.

They are fulfilling their obligation. I'm not sure what sense of contract fulfillment you think you have but you don't have one that supersedes consumer law.

if you genuinely believe its a design issue, then repairing or replacements wont sort the problem, what would you rather have happen a new repair / replacement machine each week for the next 10 years ?

I can understand your unhappy but try taking a logical approach to the situation aswell. Clearly a refund is the most appropriate option and it fits the obligations under consumer law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I am used to seeing people here complaining about poor service, but to me, Dell seems to be doing everything right (for once)

How many times have they attempted a fix? You mention the wireless card has been replaced 3 times and also the aerial in the screen. THEN they gave you a new laptop.

Still you have a problem. Most people would be screaming for a refund long before now. I cannot help in thinking you are being unreasonable in refusing the offer of a refund. I see what you are saying about not getting another machine for the same money, but come on, whatelse can they do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It's a bit odd that the internal wireless is not working correctly and the external USB wireless adapter(s) as well? That doesn't sound right.

Every other device works perfectly on the same networks (I have tried it on 4 different networks) so it is the Dell machine.

I have also tried it with USB wireless adapters which work properly on all other machines but poorly on the Dell.

I guess a refund is what I will have to go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It's a bit odd that the internal wireless is not working correctly and the external USB wireless adapter(s) as well? That doesn't sound right.
    That struck me as odd too. Take the money and run I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 markeyk

I am used to seeing people here complaining about poor service, but to me, Dell seems to be doing everything right (for once)

How many times have they attempted a fix? You mention the wireless card has been replaced 3 times and also the aerial in the screen. THEN they gave you a new laptop.

Still you have a problem. Most people would be screaming for a refund long before now. I cannot help in thinking you are being unreasonable in refusing the offer of a refund. I see what you are saying about not getting another machine for the same money, but come on, whatelse can they do?
    maybe supply a machine that does what it is supposed to do! :-)

I am going to take the refund, though the advice I have received from the National Consumer Agency that it is my call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

maybe supply a machine that does what it is supposed to do! :-)

I am going to take the refund, though the advice I have received from the National Consumer Agency that it is my call.

As far as I can see, they have tried. Not just once, not twice, it appears not even three times, but more.

It is your call, and if you want to carry on farting around thats fine, but it appears quite plainly to me, that, for whatever reason, they cannot do it.

Its ENTIRELY fair and reasonable for them to offer you a refund.

As far as I can see, they have tried. Not just once, not twice, it appears not even three times, but more.

It is your call, and if you want to carry on farting around thats fine, but it appears quite plainly to me, that, for whatever reason, they cannot do it.

Its ENTIRELY fair and reasonable for them to offer you a refund.

totally agree. There just no logic in forcing repair after repair after repair and getting nowhere.

Nobody wins in that situation. Id think at the very least for the OP's sanity and so as not to waste hours and days of their own time that the OP would see the solution as fair and reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Take the refund.

You can always just buy the same model again if you really must have it.

Advertisement