Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord changed Letting agency. Notified by email

Options
  • 30-01-2014 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Hey there. Woke up this morning to an email stating that my landlord has changed letting agency. Should I not be sent a letter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

bombidol wrote: »
    Hey there. Woke up this morning to an email stating that my landlord has changed letting agency. Should I not be sent a letter?

You were notified in writing. Nice of your landlord to do so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You were notified in writing. Nice of your landlord to do so ;)

Landlords are legally required to notify the tenant of a change of contact details/agent.

I dont think it matters tbh; seemingly the PRTB are even considering text message to be an appropriate means of written communication these days.

Of course, a text/email is not traceable, and if you claim you didnt get it then there isnt much that the landlord can do about it, but in this case you did get it so I hardly think it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

It's 2014. If anything I'd say it's preferable to get it in electronic format to save you scanning. You know you can always print the email if you're dead set in keeping a hard copy on file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Email isn't totally reliable. If it were me I'd send an email, but follow it up with a letter. Or ring first and follow it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

beauf wrote: »
    Email isn't totally reliable..

As opposed to An Post who manage 100% delivery rates :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Standard post might not be 100% reliable, but registered post is. If they sign for it, they got it, 100%.

Which is why I said to use more than one method of communication.

You ring, then follow it up with a written or email, quoting the phone call.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

djimi wrote: »
    Standard post might not be 100% reliable, but registered post is. If they sign for it, they got it, 100%.

And email can be sent with delivery and read receipts. Email is a legitimate communication method, the OP has got the message, why the kafuffle over nothing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

A lot of people (including me) will not sign for registered post. Good news does not come by registered post.

D3PO wrote: »
    And email can be sent with delivery and read receipts. Email is a legitimate communication method, the OP has got the message, why the kafuffle over nothing ?

I didnt think anyone ever actually clicks Yes to a read receipt on an email? :p

Im not saying that email is not legitimate, Im just saying its not as reliable as registered post (when you consider almost nobody ever select to request a read receipt on an email).
    Bigcheeze wrote: »
    A lot of people (including me) will not sign for registered post. Good news does not come by registered post.

If you dont sign for it then at least the landlord has gotten confirmation that you did not receive it.

Also, what good do you think burying your head in the sand is going to do when it comes to registered letters? If your landlord is sending you importand correspondance (ie a notice of termination) do you think its going to go away just because you dont sign for the letter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I didnt think anyone ever actually clicks Yes to a read receipt on an email? :p

Im not saying that email is not legitimate, Im just saying its not as reliable as registered post (when you consider almost nobody ever select to request a read receipt on an email).

If you dont sign for it then at least the landlord has gotten confirmation that you did not receive it.

most people wouldn't click yes to a read receipt but a delivery one is automatic and just like registered post you cant prove that the letter was read there either ;)

D3PO wrote: »
    ...the OP has got the message, why the kafuffle over nothing ?

That was his question.
    ...Should I not be sent a letter?

I guess you'd have to look up the legal requirements.

But why does it matter anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Who'd you pay the deposit to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

The law requires that the tenant be notified of a landlord's agent, if any.
    There is no mention in the law that it must be by letter nor that an email or text are an insufficient means of communication for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I always prefer email to a letter, even a registered one. For instance, I recently sent important documents to a government official and requested that they acknowledge delivery. They did. Job done.

With a registered letter, how do you ever prove what was in the envelope?? Yes, they got a letter. But it could have been a photocopy of your backside, for all a 3rd party would know.....

Finding some reason to induce the party to respond to my email is my way of proof of message sent. I've never understood the idea of keeping a copy of a letter sent. No one can ever prove that there was even a letter inside a sealed registered letter?

I'm planning to go Part 4 in a few weeks and, while I've toyed with the official letter template that I've sourced on citizensinformation.ie, I think an email should be fine in 2014. It allows me to continue an email trail that started at the start of the tenancy. I, for one, would be happy with an email from a landlord / agent and very possibly a text too. IF it was from an official mobile number only.

Don't know why but i find emails are often ignored but letters get a response more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

the_syco wrote: »
    Who'd you pay the deposit to?

What are the implication with regards to your deposit, if it was paid to the original agent? :confused:

You should have a reciept no?

Advertisement