Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transmitting photographs as email attachments

Options
  • 30-01-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I am having a problem transmitting some photographs (4), size 44 MB in total, by email, via gmail. I zipped the photos without any joy. I split into 2 batches, 1 containing 23 MB which was transmitted successfully. The 2nd batch containing the remaining 2 photos, 21 MB failed to transmit. Same error result, as previously, was shown ... "552 sorry, that message size exceeds my databytes limit (#5.3.4)".

I contacted Three, who are my Internet service provider and they advise that there is no limit restriction imposed by 3? Is it therefore a gmail issue? Are there any settings that I must change on my gmail account? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You will need to resize the photos before you send them, also don't zip them as if you do your more likely to get this error. You can download and install Image Resizer for Windows which will do the job, just right click on multiple photos->Resize Pictures and follow the instructions. Then attach the resized files

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Maidhci wrote: »
    I am having a problem transmitting some photographs (4), size 44 MB in total, by email, via gmail

E-mail isn't the best choice for sending large files.

If you signed up for Google Drive (since you have a google account already), you could upload the files then make them public and share them out.
    So you only need to e-mail the web link to them, and also you keep a backup of your photos in Google Drive.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

There are some simple image hosting sites that are better for this

www.imgur.com
    http://snag.gy
    http://tinypic.com
    https://imageshack.com
    http://photobucket.com

Or create a www.dropbox account and share the folder if the images are sensitive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Send them one-by-one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I am having a problem transmitting some photographs (4), size 44 MB in total, by email, via gmail. I zipped the photos without any joy. I split into 2 batches, 1 containing 23 MB which was transmitted successfully. The 2nd batch containing the remaining 2 photos, 21 MB failed to transmit. Same error result, as previously, was shown ... "552 sorry, that message size exceeds my databytes limit (#5.3.4)".

I contacted Three, who are my Internet service provider and they advise that there is no limit restriction imposed by 3? Is it therefore a gmail issue? Are there any settings that I must change on my gmail account? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It wasnt that hard to find
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6584?hl=en

"You can send messages up to 25 megabytes (MB) in size. If you’d like to send attachments that are larger than this, you can insert from Google Drive instead.

You may not be able to send larger attachments to contacts who use other email services with smaller attachment limits. If your attachment is too large to be sent to your contacts, you can also insert using Google Drive to get larger files to them. (You can also invite them to Gmail)."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

... "552 sorry, that message size exceeds my databytes limit (#5.3.4)".

By any chance, was the section quoted above an error message sent back from the person you were trying to send the photos to? Your mail may have pushed them over quota, and their corporate email system is sending that error message.

As Zascar mentioned, there are plenty of ways to send photos other than attaching them to an email - I've often used those type of file hosting sites to share files that are up to GB in size.

Dropbox is another easy to use alternative, where you upload files to a dropbox folder and send the person a link to access.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Thanks edanto - it is quite probable that the message received was sent from the intended recipient's mailbox. In fact reading it now, with your very helpful input, seeing that it states ".....message size exceeds my databytes limit" it is likely that this is the problem. Will check out with the intended recipient who also has a gmail account. Thank again, and thanks for all the helpful suggestions above, which I will explore and which I have thanked individually, where appropriate.

Advertisement