Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem connecting to NAS on wired connection

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I've set the DNS Servers to the ones that are there for the automatic setting and evreything is now working fine. A static IP address on the IMac has fixed whatever the issue was.

Thanks a million for both of your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

Synode wrote: »
    I've set the DNS Servers to the ones that are there for the automatic setting and evreything is now working fine. A static IP address on the IMac has fixed whatever the issue was.

Although you havent given the address it was giving during DHCP , sounds like it was not giving you correct settings . esp if it works with static.

Anyway good to hear its working

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thats great but its not a neat long term solution though. I still strongly recommend setting the NAS to an IP outside the dhcp range. It could even be that your iMac grabbed .11 from DHCP when you first connected it via cable.

What's the range of DHCP? When I log into the router is says the starting local address is .10 and the DHCP pool size is 245. So does that mean it will assign addresses between .10 and .255? Can I set an address of .260?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

What's the range of DHCP? When I log into the router is says the starting local address is .10 and the DHCP pool size is 245. So does that mean it will assign addresses between .10 and .255? Can I set an address of .260?

it will assign address between .10 and .254 .255 would be your broadcast address for the network . the number can only be between 0 - 255

If you want to set a device an IP within that range you can, but its recommended to change the DHCP so the static IP isnt assigned to another device. so for example. set the DHCP pool to a size of 90 between .10 and .100 set any static IPs you want/need to .101 - .254 ( using same subnet, gateway, DNS as the IP's assigned by DHCP

• Advertisement

Ah OK in that case you can set it to anything between 2 and 9. .260 isn't a valid address.

Usually on consumer routers the dhcp will stop at something like 100 hence my initial suggestion.

I'll change the pool to 90 and set all static IP's bigger than .100. Thanks again folks

I'll change the pool to 90 and set all static IP's bigger than .100. Thanks again folks

And once you've done that, try setting the iMac back to auto and see if that works.

Advertisement