Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

processor upgrade gone wrong

Options
  • 30-01-2014 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Newbie to processors upgrades; hard drive replacement - new OS inclusing Linux distros no problem but today I went to replace a GT860 with an i5 -3570k and disaster.

1st. Windows BSOD with several different issues flashed.
    2nd. Then nothing - not even BIOS or monitor would start

Replaced the processor with the old one - got a flash telling me I'd replaced the processor and before I could select y/N gone!

At this stage I'm panicking as I'm doing it as a favour.

After resetting the BIOS with the jumper nothing - so I decided to bring everything back to the way I found it i.e original processor and HD. No go.
    Then I thought that I'd seen something similarly a few years ago when I had a defective RAM. So I put the one stick of RAM into another slot - now I was getting places. Relief - I have windows 7 64bit with new HD (1TB)
    and old GT860.

What did I do wrong? BIOS upgrade? ( besides a little knowledge ;-) It looked so easy on YouTube :-)

Mother board B75 Pro 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭briany

vedwards wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Newbie to processors upgrades; hard drive replacement - new OS inclusing Linux distros no problem but today I went to replace a GT860 with an i5 -3570k and disaster.

1st. Windows BSOD with several different issues flashed.
    2nd. Then nothing - not even BIOS or monitor would start

Replaced the processor with the old one - got a flash telling me I'd replaced the processor and before I could select y/N gone!

At this stage I'm panicking as I'm doing it as a favour.

After resetting the BIOS with the jumper nothing - so I decided to bring everything back to the way I found it i.e original processor and HD. No go.
    Then I thought that I'd seen something similarly a few years ago when I had a defective RAM. So I put the one stick of RAM into another slot - now I was getting places. Relief - I have windows 7 64bit with new HD (1TB)
    and old GT860.

What did I do wrong? BIOS upgrade? ( besides a little knowledge ;-) It looked so easy on YouTube :-)

Mother board B75 Pro 3

You say you flashed the MoBo BIOS....In that situation, if I went from everything working <flash> everything not working until a RAM reseat, I'd be thinking that the BIOS update was causing an issue with the hardware and different revisions of firmware can have weird problems, that's not an uncommon thing. Main thing you did wrong (imho) is letting on to anyone you know anything about computers :D . This can often lead to you feeling or being held accountable for the well being of family and friends machines henceforth. If you were being a paid a standard tech support wage that'd be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭vedwards

Point taken BRIANY, I wouldn't have taken on the task only he did approach a PC Tech but they wouldn't carry out the work.

To clarify, I'd didn't flash the BIOS or upgrade it to a different revision level.

Update: Everything was going swimmingly - went for a walk - came back and the PC was stuck in the BIOS prompt. Lots of fancy graphics. Won't switch on - just keeps cycling - start up / off etc.

Place the 4GB RAM stick in its original socket - no difference.

P.S. I did clean out the original HD of malware etc which was the original problem then they wanted a new HD! :mad:

O.K....Removed all PCI cards and peripheral (except mouse & keyboard) Replaced the BIOS back-up Battery (It read low ~2.9) Still cycled - then I removed the Cosair RAM stick (Vengenace) and it stopped recycling. Not ruling out the PSU but it looks like the RAM???

WDYT?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭vedwards

Upgrading from Sandy Bridge [Pentium G870] to Ivy Bridge [i5 3570k] - problem occurred because when I replaced the HD [1TB] with the OS [Win 7 Pro] in my eagerness I omitted [use to be a sin one time] to check the Device Manager for conflicts or missing drivers. When I did get the brute working eventually with the G870 [old processor] I made sure Win 7 was fully updated (SP1) and all drivers were loaded.

USB 3 driver was not installed.

P.S. I have yet to receive a 'Thank You' message - Ah..the young folk of today..now in my day fado fado...

Advertisement