Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Randomly Shuts Itself off, Help Please

Options
  • 30-01-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

I have a PS4 bought at launch in gamestop, ive noticed now that a few times i'd be randomly playing a game and the ps4 would shut itself down for no reason, then sometimes reboot and other times reboot into safe mode and get stuck there unable to reboot. Its happened on a few different occasions not all the time just here and there, any ideas how to fix or should i return to gamestop and try for a replacement? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I just posted this in the megathread about half an hour ago... :(
    Have my console about 3 weeks, it's been pretty much perfect up until yesterday - FIFA was running, not playing (controller was on the table) and the console made a beep and decided to turn itself off, then back on again.

It did this a number of times without any input from me, switch itself on, then off again after a couple of seconds... eventually it got itself into safe mode. I chose the first option - to reset the console - during the process it did its on/off trick again, back into safe mode. Started the restart process again, this time it completed.
    Machine started up again, and appeared to be ok. Started up resogun after a few minutes of moving around menus, but after about 15-20 mins of playing it beeped again, and rather than restart itself it just went into standby mode (yellow light on top of console). Switched on again in safe mode, did a restart, and after it finished just turned it off in disgust.

Came back an hour or two later, switched on and everything seemed fine, played FIFA for about 45 mins before it beeped and went into standby again. Just unplugged it and left it.

Anyone experienced anything like this? A quick google suggested removing and reinserting the HDD, will try when I get home.
    I imagine its f**ked isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Same thing happening to me lads, got at Christmas, grand the first few weeks and then this. I can go hours and it doesn't happen one session, and 5 mins the next and it goes off

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

tgdaly wrote: »
    Same thing happening to me lads, got at Christmas, grand the first few weeks and then this. I can go hours and it doesn't happen one session, and 5 mins the next and it goes off

just tried followong Sonys suggestion and it has only gotten worse could'nt get through a full game of call of duty without it happening and now its stuck in safe mode :(

I've tried a few suggestions I'v heard, even switching power cables was one, nothing has worked, very frustrating :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ring Sony, or/and where you got it, Bring it back.

• Advertisement

any chance anyone knows the return procedure for bringing ps4 back to gamestop? and if i sent back to sony will i get a new replacement or a refurbished one? thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

any chance anyone knows the return procedure for bringing ps4 back to gamestop?

Bring the console and receipt into the shop...
    and if i sent back to sony will i get a new replacement or a refurbished one? thanks

Doubt it's a refurb, ring them to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

ugh this would age you.

Played fine for 15-20 minutes again, before wallop. On and off multiple times by itself, in the space of a few seconds. Never fully loaded up. then got stuck in Safe mode. Every time tried to Restart from the menu, or reinitialise, it would switch off and back to safe mode. Couldnt even turn it off.
    In the end had to pull the plug from the wall.
    Took out and reinserted the HDD, powered back on and one of the reinitialisation attempts must have worked because it was back to factory settings (although with v1.52 already installed...).
    Seems ok now again, just downloaded netflix and in the process of downloading resogun for the last 15 or so minutes. Wishful thinking that I might have cured itself... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Get rid of it before it really breaks.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Bring the console and receipt into the shop...

Doubt it's a refurb, ring them to find out.

just meant if theres a load of red tape involved with getting a replacement like do they have to send it off to sony or will they swap out a console there and then, tried sony couldnt get a straight answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I would return it to the shop and they may test it and see it's faulty and replace it on the spot. Gamestop will do that I think if you have bought it within 30 days (store policy though and they are not legally obliged to do this). After 30 days they usually send it to Sony for testing and Sony are entitled to repair it, send you a new one or even a refurbished one which could be one someone has returned or one that has been repaired but will be to the same standard as a brand new one (Dell do this all the time with monitors and often the refurbs are tested and inspected for faults to a higher level than ones manufactured brand new in the factory). They won't be able to tell you over the phone what they will do as it depends on whether the fault is easily fixable and if not, what replenishment stock they have on hand.

Then again, if the shop has plenty of stock and the manager is sound he might just replace it for you on the spot regardless of when you bought it there. If the shop ask you to send it to Sony yourself that usually isn't because they don't want to deal with it, but because on new products like the PS4, often dealing with the manufacturer directly results in a quicker solution rather than the shop having to send it off. Usually the manufacturer is setup to handle returns after the introduction of a new product and from reading these forums Sony's turn around time is pretty good. Of course you are within your rights to insist the shop deal with it, if they want to send it for repair. You won't know till you go in anyway. I usually find gamestop fairly accommodating. Please let us know how you get on.

To follow up, had to get mine shipped off to Sony last week :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Damien360

PSN forums have a lot of users with same issue. Lots of discussion about changing the power cable and HDMI cable of all things.

Does not help you but I will be waiting until end of year before purchase just in case this is a design issue.

in the end rang sony and re installed the firmware completely and this seems to have fixed the issue as haven't had a problem with it since :)

in the end rang sony and re installed the firmware completely and this seems to have fixed the issue as haven't had a problem with it since :)

Glad you had significantly less bother than me!! Hopefully mine is working properly once it returns!!

Damien360 wrote: »
    PSN forums have a lot of users with same issue. Lots of discussion about changing the power cable and HDMI cable of all things.

Does not help you but I will be waiting until end of year before purchase just in case this is a design issue.

Ye unfortunately none of those things helped! It does seem to be a design thing in a lot of them, some people like myself just those who were unlucky enough to be affected. Free repair though seeing as it is under guarantee still, won't complain to much as long as it comes back fixed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Ye unfortunately none of those things helped! It does seem to be a design thing in a lot of them, some people like myself just those who were unlucky enough to be affected. Free repair though seeing as it is under guarantee still, won't complain to much as long as it comes back fixed!!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you track your repair? Mine was sent off to be fixed as the blu-ray drive failed but I've heard nothing since DPD confirmed they'd delivered it to its destination. Sony are not answering my emails. I tried phoning them and each time I've been on hold for 30ish minutes and I cant afford to keep doing that at work!

fixxxer wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you track your repair? Mine was sent off to be fixed as the blu-ray drive failed but I've heard nothing since DPD confirmed they'd delivered it to its destination. Sony are not answering my emails. I tried phoning them and each time I've been on hold for 30ish minutes and I cant afford to keep doing that at work!

Well the guy on the phone from Sony gave me a tracking number, although I haven't used it to actually check. When did you send it off?

Early last week. I have confirmation it was delivered to the address on the shipping label but I've not heard anything since. I have a reference number for the repair but nothing to use it with. No answer to emails, cant get through on the phone service during my breaks. I just wondered if there was a website you could input the reference number and see the details.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Early last week. I have confirmation it was delivered to the address on the shipping label but I've not heard anything since. I have a reference number for the repair but nothing to use it with. No answer to emails, cant get through on the phone service during my breaks. I just wondered if there was a website you could input the reference number and see the details.

There was meant to be a website but I'm not sure. I got mine back Tuesday morning in the post (the 29th). Before that I received an email last Thursday (24th) saying they were sending it out and to expect it within 5 working days. This was a week after they emailed to say they had received it (17th). If that helps at all!

Also they sent me out a completely new one so they may do the same for you if it was a complete right off

• Advertisement

There was meant to be a website but I'm not sure. I got mine back Tuesday morning in the post (the 29th). Before that I received an email last Thursday (24th) saying they were sending it out and to expect it within 5 working days. This was a week after they emailed to say they had received (22nd). If that helps at all!

Also they sent me out a completely new one so they may do the same for you if it was a complete right off
    Cheers, I got an email last night saying they had received it. Slightly odd as I finally got through to someone on the phone on Tuesday and they said it had been received Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭PMC83

Well mine just decided to stop working today. It powers on for all of 2 seconds then cuts off?

I got mine in argos a few months back, can I bypass the shop and just go straight onto sony with the issue? Will they pick it up?

PMC83 wrote: »
    Well mine just decided to stop working today. It powers on for all of 2 seconds then cuts off?

I got mine in argos a few months back, can I bypass the shop and just go straight onto sony with the issue? Will they pick it up?

As far as I know you have to contact Sony first. I got mine in Argos also and my brother who is manager there and picked it up for me said that I had to contact Sony

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Your contract is with argos, not sony.
    Exhaust that avenue before contactin sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭PMC83

Cheers, I may have no option but to go to sony first, I can't find the receipt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cheers, I may have no option but to go to sony first, I can't find the receipt!

Did you pay by credit/debit card...proof of purchase is all you need I think?

Advertisement