Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help needed - engine compression issue

Options
  • 30-01-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 2.0l petrol auto. Basically the engine is knackered, pistons and rings shot. Can't get a set of pistons anywhere without buying a block with the pistons and don't have the money they are looking for.

Decided to go for a rebore and .5 oversized pistons. Found a crowd up in Armagh that would do the work and supply the pistons at a really good price. Sent the block up with an old piston and it turns out the pistons they got in are low compression pistons and are slighty more that 2mm shorter than the originals. Right height oversized pistons impossible to get.

Now I'm not a mechanic and I don't really understand the whole compression ratio thing but I have been told that these pistons won't do a whole lot. The guys doing the rebore have suggested skimming the block by 1mm to give the pistons more height and compression. They have also said they have concerns about this knocking the timing out.

So what I'm after is advice from someone out there who has experience in this type of work and guide me before I tell the guys to go ahead and skim the 1mm.

Any ideas, thoughts and help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You are heading for a world of hurt. Get a good second-hand engine for it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Ideally, you should fit the right parts, as opposed to modifying the engine to suit the available parts. Seems like a half baked approach to your problem. As stated, a replacement engine would be the way to go. Start checking the breakers, Donedeal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

Perhaps you should consider Cutting your losses and put it on donedeal damaged repairable as is, needing engine , and move on.

The lads in Armagh are messers taking the p1ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Do Suzuki not sell pistons and rings individually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Is there no other suzuki that shares pistons? Also the 2.0 gvs are hateful yokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 mbyrnes

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and help. Managed to get a set of new genuine original pistons and rings.
    So hopefully all going well will have it back on road next week.

M.

Advertisement