Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VoiP Primer needed!

Options
  • 30-01-2014 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

I am wondering whether we should look at going VoiP, hear aa lot of good things about Goldfish.

We have:

Modern (2007) Alcatel Digital PABX (OmniPCX officer medium) with 22 extns
    2 fax machines
    New (2014) Elevon Credit card machine.
    Copper DSL, efibre comming soon.

Lots of Irl Mobile, local + trunk calls, also UK/Germany/NL/Sapin?italy/Austria outward calls. + UK Freephone and freefax inwards.

Good savings to be made? Any likely issues that strike you. All advice most welcome!

Cheeers

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Have used www.blueface.ie since 2007, was paying eircon about 4k a year for calls, fax, isdn etc now paying just under 700 a year (broadband extra) with all uk & ireland calls included. we've 3 locations with 5 staff at the moment.

they use email to fax so the fax machine got binned as well

make sure the pabx is voip compatible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Have used www.blueface.ie since 2007, was paying eircon about 4k a year for calls, fax, isdn etc now paying just under 700 a year (broadband extra) with all uk & ireland calls included. we've 3 locations with 5 staff at the moment.

they use email to fax so the fax machine got binned as well

make sure the pabx is voip compatible

Is that fax to email and email to fax?, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

it does make sense :)

Send faxes by email so i'd email a pdf attachment to 012345678@fax.blueface.ie and the pdf would be faxed to that number, you have to put the whole message in the PDF (also takes text files) I've seen some of our guys initially type the message in the email box and think that the message would also be faxed

when some faxes us it comes in as a PDF to a designated email address

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

We use Bluetooth between offices in North, Dublin and Cork and it is perfect. Never considered using it for all calls mainly because everytime we change anything IT related there are always unexpected problems with modems and compatibility. That is probably because all the IT equipment has grown like topsy . Be interested to hear how you get on. See you are awaiting Efibre we are with Vodafone got it in in two days, unbelievable change to everything you wont know yourself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Moved from Entrepreneurial & Business Management

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

We use Bluetooth between offices in North, Dublin and Cork and it is perfect. Never considered using it for all calls mainly because everytime we change anything IT related there are always unexpected problems with modems and compatibility. That is probably because all the IT equipment has grown like topsy . Be interested to hear how you get on. See you are awaiting Efibre we are with Vodafone got it in in two days, unbelievable change to everything you wont know yourself.

I presume you mean Blueface :D.

You cannot have 20 concurrent on a standard adsl line. FTTC (efibre) will be no problem for that. Allow 100kbps per concurrent call as a general rule of thumb. You can reduce this using the g729 codec but this has lower quality.

Digiweb offer sip trunks and DDIs with no monthly charges, just pay for the calls you make. Out of all of them, they are one of the best I've found for business use. However, Goldfish, while they are using Digi, have not had many problems in the last few years and seem to have a good reputation. They offer time based call routing, etc which Blueface do not. Have a look through the stickies at the top of this forum.

You will also find call quality to be better and clearer than a landline.

Make sure you set up QoS on the router to give priority to voice traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

yes Blueface

OK, so it is not suited until we have a fibre connection. Assuming we have a max of 8 calls running simultaneously, we would need 8 x 100 for up + 8 x 100 for down = 1.6gb,for voice only, am I correct?

OK, so it is not suited until we have a fibre connection. Assuming we have a max of 8 calls running simultaneously, we would need 8 x 100 for up + 8 x 100 for down = 1.6gb,for voice only, am I correct?

100kbps x 8= 800kbps up and 800kbps down. You may get this on a dsl line, though you will need to give voice traffic priority.

It would be more like 1Mbps up and down. I would wait for FTTC (eFibre) since you are squeezing it on a 1Mb line. Though you could use the g729 codec which uses about 50kbps with sip signalling etc. So yes, 8 concurrent calls with g729 until you get eFibre ahould do it. You can test it before porting. You cannot port a line that you will be using for broadband.

Thanks for that, presently we are only getting 0.6-0.7 up and max 6Gb down! I will leave it for arrival of fibre. Typically what would I need to add to utilise our existing phones/exchange equipment?

Cheers
    Peter

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, presently we are only getting 0.6-0.7 up and max 6Gb down! I will leave it for arrival of fibre. Typically what would I need to add to utilise our existing phones/exchange equipment?

Cheers
    Peter

If that is all you are getting then I would hold on for FTTC/eFibre.

What model number is on the pbx? Some have VoIP built in. If not you should be able to get appropriate cards/ISDN/PSTN adapters and utilise VoIP that way.

How many and what type of lines do you have in at the moment?

Advertisement