Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent refuses to deal with house surveyor

Options
  • 30-01-2014 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just thought I'd get your opinion on this. Buying house and about to sign contracts. Solicitor has done his work and is happy for me to sign. I engaged a building surveyor to survey the property. When this wasn't progressing I contacted surveyor who told me agent ignored his email and calls. On contacting estate agent they said they would not deal with this particular surveyor however if I choose someone else they would be more than happy to accommodate ASAP. The estate agent stated previous experiences with this surveyor that led to damage (floorboards etc) being caused costing purchaser €'000s.The original surveyor says that the estate agent lost a couple of sales because of what they discovered on their surveys. The reason I originally took on this surveyor is because of the level of detail that they go into but not to the point of damage.

I had no choice but to engage another surveyor that the agent that I had dealt with in past. Who would you believe? Would you have insisted on your original choice of surveyor or even reconsidered the purchase?

All points of view welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Estate agents are slippery eels but in fairness he said any other surveyor would be fine so in this case you have to take him at his word.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its not for the EA to approve of a surveyor or not. If you want a certain guy they have no right to refuse it.

EA's aren't out to protect the purchaser so him or her trying the angle of were protecting you from damage and saving you money just doesn't sit right with me. Id have demanded the original surveyor be used and if they continued to refuse Id have gone direct to the seller (if possible) and if not to the seller via their solicitor to let them know whats going on.

Advertisement