Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice?

Options
  • 30-01-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

I am out sick from work since monday(i work shift)tues,wed and thurs,are my scheduled days off.Im due back tomorrow,i contacted my supervisor telling him im still not 100% and wont be back till saturday.He replied no problem but a cert would be required.
    My contract states that a cert is required on the 3rd day,if out sick for 3 or more days.I have technically only been out for 2 work days,because of the shift pattern.
    Can i be forced to bring in a cert?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well if you want to be technical unless your policy specifies 3 work days you need a cert because you're out for more then three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Pretty sure it relates to work days.
    Im also pretty sure if i returned to work tomorrow i would'nt be asked to produce a cert,even tho i still would have been out for more than 3 days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes you can be asked to produce a cert, one place I worked in had a policy that if you were out sick Friday and Monday you had to get a cert even though it was technically only 2 days out, but four full days due to Sat/Sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Read your contract/hand book. Some employers require a cert after X days even if X days includes your days off. Reason: Bradford factor and the majority of days off fall around other days off strangely enough.

Can they force you no. Can they discipline you / not pay you sick pay, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

When I managed in a MN where shifts were done.. Requesting certs before the 3 days was at the managers discretion..
    So.. if you've been asked to produce a cert then you need to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You've been sick since Monday, you're still feeling sick on Thursday.

To hell with whether your boss can require it or not, if you're too sick to work for that long, you should be going to the doctor anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Had something similar about nov last year,and thought i could fight it off without the need for anit-biotics this time around......i was wrong.

So yeah you're right,off to the doc i go.

BTW thanks for the medical advice.

Advertisement