Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurgency

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Looks good but it's no planetside :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Looks good but it's no planetside :p

Yeah, this game needs to be ten times less hardware efficient and go on for ever and ever with no sense of progress or resolution.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Zillah wrote: »
    Yeah, this game needs to be ten times less hardware efficient and go on for ever and ever with no sense of progress or resolution.

Have you played PS2 recently? Its vastly different than it was 6 months even 3 months ago.
    Performance is fantastic now,the game is more or less an fps with more progress than pretty much any fps ive played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Dcully wrote: »
    Have you played PS2 recently? Its vastly different than it was 6 months even 3 months ago.
    Performance is fantastic now,the game is more or less an fps with more progress than pretty much any fps ive played.

It has zero progress, nothing you do matters within a hour. It's been over a year and still no new continent even though it was promised for last April. We do have hats though, lots and lots of hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I have Insurgency (ON TOPIC!) and it's pretty great. There are days where nothing goes right and you never get to fire a shot, but others where you are Iron Man.

Nobody uses smoke grenades enough.
    Nobody.

• Advertisement

It has zero progress, nothing you do matters within a hour. It's been over a year and still no new continent even though it was promised for last April. We do have hats though, lots and lots of hats.

It has as much progress as any fps which is fine as i never expected anything more and im playing since Planetside 1.
    You might say its an mmo but its not in the true sense of the word,its an fps of massive scale.

Back on topic Insurgency looks fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I have not, this is good news. The main real problem for me though is there is never any sense of accomplishment. At least in Counterstrike/Battlefield etc there are rounds, and you can win or lose a round. With Planetside there is no sense of "we have to take back that point!" because who cares? It'll flip back and forth once an hour for the next ten years with absolutely no relevance.

So Insurgency looks like a nicely non-condescending game that will actually force you to stop and think a bit.

Zillah wrote: »
    I have not, this is good news. The main real problem for me though is there is never any sense of accomplishment. At least in Counterstrike/Battlefield etc there are rounds, and you can win or lose a round. With Planetside there is no sense of "we have to take back that point!" because who cares? It'll flip back and forth once an hour for the next ten years with absolutely no relevance.

Without trying to sound like a tool its obvious you or anybody else who thinks there is no goal, no incentive to "we have to take back that point!" have not played the game in ages thus really shouldnt be judging a game in its current state without playing it.
    Are you aware of alerts?
    Plenty of incentive to get involved, not only for the epic battles but a lovely xp bonus and gain too.

http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Alerts

Back on topic Insurgency is awesome.
    Its a breath of fresh air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Me and a few buddies will be playing this tomorrow hopefully, looks great i must say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Played a few rounds of it just now. Absolutely love it so far its like my holy grail of fps games

Feel free to join me on the Gaellords teamspeak and we can play a few round cooperatively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Feel free to join me on the Gaellords teamspeak and we can play a few round cooperatively.

Haha we've been regulars in there the last few days playing dayz, doc09unam is my steam if you want to add me I'll give ya a shout when we're jumping on!

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

So its COD4 again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

TheFairy wrote: »
    So its COD4 again?
    -No Minimap
    -No Perks
    -No sprinting with ghost and just knifing people

Seems completely removed from COD4 to me

I loved COD4 btw, this also looks good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

TheFairy wrote: »
    So its COD4 again?

Far from it. Its like a mix between SWAT and Counter strike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Is this just a remake of the old source mode ?

Pretty good game, one shot kills pretty much.

But felt like a buggier version of red orchestra. On smaller maps.

Spunge wrote: »
    Is this just a remake of the old source mode ?

Pretty good game, one shot kills pretty much.

But felt like a buggier version of red orchestra. On smaller maps.

Yeah, it's very similar. Even some of the old maps have been ported over.

The menu system is miles ahead of the mod though.

I'll have a look at getting a coop server up. Passworded to something like "boardsie". I'll get back to you!

I'll have a look at getting a coop server up. Passworded to something like "boardsie". I'll get back to you!

Server up!

Search for "GaelLords.com coop" or connect to 78.46.47.195

I'm not 100% if the map rotation is working properly.
    Let me know if you want any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I picked this up myself on Monday and am undecided on it.
    If you play with small teams the game is simply dead boring. If you play with large teams the game can be over in 2-3 minutes.

It's strange but you can fire on someone and not know if you killed the person until the end of the round which I guess is realistic but it's more annoying as it appears to me that the weapons are not very accurate or the hit detection is off.

I loved the original but this doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade at all . In fact I'd say it's not as good.

It reminds me too a little of that WW1 game Verdun , lots of people not too sure what they are supposed to do in each round and it turns into a messy free for all.

• Advertisement

It's strange but you can fire on someone and not know if you killed the person until the end of the round

Old school method of hitting tab to see if you got the kill or not.

Old school method of hitting tab to see if you got the kill or not.

They have an option to disable that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

How many boardsies are playing this so far? Maybe a list of Steam usernames? Just got it and am enjoying it however you really need to be in a squad with teamspeak or something to get the best out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I saw this game on Steam a while ago and watched a Youtube review of it. It seemed pretty cool to me as I still play CS:S from time to time but I'm not the best and wondering is it alot more difficult?

Is it a nice game to jump into for a few rounds to fire a few shots or is it positioning, etc. alot more important?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Hi lads, just got this a while back but didnt get into it yet, looks really good. Im pretty new to online fps, (have some time on BF3/4, and thats about it) are ye playing regularly as teams/squads or whats the setup?

Ill try to get on it soon and if anyone wants to hold my hand through a few games

:D

im Sirinava on Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Hey all, getting back into this game after trying it briefly back in March, totally lovin it. Are ye all still playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=r4DFs2bHGzYDSkNx

3 free copies of Insurgency to whoever wants to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Cheers for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I took a copy as well, thanks for sharing! Will give this a go tonight! Played Insurgency when it was first around, thought it was OK, didn't stick with it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Was on the fence about this game since it came out, its rather good.

Very GR/Swat feel to it.

Feel bad now for not buying it :(

Advertisement