Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little help with AutoCad

Options
  • 30-01-2014 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

I learned how to use CAD in college before. I just want to refresh my skills on Auto cad.

What i want to know is the best way to start off a drawing. In college we set up the drawing page first by setting the limits then setting the layers, but i was told by another person to just start drawing once the layers had been made and the appropriate layer selected.

i have downloaded CAD 2014 and just want to do a few drawings to refresh my memory etc

Thanks in advance people!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

I'd always setup my layers & units and start designing. You can always copy and paste your design into a company standard dwg template that has all the borders etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cianoc07

yes layers is definite, but when you say units do you mean just millimeters or do you set your limits. In college our lecturer told us to set our limits to 0,0,10000.. But I was told by a friend to just set layers and the units being used (ie mm) and start drawing.

I was doing a bit of research on limits and its just really about your drawing space and how far you can zoom out. Im guessing its just a way to keep your drawing in a certain area, but this method may not work if the building or project has a large footprint. Correct if im wrong now haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Tails142

Its probably good practice to set your limits but not something that I have ever done.

The thing about AutoCAD is that there are often many ways to get the job done, 100 ways to skin a cat and all that. But getting the job done and following best practice are usually two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Ive have been drawing for 10 years now and have never once set limits. Its not necessary at all. Project often have coordinates far beyond that of any limits you may set your drawing to.
    Best way to start i find (as everyone has different preferences) is to create a template for yourself. Say build up a list of layers you will find that are reoccuring. Have a typical plot style and print setup added to this template. Then every time you start a new drawing simply open this template and you are ready to go.

Advertisement