Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning 40 and miss my mum

Options
  • 30-01-2014 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm a 39yo guy with 2 days left til I hit the big 40. I lost my mum to cancer 5 years ago and to be honest, while it was an horrific time , life has got back to normal and things are good. But this last week, it's really all coming back and I suppose it's because I'm feeling slightly nostalgic about the birthday. I miss her. Isn't that a bit silly for a 40 yo married Dad? Aren't men supposed to be stronger than this?

Don't really know why I'm posting this but typing it out makes me feel a bit better so hey!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I'm sorry for your loss.

It's not a but silly. I would be worried if you didn't have periods like this - she was your mum after all.

Are you able to talk about your loss? It might help.

Hope you feel better soon and happy birthday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jack7

Of course, its only natural to miss her especially around your birthday.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY

• Registered Users Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Happy Birthday!!

Only natural to miss your mam, the fact that it's your birthday probably makes it more poignant that she's not here to celebrate this milestone with you. Just give yourself a moment somewhere during the day to just think about how you feel and go with it, strong men are allowed to have feelings too :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Agree its because its a milestone birthday that you are naturally going to feel emotional. Allow yourself to cry.....
    I lost someone 20 long years ago and some days it can feel like yesterday...only takes a song on the radio to make the tears come flooding. Time doesnt erase the pain you just learn to live with it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

my Mam Died a year ago tomorrow, I am 52 but feel less. She was the glue that held the family together. My dad died 15 yrs ago. I have 6 siblings and try to keep in touch but It's not the same anymore. Its ok to feel as you do. We all used to run to ''Mammy'' Take care.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

My mam is nearly 20 years dead (im 26) and I still can't talk about her to anyone without welling up. We are reminded of her on every occasion that she misses, every birthday etc. I usually feel silly for getting upset but a good cry helps. Hope you had a lovely birthday

Advertisement