Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gibson Les Paul 'Buying guide help!

Options
  • 30-01-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

I'm considering buying my first Gibson, I used to own an 'Epiphone Zakk Wylde bullseye' a few years ago and sold it on, and i loved it. i currently own a 'Fender 60's Road Worn stratocaster' (for sale) but been kinda missing the LP.
    these two models caught my eye,
    Gibson LP 60s Trib. VS 2013 Min-ETune
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_lp_6...s_2013_met.htm
    Or for a bit more a studio
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 VS CH
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_les_...2013_vs_ch.htm

just wondering anyone got either of them what they like? don't live near any musical instrument shops so id have to travel to Dublin or somewhere to look at similar ones
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Really, your best bet would be to head into Waltons in Dublin and try some of them out. They have a great selection of Gibsons these days.

The Studio will be more luxurious than the Tribute, despite being a relatively 'no-frills' guitar itself.

I am not convinced by he Min-e Tune system. The first generation was very poorly implemented and essentially abandoned by Gibson for a couple of years before they brought it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

I'm leaning heavily towards the studio I only have a certain budget so its as far as price I'm willing to go. i don't know much about that Min-e Tune system, is there any other good places in dublin city centre area aswell as walton's thats worth a visit for guitars while I'm in dublin?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Nodferatu wrote: »
    I'm considering buying my first Gibson, I used to own an 'Epiphone Zakk Wylde bullseye' a few years ago and sold it on, and i loved it. i currently own a 'Fender 60's Road Worn stratocaster' (for sale) but been kinda missing the LP.
    these two models caught my eye,
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_lp_6...s_2013_met.htm
    Or for a bit more a studio
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_les_...2013_vs_ch.htm

just wondering anyone got either of them what they like? don't live near any musical instrument shops so id have to travel to Dublin or somewhere to look at similar ones

Those links are dead already. Second hand Standards can go for €900 or used Studios for €500 ish on adverts.

Don't know how they are dead links, they are to the 2013 & 2014 model's still listed on the thomann.de/ie page!!!
    just did an adverts search the cheapest second hand 'Gibson Standard' i can see on there is, €1350
    can get a brand new studio pro cheaper brand new for that!

Don't know how they are dead links, they are to the 2013 & 2014 model's still listed on the thomann.de/ie page!!!
    just did an adverts search the cheapest second hand 'Gibson Standard' i can see on there is, €1350
    can get a brand new studio pro cheaper brand new for that!

Pricey, but a grand would probably get a ebony Standard

Check out this MIJ Edwards
    http://www.adverts.ie/electric-guitars/edwards-esp-john-sykes-replica-esp-japanese-made/4476866

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The links aren't dead, just malformed (looks like they got truncated somewhere between the copy and paste)

Here's the full links on case anyone wants them:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_lp_60s_tribute_vs_2013_met.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_les_paul_studio_2013_vs_ch.htm

Those links are dead already. Second hand Standards can go for €900 or used Studios for €500 ish on adverts.

Can't say I've ever really seen any €900 standards on Adverts either.

I stand corrected then, though the third one does have a headstock repair.

whats the big difference between studio's and standards? the 2014 studio pro actually looks pretty nice too for 1250 or something

Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 2014
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_les_paul_studio_pro_2014_tbc.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

If your not stuck to Gibson you should have a look at these

http://www.adverts.ie/3365213

http://www.adverts.ie/4719140

Ive owned both Burny & Orville guitars & both would be as good if not better than a lot of Gibsons ive owned

Gibson quality can be touch & go at the minute so I would try to play before buying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

The only reason I'm selling my Edwards is because I had* to get a Gibson. I play in an 80s tribute band and the midi pickup I use to get all synthy on things doesn't match the Edwards' string spacing.

They're easily the equivalent of Gibson and far better than the newer ones. I would NEVER buy a Gibson Les Paul off the internet. There's a lot of variances in quality in recent ones. Add to that there's so much wood taken out of them nowadays that the tone for me is not the same.

My advice - hit up adverts, Some Neck Guitars, Jimi's Music Store anywhere you can try one out and get the one that rocks your world the most. If budget is a concern - Edwards, Burny, Orville - Japan keeps giving!

Edwards, Burny, Orville - Japan keeps giving!

Don't forget Tokai :cool:

Don't forget Tokai :cool:

Sorry, and Tokai!

Edwards are milled in China and assembled in Japan.

For everyone who criticises recent Gibsons there's someone else who lavishes them with praise. If they don't chamber the bodies they often weigh over 10lbs, like they did in the 70s and 80s. Some people dismiss those ones for neck volutes and pancake bodies. You have to go back to 1960 to win. But then again none of us have ever tried those Gibsons.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Edwards are milled in China and assembled in Japan.

For everyone who criticises recent Gibsons there's someone else who lavishes them with praise. If they don't chamber the bodies they often weigh over 10lbs, like they did in the 70s and 80s. Some people dismiss those ones for neck volutes and pancake bodies. You have to go back to 1960 to win. But then again none of us have ever tried those Gibsons.

My '93 Les Paul Standard is the business. Wouldn't trade for a '59....

My '93 Les Paul Standard is the business. Wouldn't trade for a '59....

I've played a 1957 Les Paul Custom and honestly if I swapped it for my 2004 I'd sell it and buy another 2004 and buy nice things with the change.

The guitar is worth loads because it's special, it's too expensive to perform with so it's like a vicious circle!

Well im back to report to you guys that i am now the proud owner of a Gibson Les Paul. Im in love with her.
    I went to Waltons musical store in dublin last week, Got to handle a few and get a feel for them weight wise and check the necks. I ended up stretching past my original budget and splashed out on the Gibson Les paul classic 2014 in vintage sunburst. I cant explain how happy i am. Shes a real beauty. Ill post some pics of it up later today, but want to say thanks everyone for advice on guitar makes to check out aswell but my mind was set on a gibson as ive wanted one since i started to learn guitar years ago and have always wanted one. And im not disappointed its the guitar of my dreams. Great sounds and great sustain. Even the smell of the timber smells exotic. I can see why gibsons are expensive, Alot of work gone into this baby. Pearl Gibson logo on the headstock. Kluson deluxe pearloid tuners, cream hardware, 57' classic pickups which can be coil split by lifting up the volume knobs so your getting double the tone varietys. 125th anniversary banner inlay at 12th fret, beautiful maple cap. The neck is similar size of my fender strat so its perfect for me i dont have large hands. All in all worth every penny to me. New toy :-)

20140208_105332_zpse122425b.jpg

8e8c0630-ea59-437d-8b14-f66998ea4766_zps9acecb8c.jpg

20140208_105252_zps83ab2aee.jpg

20140208_105242_zpsa4967020.jpg

20140208_105216_zpsf654f249.jpg

20140208_105204_zps46d78182.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

She's a beauty. I hope you make great music together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Very nice , Looks just like my one on here somewhere

Best of luck with it !

Nice stuff. What does the mini toggle do? Is it series/parallel?

15db booster, it seems.

Funny how it's called the Les Paul Classic, when there's nothing strictly 'classic' about it.

Advertisement