Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on moving to OZ

Options
  • 30-01-2014 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Sorry for making a new thread but im finding it hard to get the info I need. I'm looking to move to Australia and i'm unsure about what visa to get, where to go etc. Im 23 and I have an undergrad degree in commerce and I finished a masters in international business in November. Been to around 20 interviews since November here but my lack of experience is getting in the way so I've decided to look abroad. So a few questions if anyone can help;

Can you get sponsored to work permanently in oz while on a WHV?
    Is the WHV the visa i should be going for?
    For someone with my qualifications, where in oz would be the best place to go?

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Dannyg90 wrote: »
    Sorry for making a new thread but im finding it hard to get the info I need. I'm looking to move to Australia and i'm unsure about what visa to get, where to go etc. Im 23 and I have an undergrad degree in commerce and I finished a masters in international business in November. Been to around 20 interviews since November here but my lack of experience is getting in the way so I've decided to look abroad. So a few questions if anyone can help;

Can you get sponsored to work permanently in oz while on a WHV?
    Is the WHV the visa i should be going for?
    For someone with my qualifications, where in oz would be the best place to go?

Any help would be appreciated!
    Yes
    Yes
    Melbourne or Sydney

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Been to around 20 interviews since November here but my lack of experience is getting in the way so I've decided to look abroad.

How have you managed to get to so many interviews? great stuff! I've not got one since coming home!

I think the collective use of "i'm moving to Australia" needs to be changed to I'm going to Australia. Theres a big difference between moving and going. Its easy to move to London. It is not so easy to move to Australia for someone like you, and me.

There is plenty of information on this forum on what you have to do to gain the second year visa. Its tough to move to Australia do 3 months rural work, which usually takes a lot longer, get settled in a city and begin your job hunt. I managed to gain 9 months experience as a Town Planner in Melbourne.

The WHV is not a visa in which to move to Australia in.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

thanks Zambia for the quick reply!
    any advice on how the best ways to find a 'proper' job after I've done the 3 months rural work? e.g. agencies, jobs sites etc? or is it the same as over here?

@danotroy I understand what you're saying, but isn't the WHV the best way of going over as a stepping stone to permanent work?
    oh and for all the interviews I'm told that its my masters thats getting me in the door :rolleyes:

any advice on how the best ways to find a 'proper' job after I've done the 3 months rural work? e.g. agencies, jobs sites etc? or is it the same as over here?

@danotroy I understand what you're saying, but isn't the WHV the best way of going over as a stepping stone to permanent work?
    oh and for all the interviews I'm told that its my masters thats getting me in the door :rolleyes:

In my opinion the WHV is lauded up by the Irish as the gateway to Australia and to some it is and to some it works. However, the vast majority have to leave when the visa runs out. The WHV is also not seen by Australian employers as an adequate work visa.

If I were you I would stay in Ireland and get on Jobbridge and when you have this completed apply for jobs in the UK and Ireland. I did a 3 months of 4 days weeks in an office for free in melbourne. This is while living in a very expensive city with no state benefits on offer. Job bridge gets an awful slating but you have zero experience and a masters it will be next to near impossible for you to find a company willing to hire you in Australia.

You have to bear in mind you will have to find a short term contract as you can only work for the one employer for 6 months. You cannot apply for any roles with a 12 month contract. If you get a short term role then you have to convince them to extend your contact and go though the whole sponsoring process. This is if you find an employer within the first 6 months and then if they don't sponsor you you will not have completed your regional work so you will be turfed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭browne_rob5

With the WHV you can only work in a role for 6 months so its hard to get taken on in a "proper job". You can look for sponsorship but companies are a lot less likely to pay for it these days as the cost went up last year and the regulations surrounding it have too.

You are only really going to get sponsored in something if you have a lot of experience in something for which labour is in short supply.

London would probably be a better option if you havent looked already.

• Advertisement

Rob has eloquently summarised my point. My experience is as follows.

Graduated at 24 with a masters in town planning no work in Ireland or the UK so I "moved" to Melbourne. All my uni friends got bar jobs and started looking for volunteer and graduate roles. I got a bar job and tried for months to get on my feet when I finally did I had 6 months left to find regional work. I had to work for free on a farm for 4 months to get signed off. I wanted to stay near Melbourne so I could keep attending planning seminars, community meetings, and keep applying for jobs. It was the hardest 4 months of my life. I got my second year and kept trying for jobs and attending anything that planners would be at, all this while working 40 hours a week in a bar and trying to live a good quality of life with my new girlfriend. I got very lucky a mates friend was a planner with the city, she thought we would get on so introduced us and I got a 3 month research contract. After that I interned and volunteered at various bodies. I built up a great network of contacts then my visa ran out. I'm home now and there are plenty of opportunities for graduate planners in the UK. But low and behold its my old uni mates the year after us and even this years graduates who are now napping these roles as they have contacts in the UK industry.

I am glad I went to Oz I do not regret the experience for one bit. However, All my friends are now in their roles for the last 12 months and they are stepping up the ladder and being replaced by graduates with contacts in the industry i'm a little out of the loop as my oz contacts are well in oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The whv will get you living and working in oz. You might not like it.

Advertisement