Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Speeds but perfect connection

Options
  • 30-01-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

So weird probem here

We just moved home and our connecton in new house is bad.

The speeds we are getting while downloading or streaming is around 100-150KB/s. But our line says it is syncing at 15mb.

I have tried various devices using both wireless and ethernet. I would put the problem down to congestion but it is all the time and getting mobile broadband speeds just is not good enough.

Any help would be appreciated.

I checked with two different ericom routers as well same problem.

The ATM test in the router also fails

Below are my line stats.

broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode : ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
    Speed: 15360 kbps/765 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 26.5 dB/ 12.8 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6.5 dB/ 16.0 dB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

So weird probem here

The speeds we are getting while downloading or streaming is around 100-150KB/s. But our line says it is syncing at 15mb.

I have tried various devices using both wireless and ethernet. I would put the problem down to congestion but it is all the time and getting mobile broadband speeds just is not good enough.

Below are my line stats.
    Connection

broadband:
    Connected

DSL Mode :
    ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)

Speed:
    15360 kbps/765 kbps

Line Attenuation(Down/Up):
    26.5 dB/ 12.8 dB

DSL Noise Margin:
    6.5 dB/ 16.0 dB

Your attenuation is too high and snr too low for syncing at that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

vishal wrote: »
    So weird probem here

Below are my line stats.
    Connection

broadband:
    Connected

DSL Mode :
    ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)

Speed:
    15360 kbps/765 kbps

26.5 dB/ 12.8 dB

DSL Noise Margin:
    6.5 dB/ 16.0 dB

Your attenuation is too high and snr too low for syncing at that speed.
    I dont think so, it is near enough the same to what it was in old place and download speeds were ~1.2MB/s

And it is syncing the same on 2 eircom dsl routers and an efibre one (although that doesnt connect at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

So weird probem here

Below are my line stats.

broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode : ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
    Speed: 15360 kbps/765 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 26.5 dB/ 12.8 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6.5 dB/ 16.0 dB
    HI TheReverend

Sorry to hear this. Yes something certainly does not seem right, can you PM me your landline number and I'll look in to this for you?

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 46 naysayer

I'm having a very similar problem.
    The connection looks okay, but the actual speeds are very low.
    ATM test also failing, though I'm not sure what that means.

I'd be grateful if you could suggest anything I could try to improve it.
    PM'd you phone no also. Thanks!

Connection

broadband:
    Connected

DSL Mode :
    ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)

Speed:
    15360 kbps/765 kbps

17.8 dB/ 8.6 dB

DSL Noise Margin:
    6.5 dB/ 17.2 dB

naysayer wrote: »
    I'm having a very similar problem.
    The connection looks okay, but the actual speeds are very low.
    ATM test also failing, though I'm not sure what that means.

I'd be grateful if you could suggest anything I could try to improve it.
    PM'd you phone no also. Thanks!

Connection

broadband:
    Connected

DSL Mode :
    ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)

Speed:
    15360 kbps/765 kbps

17.8 dB/ 8.6 dB

DSL Noise Margin:
    6.5 dB/ 17.2 dB

Hi naysayer

I can see the noise margin is very low which can indicate that the speeds set are too much for what the line can safely handle.

I've tested everything else and I can see that there are no external faults, no internal issues surround the internal connection, no sign of interference and your modems firmware is fully up to date.

The best advice I can possibly offer is to raise this with broadband technical support who will have more insight in to this. Technical support can also lower the speeds a little to see if this stabalises things for you. If you mention this corrispndance and my findings it will help the agent you speak to have a good start at looking in to this for you.

Technical support can be contacted on free phone 1901 (option 3 then 2 after entering your landline number) or alternatively 1890260260.

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 naysayer

Hi naysayer

I can see the noise margin is very low which can indicate that the speeds set are too much for what the line can safely handle.

I've tested everything else and I can see that there are no external faults, no internal issues surround the internal connection, no sign of interference and your modems firmware is fully up to date.

The best advice I can possibly offer is to raise this with broadband technical support who will have more insight in to this. Technical support can also lower the speeds a little to see if this stabalises things for you. If you mention this corrispndance and my findings it will help the agent you speak to have a good start at looking in to this for you.

Technical support can be contacted on free phone 1901 (option 3 then 2 after entering your landline number) or alternatively 1890260260.

Thanks

Al
    Thanks, I'll give them a call.

Sorry for hijacking Reverend!

naysayer wrote: »
    Hi naysayer

Thanks

Al
    Thanks, I'll give them a call.

Sorry for hijacking Reverend!
    No worries naysayer

Thanks

Al

Advertisement