Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lobster emergency

Options
  • 30-01-2014 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I want Lobster in Dublin and I dont want to go to Rock Lobster - its too far away.

Has anyone got any suggestions for Lobster in Dublin city centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's probably too late now, but if you ever get late evening lobster cravings again, Bite on St Richmond St in D2 serve lobster. They serve it in a burger/roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Super Miss Sue, the new seafood place on Stephen St has lobster, went for dinner tonight - lobster was gone by 20.30 though, the OH was very disappointed.

You can get lobster in Fallon and Byrne no doubt, they stay open until around nine most evenings.

I'd say you can get lobster (frozen) in most supermarkets now.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Cliff townhouse on Stephens Green, great seafood restaurant. Went to a special lobster tasting menu there last June, it was absolutely delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

Sounds like a great idea - i thought of that one. But Bite is closed!
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's probably too late now, but if you ever get late evening lobster cravings again, Bite on St Richmond St in D2 serve lobster. They serve it in a burger/roll.

Super Miss Sue - I saw that place. Was wondering what it was.

I don't mind going early but I definitely don't want to cook it myself. Don't have a pot big enough

tfak85 wrote: »
    Super Miss Sue, the new seafood place on Stephen St has lobster, went for dinner tonight - lobster was gone by 20.30 though, the OH was very disappointed.

You can get lobster in Fallon and Byrne no doubt, they stay open until around nine most evenings.

I'd say you can get lobster (frozen) in most supermarkets now.

• Advertisement

I think they only have it on occasion It doesn't seem to be on their menu all the time
    Cliff townhouse on Stephens Green, great seafood restaurant. Went to a special lobster tasting menu there last June, it was absolutely delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Les Freres Jacques will do Lobster. You can even pick who you want to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

I think they only have it on occasion It doesn't seem to be on their menu all the time

Pretty sure it's always there, listed as market price. Also part of the townhouse platter, it's €110 or something though so never had it.

Yea - thats quite steep Not exactly what I want. I think the business model that Rock Lobster have is good. Similarly, the Bite thing was good. Lobster shouldn't be outrageously expensive. You can but them up in Howth for €28 a kilo and this is out of season. In season, it should be possible to get a lobster roll or something similar I feel.

Last year in the US, soft shell lobster was something ridiculous like $5 a kilo. Now that stuff doesnt travel well but still I think there should be a place for a casual fish/seafood restaurant without breaking the bank.

Going for Super Miss Sue. I reckon that might be what I need

Thanks for all the help
    Pretty sure it's always there, listed as market price. Also part of the townhouse platter, it's €110 or something though so never had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I definitely don't want to cook it myself. Don't have a pot big enough

You can get a pot big enough for about €15 at one of the junk shops near Connolly station... It's my husbands favourite part of Christmas Day

• Advertisement

It's not expensive at all in season. If you have a chat to the lobster men at the various beaches around the Dublin coast you can get lobster for half nothing! One evening last year we got five for fifteen euro - didn't know what to do with ourselves!

If you get it frozen you don't need a big pot because it's cooked already!

Lobster Mac'n'cheese is my fave thing to make with it! I like it but I can't eat a whole tail at once!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Niall s

I want Lobster in Dublin and I dont want to go to Rock Lobster - its too far away.

Has anyone got any suggestions for Lobster in Dublin city centre?

You could always try the new RL in Dundrum! Planning on opening in city center by end of summer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Either Lidl or Aldi(not sure which) often have whole frozen lobster for around a tenner.

Anybody who says lobster can be served on a roll or in bread needs to have the devil let down thier throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

chopper6 wrote: »
    Either Lidl or Aldi(not sure which) often have whole frozen lobster for around a tenner.

Anybody who says lobster can be served on a roll or in bread needs to have the devil let down thier throat.

Lidl has them.But they are fairly disgusting and I wouldnt buy them again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

hfallada wrote: »
    Lidl has them.But they are fairly disgusting and I wouldnt buy them again

Well in my humble opinion,lobster is often vastly over-rated as food anyway.

You can buy them live from tanks in various places and they've been there for so long without being fed that they've started t consume themselves..the shell is large but the meat is lacking.

You can also get lobsters that taste of nothing but mud for the same sort of reason..they've been kept in tanks without the water being changed regularly or the tanks being cleaned out.

A crayfish,although it has no claws has far more meat in the tail section,is usually cheaper and the meat has much more flavour...if neither of these creatures are in season then it's a waste of time buying them.

As somebody pointed out,if you want a good fresh lobster you need to head to a top-end seafood restaraunt like King Citiric or buy them direct from the lobstermen in places like Lougshinney or Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

tfak85 wrote: »
    It's not expensive at all in season. If you have a chat to the lobster men at the various beaches around the Dublin coast you can get lobster for half nothing! One evening last year we got five for fifteen euro - didn't know what to do with ourselves!

If you get it frozen you don't need a big pot because it's cooked already!

Lobster Mac'n'cheese is my fave thing to make with it! I like it but I can't eat a whole tail at once!

Any chance of the reciepe?

Cook your lobster and remove the shell.
    Pop the shell into a pot of milk, bring to the boil and remove from heat, allow to cool somewhat - to allow the flavours to infuse.
    Chop the meat into bite sized chunks and keep to one side.
    Strain the milk and now discard the shells.
    Cook your pasta as normal for mac'n'cheese and make a cheese sauce using your lobster milk.
    Combine all your elements, pop into an oven dish, cover with breadcrumbs and in to the oven until golden brown and crispy!!

It's quite heavy as a whole dinner, works well as a starter or as a side at a BBQ!

Advertisement