Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking help in Cork

Options
  • 30-01-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey guys,

I am on the verge of insanity here, I've been trying to OC my 4670k and the thing just will not boot past 4.2. I think I may have damaged my eyes from reading so many posts/guides/tips yet nothing helps.

I'm wondering if there is anyone around cork City that may be able to come give me a hand and have a look, this is my first attempt and overclocking and I think I need someone with me to explain what we're doing and why.

I am willing to provide tea/coffee and cake, maybe something stronger afterwards. ;)

As I said I'm just going nuts from this, it's possible I simply lost the CPU lottery and mine isn't the greatest but I really think this needs a smarter more experienced person than I to help.

p.s. I took all my will power not to call this thread Overcorking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

make sure your ram isn't being overclocked when you're upping the CPU it usually doesn't scale as well. Turn off all energy saving CPU options ,You might have to bump up the Voltages on the processor . What settings are you running at the moment?
    Not in cork but i can try my best to help you here

2500K @ 4.4Ghz

TBH i wouldnt go too mad about the overclock , it's not going to be the limiting factor , 4.2 is a grand modest Oc that will keep heat and power down and prolong the lifetime of the processor!.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vade

Hey Papu,
    I'm away for a bit but when I get back I'll definitely take you up on the offer of help.

Can't remember the settings offhand but will post details soon.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

From Cork city myself and also running a 4670k @ 4.4Ghz+

Can you list your spec ?

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed reply, as I mentioned I was away for a bit then needed to settle back into work.

My set up is this:

i5 4670k
    MSI Z87-G45
    8gb Vengeance Pro 1600
    Custom water loop
    NZXT HALE82-N 750W 80+ Bronze Certified

I tried playing around with the OC again and absolutely no joy, tried manually setting the CPU voltage and would occasionally boot to windows then crash on me.

I was trying with the following settings and crashing:

CPU Ratio: 42
    Ring Ratio: 41
    CPU Core Voltage Mode: Adaptive
    CPU Core Voltage: 1.2 (Started at 1.050 and worked up)
    CPU Ring Voltage Mode: Adaptive
    CPU Ring Voltage: 1.175 (Started at 1.025 and worked up)

If I simply set the CPU ratio to 42 and leave everything else on [Auto] then this is how CPU-Z and HWMonitor are looking:
    zN69ctxl.jpg

I really don't know what to try next, this is my first attempt at overclocking so I'm a bit lost despite reading everything I could find.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Mi1o

Most important thing, what's Your PSU, also have You check Your bios version, is it latest?

• Advertisement

Bios is up to date and the PSU is NZXT HALE82-N 750W 80+ Bronze Certified

Advertisement